PDA

View Full Version : Carved pumpkin

Dadie
27-Oct-11, 23:48
Is there a fail safe way for me to preserve my lovingly carved pumpkin until halloween?
It has to go to school tommorrow so will be subjected to heat, lights and kids germs/bacteria all day!
I have heard of smearing it with vaseline ...but I havent had any in the house since the vaseline smeared (read that as big tub emptied)through hair incident with the kids.
I am quite pleased with the way the pumpkin turned out this year even though it was a little one!
Ps never mind the plasticy pumpkin carving kits you can buy.....go for the big toys...I used the "dremel" multitool (cheap model obtained from woolies when it was woolies) and the electric drill and a hacksaw blade!
Oh and I know its supposed to be a neep....but I cannot hollow out a neep evenly no matter what I use!

Kodiak
27-Oct-11, 23:52
Take a Photo of it and then get your Kid/s to take the photo to school in place of the real Pumpkin. :Razz

teddybear1873
27-Oct-11, 23:54
I have heard soaking it in bleach can prevent it from rotting.

Dadie
28-Oct-11, 00:12
thanks tb I will soak it in bleach...or sterilising fluid (same stuff really) after school tommorrow and bung it in the fridge till Monday!
Sorry for the additional question....but does it need /drained/dried/dabbed/ with kitchen roll after bleaching to remove the water from the bottom?
Its sitting in a bowl of water to stop it drying out at the moment!