PDA

View Full Version : speed bumps

compo
17-Oct-06, 18:04
i see the council is puting in speed bumps at the highschool i wonder if its going to be any good. a bit pointless realy just like the zebra crossing at the old doctors surgery as the highschool pupils just walk straight out infront of you and dont even think of sounding your horn or saying anything yet if they where to be hit by a motorist then there would be hell to pay. dont they teach them anything about road safety or respect for others it would apear not. so yet again the rate payer has to pay for something thats probably not going to make a diffrence.

Kingetter
17-Oct-06, 18:51
More hassle for the Emergency Services eh? As though they don't have enough already.

JAWS
17-Oct-06, 19:02
High School pupils who are not able to cross a side road without their mummy holding their little handies, whatever next? I wonder if they are capable of dressing themselves in a morning or do they need help doing that as well?

How old will they they have to be before they have learned to cross a road safely by checking to see if there are any vehicles coming?

Kingetter
17-Oct-06, 19:08
Though not all adults seem to have much road sense.

newlabeluk
17-Oct-06, 19:19
We don't have 'Speed Bumps', We have 'Traffic Calming Measures'.
The difference is that the county planner lives in a little village 25miles away has never seen the roads on our estate, I believe he threw a dart and said there will do to use the budget and then designed the measures to be put in length ways,spaced 3 across the carriageway. The Saxo Crew now treat it as a chicane and race round the estate because if you get it just right the lump passes safely between your axles without a hitch or jolt:roll:

brokencross
17-Oct-06, 19:26
We have exactly the same problem here in Middlesbrough, they just step out in front of the car and sneer at you, knowing very well you will stop or at least slow down. If you do toot, you just get the "finger" and verbal abuse.
The council has put adequate pelican crossings and fencing along the pavement but they just use that for high jump. They also push each other out into the path of traffic.
Don't get me going about the teenage cyclists, on the pavement one minute, straight across the road whether it is busy or not, then back on the pavement weaving in and out of pedestrians; all without the slighest consideration for the safety of other or themselves. They deserve to be knocked down, nothing too serious... a broken leg or three and a broken nose or two.

Aahhh I do feel better now.

David from Stockport
17-Oct-06, 20:12
Same in Stockport i hate cyclists- dress all in black dont bother having any lights on there bikes at night and use whichever side of the road they want and just go straight thru red lights, even though i think even cyclists can get points on there licence for pulling stunts like that ,they should get the police community suppost officers to start pulling a few over. Road humps why? the kids are speeding around in stolen cars what do they care about the damage caused by humps. The council here started building little square humps which supposedly a car would have to slow but an ambulance could speed across,they built the humps then changed the type of ambulance ,doh

rfr10
17-Oct-06, 20:41
i see the council is puting in speed bumps at the highschool i wonder if its going to be any good. a bit pointless realy just like the zebra crossing at the old doctors surgery as the highschool pupils just walk straight out infront of you and dont even think of sounding your horn or saying anything yet if they where to be hit by a motorist then there would be hell to pay. dont they teach them anything about road safety or respect for others it would apear not. so yet again the rate payer has to pay for something thats probably not going to make a diffrence.

Exactly what I wanted to see a while ago. Only one thing I cant understand is- Why is one of the speed bumps right at the junction?

JAWS
17-Oct-06, 20:47
There are several methods of dealing with roads which have got the Hump. Remember, Humps vary from place to place so you will have to vary the methods described to suit individual cases.
The collection of pedestrians during any of the below described is definitely not recommended.

1. Use the method previously described of placing wheels either side of the Hump where this is possible.

2. Place on set of wheels in the gap left for rainwater to run away at the side of the road. The other set of wheels will simply ride over the Hump without causing any problem to the vehicle such as it bouncing into the air.

3. Place the vehicle on a low gear, drive as fast as you can before braking to negotiate the Hump then floor the throttle to see what speed can be reached before having to brake for the next hump.

4. Use somebody’s driveway access to drive onto the pavement and avoid the Humps completely.

5. (Definitely not recommended for the law-abiding or faint of heart) Take somebody else's car and see how far you can remain airborne after having hit the Hump at full speed.

6. Try to find a different method in order to test your inventiveness.

7. Remember that if you attract the attention of the local Police whilst trying any of the above, especially No. 5 then you are on your own. I will deny any and all responsibility for these suggestions on the grounds that I am English and cannot help myself due to mental instability and a complete lack of control over my fingers. (Calm down, calm down, I only mean with a keyboard)

I am certain that there are many Orgers who will be only too happy to confirm my lack of mental stability!