PDA

View Full Version : Signing on advice please

rs 2k
28-Oct-11, 09:52
Hi

My son is 18 next week how does he go about in signing on?

I suppose he just phones job centre :confused

Does he have to wait til he is 18, will he get job seekers?

God i hope so, my hubby is working and only 1 wage coming in, mortgage to pay, bills etc it is a struggle

Son has had it far too easy, clothes bought for him fines paid for him etc i just want him to stand on his own 2 feet now and realize how hard it really is, he can still live at home :)

chocolatechip
28-Oct-11, 09:57
it maybe better to go to the job center to make a new claim I phoned I think there is a lot of paper work to get through. And if you don't do what they say you will lose your money but can't remember all the ins and outs of it now!! I'm in the same situation as your son it's very hard. Hope you get on well

Nick Noble
28-Oct-11, 10:05
To start the claim process phone 0800 055 6688

More details here : http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/BeginnersGuideToBenefits/DG_4016266

If you are struggling it might also be worth heading to the Citizens Advice Bureau, they can do a benefits check which will highlight any benefits you would be entitled to, and can also assist with budgeting advice.

rs 2k
28-Oct-11, 10:39
Thanx both and thanx for the free phone number haha will start there and ask and c what they say

I have tried claiming coz i had to pack in my job 4 years ago with a very bad back and they said i haven't paid enough stamps to claim anything, i did go to CAB but they were like tough if thats what they said then nothing u can do, i did see job centre doctor and they said i am not fit for work so they r paying my stamp and thats it :(

Leanne
28-Oct-11, 19:25
If you want him to stand on his own two feet - don't phone for him. Let him do it...

Corrie 3
28-Oct-11, 20:15
If you want him to stand on his own two feet - don't phone for him. Let him do it...
Surely no 18yr old gets his Mum to phone up for him???

C3...........:eek::eek::roll:

theone
28-Oct-11, 20:40
Son has had it far too easy, clothes bought for him fines paid for him etc i just want him to stand on his own 2 feet now and realize how hard it really is, he can still live at home :)

Surely you're on the wind-up?

Kathy@watten
28-Oct-11, 21:58
Have I picked this up right?....he wants to sign on at 18 as a career choice or has he tried the other job finding service available...also free...at the same place?? just a thought. I would cringe if I honestly thought this was the only route for my kid to take, there must be something out there for him other than joining the dole???

Dadie
28-Oct-11, 23:40
How about going into the college for course info and funding advice?
There is a course and funding info for everyone!
It may get him off his backside into useful employment above minimum wage sooner than later and give him something to look forward to, other than a lifetime on the dole unqualified for anything.
And they will have info on appentiships too.there must be something he is willing to do ...

Koi
29-Oct-11, 01:07
He won't be able to contrubiute much as he'll get about 50 odd pound a week.

I agree with everyone else. He should go to college and try and get some sort of quliafication instead of signing on.

Aaldtimer
29-Oct-11, 03:16
Surely signing on at the Job Centre (is it still called that?) is the first step to getting advice as to what is available for choices?
Too often people are ready to condemn our youngsters ...there's not much of a choice out there!
Sadly, the minimum wage has become the Standard Wage...not much of an incentive.:confused

BRIE
29-Oct-11, 10:01
I have 2 sons both unemployed at the moment & yes I still buy their clothes for them, why? because they are both actively looking for work & neither of them are signed on the brew why? because they are both too proud & dont want to be seen as scroungers!
your paying your sons fines!!! im sorry but if my sons got themselves fines this is when all help from us as parents would stop what lesson is he ever going to learn if your paying for his mistakes too![evil]

Mrs Bucket
29-Oct-11, 10:18
Please Stop Stop Stop doing things for him I dont mean to offend you but he has to do it for himself you are making a rod for your own back. Believe me been there done that fair enough it was a daughter in my case.I had to dish out tough love and it was tough for me that is.

