PDA

View Full Version : busking for money

littleted
28-Oct-11, 11:43
when i was in ireland last year for a holiday ..i counted at least 15 different people busking for money mostly were foreign people..so are they claiming of the state..or just homeless ..sad day allround ..the point i am trying to make is were are the house for these people if were own cant get a house..what is this country trying to do.[evil]

sids
28-Oct-11, 12:41
What have foreign people playing music in the street in Ireland got to do with "your own" not getting a house?

Who knows what or whether they are claiming, or where they live? But they are working, at least.

Bazeye
28-Oct-11, 14:11
when i was in ireland last year for a holiday ..i counted at least 15 different people busking for money mostly were foreign people..so are they claiming of the state..or just homeless ..sad day allround ..the point i am trying to make is were are the house for these people if were own cant get a house..what is this country trying to do.[evil]

If theyre claiming off the state then I'd imagine theyre being housed by the state as well.

sandyr1
28-Oct-11, 14:22
FYI....
Quite a number of years ago I got a visit from a Caithness Chappie who was travelling with a friend around the World.
They ran out of money near the Grand Canyon in the United States....what do they do...
Well they had two sets of bagpipes so they set up right at the Grand Canyon and played for the Tourists, and made enough money to continue their travels to Canada and thence to I think Australia....methinks they continued their busking.
They were foreigners in another land.. strange foreigners.. they were from Caithness!

pat
28-Oct-11, 14:59
Agree with you Sandyr1 - many the bagpipe playing busker I have come across in my travels.
The one I remember most and who seemed to be getting the most attention and most money was playing at the Cathedral in Cologne - it felt strange as a visitor who on this trip visited many of the sites devastated by British bombing and sites of concentration camps.
This young lad in full highland outfit playing his pipes and getting money put in his box in the midst of an area which had been completely devasted was unforgettable.
Can remember listening to the tunes he was playing and hoping that not many people knew the history of the tunes.
People appreciated the young lad trying to earn a bit of money to carry on with travelling and having the sense to take his pipes with him to help through the rougher times and to help with his home sickness.

oldmarine
28-Oct-11, 22:51
FYI....
Quite a number of years ago I got a visit from a Caithness Chappie who was travelling with a friend around the World.
They ran out of money near the Grand Canyon in the United States....what do they do...
Well they had two sets of bagpipes so they set up right at the Grand Canyon and played for the Tourists, and made enough money to continue their travels to Canada and thence to I think Australia....methinks they continued their busking.
They were foreigners in another land.. strange foreigners.. they were from Caithness!
Enjoyed reading this comment. I enjoy listening to the bagpipes. Enjoyed them ever since my visits to Caithness many years ago. These two Chappies learned a wise way to make honest money - playing the bagpipes for tourists. Looks like they did well to support their travel the way they did. Thank you for posting this tid bit of information.

theone
28-Oct-11, 23:09
when i was in ireland last year for a holiday ..i counted at least 15 different people busking for money mostly were foreign people..

So you were in another country and noticed "foreigners"?............

15 different people busking for money mostly were foreign people..so are they claiming of the state..or just homeless ..

Maybe they weren't claiming off the state, maybe they had homes. You maybe should have asked them. Not all buskers are homeless or unemployed.......

..the point i am trying to make is were are the house for these people if were own cant get a house..what is this country trying to do.

What country? Ireland or Britain?