PDA

View Full Version : sandyr1 - just for you - welfare state

Nick Noble
27-Oct-11, 13:46
I saw this on the BBC news site and immediately thought of you.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15460427

I get the impression from many of your posts that you do not approve of Britains welfare state - my apologies if that impression is wrong.

Certainly the welfare state does markedly increase the tax burden, but the poll detailed on the above link shows that 92% of people polled were in favour of the welfare state.

sandyr1
27-Oct-11, 16:12
Thank you for the Dedication.
I am not against Welfare....But there is only really one way to pay for it, and that is Taxes.
It does not take the Proverbial Rocket Scientist to figure out that if one pays out then one must take in...
In a perfect World Welfare/Assistance for all would be a great thing.....but is is unsustainable...Everyone knows that unless one is........I shall leave the Words to the individual! i If one was asked if they supported the Welfare State, you would have to be pretty stooooopid to say no! Ahhhh but you forgot to mention that 75% want it tightened up.
And I accept your apology!

BTW...I am a Cathnesian by Birth .......so I know a wee bitty about what is going on!

oldmarine
27-Oct-11, 16:37
Welfare is good for those who receive it. But it's not so good for those who have to pay for it. It is a root cause for inflation. The more of those who get welfare, the worse inflation will be. That will affect everyone. I see signs of a great collapse in world economy. I believe it will be worse than what we suffered during the big market crash of 1929. Only WW2 helped us pull out of that one. We already have had too many wars. The next one could end our world as we now know it.

sandyr1
28-Oct-11, 02:16
You could very well be correct/ We are still producing appprox 2 million vehicles in North America that are surplus to the requirements of the people. That is why in November...now... they are still trying to sell the 2011's and some Companies have 2010's....It is going to catch up with us!
I also agree with some writers who stated what saved the World last time...The Great Depression...was that the Second World War started and that brought us out of said recession/ we cannot do that now as we are just finishing 2 Wars!
Only time will tell, but our Standard of Living and other Social Services are going to suffer.....

weezer 316
28-Oct-11, 08:52
I cant believe what I am reading here!!

Social security causes inflation??? An over abundance of cars causes inflation!!

Look, first rule of a market economy, when demand outstrips supply, the result is INFLATION not the other way about, so too many cars produced cause their price to drop!

When supply costs rise, the result is INFLATION (gas a good example at the moment)

The US will be ok for at least a while unless it starts to print money if it cant sell its bonds abroad. Then it will need to monetise, and the result then will be inflation.

The banks are not in the condition they were in 1929 where brokers were lending like $10 for ever $1 depositied, and then people being loaned the money obviously didnt have the capital to pay it back.

So quite where you get the ideas you have is beyond me!

sandyr1
28-Oct-11, 13:37
Market conomy......Inflation.....
This is now not a normal Market Economy. We have been living way beyond our means.
Gov`ts print money not the people.. if they cannot busy a new car...guess what...they cannot buy it and if they cannot get credit ...another guess what..they cannot get credit!
Unfortunately it seems it is beyond you......The Euro zone just propped each other up......very creative for now...but Greece cannot sustain what they have to do!

sandyr1
28-Oct-11, 18:36
I cant believe what I am reading here!!

Social security causes inflation??? An over abundance of cars causes inflation!!

Look, first rule of a market economy, when demand outstrips supply, the result is INFLATION not the other way about, so too many cars produced cause their price to drop!

When supply costs rise, the result is INFLATION (gas a good example at the moment)

The US will be ok for at least a while unless it starts to print money if it cant sell its bonds abroad. Then it will need to monetise, and the result then will be inflation.

The banks are not in the condition they were in 1929 where brokers were lending like $10 for ever $1 depositied, and then people being loaned the money obviously didnt have the capital to pay it back.

So quite where you get the ideas you have is beyond me!

Pls try and figure this out....
If we in North America build 13 million vehicles per year.....and sell only 11 million vehicles per year....MacIntyre the Math Teacher in Lybster School taught me/ and gave me the belt, but he did say that 13 minus 11= 2. So we have 2 million vehicles that arn't sold.
And these are carried over to the next year//another 2 M vehicles unsold.
So they reduce the price....but the people don't have the money to buy one quarter of a vehicle and the banks won't lend them the money, so we have to stop building so many cars/ Thus we have to lay off people. But them they go on Pogey/Dole whatever, and someone has to pay for that!!! But the money runs out...This is what happened with houses...I noticed in the Caithness House sale section, an ad which read ...
'A massive 35,000 pounds below Home Report Value...Says who???
A house is valued at what the seller will sell it for and the buyer will pay for it, not some way out figure that someone comes up with!
Another house on there now for likely 2 years,,,,started at 380,000 pounds and is now listed at 240,000 pounds..
These people better be careful as this is the way 'down the tube'!