Princess
29-Oct-11, 10:29
I am 17, but 18 in a few months, left school with not many qualifications, through no fault of my own. Applied for college course didn't get accepted because of grades, went to PPP and after a few months they managed to find me a work placement, which finishes in December. So when I turn 18 in January I will have no option but to sign on the dole, I really don't want to, but I live at home with my mum, who is a single mother with mortgage etc to pay and if I sign on atleast I can help her out by buying my own food or giving her money towards electric. I will obviously be looking for work or thinking about applying for college again.

david
29-Oct-11, 11:29
Hi

My son is 18 next week how does he go about in signing on?

I suppose he just phones job centre :confused

Does he have to wait til he is 18, will he get job seekers?

God i hope so, my hubby is working and only 1 wage coming in, mortgage to pay, bills etc it is a struggle

There's plenty of jobs in Afghanistan apparently.

vectus
30-Oct-11, 20:18
Tell your son to wrap up warm this winter as it seems you are not allowed to wait inside the job centre for your interview.
Even if its below zero and your in danger of developing hyperthermia you wan't be allowed in by the security guy because, and I quote he "doesn't care"

Dialyser
30-Oct-11, 21:17
I have my doubts whether anyone could become hyperthermic standing outside in Wick.........it just doesn't get that hot!

vectus
30-Oct-11, 21:45
Ha Ha meant HYPOTHERMIC

BRIE
31-Oct-11, 11:15
Tell your son to wrap up warm this winter as it seems you are not allowed to wait inside the job centre for your interview.
Even if its below zero and your in danger of developing hyperthermia you wan't be allowed in by the security guy because, and I quote he "doesn't care"

Is it normal to have security guards at job centres Id never seen that before until I went into the one at Wick.
I think the guy in there can be rather intimidating too, I mind the first time I went into the job centre here my mobile happened to ring so i headed for the door to answer my phone outside & the security guy came over & told me I wasnt allowed back in as my phone had rang!
I also took my son in last week to make an appointment & he told him he couldnt make one he'd have to go home & ring for one instead, is this the normal thing?

Alrock
31-Oct-11, 11:44
Can anybody tell me why when I signed on from Thurso I signed by post due to the distance away from the Jobcentre yet why, now I'm in Castletown I have to sign on in person?
Yes I know it's a bit nearer but there are far less frequent buses so it will now take me & my partner over 5 hours to sign on!!!

david
31-Oct-11, 11:50
Can anybody tell me why when I signed on from Thurso I signed by post due to the distance away from the Jobcentre yet why, now I'm in Castletown I have to sign on in person?
Yes I know it's a bit nearer but there are far less frequent buses so it will now take me & my partner over 5 hours to sign on!!!

I wanted to sign on just for my NI stamp-no benefits etc. Was told I would have to go to Wick to sign on every fortnight and have an interview. Well it would cost me more to get to Wick and back than the stamp is worth so I never bothered, although this will of course affect my state pension one day.

DeHaviLand
31-Oct-11, 17:01

Wait, you're not working, you're bound to have a spare 5 hours once a fortnight!

david
31-Oct-11, 17:15
Wait, you're not working, you're bound to have a spare 5 hours once a fortnight!

Good point!!

vectus
31-Oct-11, 23:31
Is it normal to have security guards at job centres Id never seen that before until I went into the one at Wick.
I think the guy in there can be rather intimidating too, I mind the first time I went into the job centre here my mobile happened to ring so i headed for the door to answer my phone outside & the security guy came over & told me I wasnt allowed back in as my phone had rang!
I also took my son in last week to make an appointment & he told him he couldnt make one he'd have to go home & ring for one instead, is this the normal thing?

Sorry folks, think I might be responsible for the presence of the security guard after staging a "sit-in" to demonstrate against my treatment by the staff there a few years ago, Thing is, he certainly wouldn't stop me if I felt like doing it again!