PDA

View Full Version : Rhubarb!

unbridled
28-Oct-11, 13:07
Hi! Does anyone have any Rhubarb plants/crowns free or sensibly priced to good home! I brought 4 crowns last year and they disappeared during the winter - don't know what happened to them, whether they fell foul to the hens or the weather. I love rhubarb, so I'm determined that we will have a nice big bush one day! Can you help please anyone......?

linda.borgie
28-Oct-11, 22:25
Hi
Try Facebook - Torrisdale Tunnel
Ian

Scunner
29-Oct-11, 11:01
sent you pm

annemarie482
29-Oct-11, 22:45
Hi! Does anyone have any Rhubarb plants/crowns free or sensibly priced to good home! I brought 4 crowns last year and they disappeared during the winter - don't know what happened to them, whether they fell foul to the hens or the weather. I love rhubarb, so I'm determined that we will have a nice big bush one day! Can you help please anyone......?

snap!
2 years now i have bought rhubarb and lost it over the winter :(
desperate to get some to survive.

pat
29-Oct-11, 22:56
When it gets really cold I put either old carpet or that weed blackout/frost protection type of stuff on top of the crowns to stop the plants freezing.
I live by the sea and it is very very windy as well as cold.

unbridled
30-Oct-11, 13:14
Thanks to everyone who replied - I'll get back to you later to arrange when to come up and collect (I'm in Brora)

Thanks for he tip about the carpet etc - will definately try that this time. I think the crowns I got from the garden centre were just so tiny, that they didn't stand a chance really - didn't take much to freeze them to death! I never even thought to protect them, which was pretty stupid really, but I just presumed they were quite hardy - but I suppose the plants I had in my old house were well established and could cope better. Think I''ll pack them with straw in the bad weather - got loads of that in the stables!

Here's to some rhubarb crumble next year!!!

gardeninginagale
25-Nov-11, 18:46
Sorry for such a belated reply, but I cannot believe you have problems with rhubarb! It grows like a weed anywhere. Perhaps the problem lies with where you are buying the crowns from. Actually, you shouldn't be buying crowns. Everybody with a garden has rhubarb, and will gladly give you a crown or two. If you are still having problems, pm me. I have given crowns from my large clump to many people, without a failure.