So Mr W., your market economy thoughts are a wee bitty out of line/ perhaps out of date/ This is not a normal time in life! As Old marine said...we's got a problem!

Just to add to that thought...I am presently in Southern Florida....Condos on the Beach that were selling for $900,000....2 years ago...that being the cheapest, are now offered at $299.000 and very few are being sold. People are holding on for a quick recovery....The great minds now say that we are not at the bottom of this cycle...in a few years this will eventually settle and things will not get better for over 10 years....there are still 7 million homes where I am that are in foreclosure....

secrets in symmetry
29-Oct-11, 00:00
God save us! One person makes the ludicrous claim that welfare causes inflation, and then, if I'm not mistaken, another poster makes the even more lunatic claim that overproduction of cars and a collapse in house prices amounts to inflation!

Weezy, they just believe what they want....

sandyr1
29-Oct-11, 04:18
I never mentioned the Word Inflation!
Overcapacity was my word!
And how will the big man in the sky help you? Seems a wee bitty blasphemous>
Just strange how people do their reasoning.......

ducati
29-Oct-11, 08:28

Pls try and figure this out....
If we in North America build 13 million vehicles per year.....and sell only 11 million vehicles per year....MacIntyre the Math Teacher in Lybster School taught me/ and gave me the belt, but he did say that 13 minus 11= 2. So we have 2 million vehicles that arn't sold.
And these are carried over to the next year//another 2 M vehicles unsold.
So they reduce the price....but the people don't have the money to buy one quarter of a vehicle and the banks won't lend them the money, so we have to stop building so many cars/ Thus we have to lay off people. But them they go on Pogey/Dole whatever, and someone has to pay for that!!! But the money runs out...This is what happened with houses...I noticed in the Caithness House sale section, an ad which read ...
'A massive 35,000 pounds below Home Report Value...Says who???
A house is valued at what the seller will sell it for and the buyer will pay for it, not some way out figure that someone comes up with!
Another house on there now for likely 2 years,,,,started at 380,000 pounds and is now listed at 240,000 pounds..
These people better be careful as this is the way 'down the tube'!

So Mr W., your market economy thoughts are a wee bitty out of line/ perhaps out of date/ This is not a normal time in life! As Old marine said...we's got a problem!

Just to add to that thought...I am presently in Southern Florida....Condos on the Beach that were selling for $900,000....2 years ago...that being the cheapest, are now offered at $299.000 and very few are being sold. People are holding on for a quick recovery....The great minds now say that we are not at the bottom of this cycle...in a few years this will eventually settle and things will not get better for over 10 years....there are still 7 million homes where I am that are in foreclosure....

Sandy, you keep posting stuff like this in the tone of someone who is preaching. We already know about the world economy. What is your point?

sandyr1
29-Oct-11, 22:16
And what is wrong with a Preacher?
Perhaps you are correct...I just see people on here, and many other places wanting more and more, when there is no more..

Moira
29-Oct-11, 23:22
I saw this on the BBC news site and immediately thought of you.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15460427

I get the impression from many of your posts that you do not approve of Britains welfare state - my apologies if that impression is wrong.

Certainly the welfare state does markedly increase the tax burden, but the poll detailed on the above link shows that 92% of people polled were in favour of the welfare state.
I think you are wasting your time Nick. I feel another "whoosh" coming on...

gleeber
29-Oct-11, 23:57
And what is wrong with a Preacher?
Perhaps you are correct...I just see people on here, and many other places wanting more and more, when there is no more..
Its easy to talk from a privelaged position and dont go on about having worked for it. Just be grateful. 80% of the worlds resources are consumed by 20%of the population. Your no better than your mate Weezer. He wants to tax the poor too. :lol:

sandyr1
30-Oct-11, 01:41
I guess I never considered handouts...I just moved on and got a job. Seems strange to some....

Aaldtimer
30-Oct-11, 03:02
I guess I never considered handouts...I just moved on and got a job. Seems strange to some....

After Thatcher, some didn't have any choice...so slap youself on the back, and congratulate yourself that you didn't suffer the same as a lot of people in this country.[disgust]

sandyr1
30-Oct-11, 04:12
I don't know all the Politics that went on......I was gone in 1971...But can we blame any one Political Party....I mean Iraq, Afhan, Libya...Different Parties were involved wern't they.....I am not at all critical of any one/thing....
I get challenged on the Welfare thing/ people want Social Assistance I agree but what was not mentioned is that 75% want it under stricter control...These things I agree with.
Anyway I did what was necessary for my life/ I applaud those who fight the local battle.............

sandyr1
30-Oct-11, 04:40
Moira...Pray tell us all what a 'whoosh' is?
Maybe something to do we yur poor Dowgie!

ducati
30-Oct-11, 08:07
Moira...Pray tell us all what a 'whoosh' is?
Maybe something to do we yur poor Dowgie!

To paraphrase the imortal Governer of California "you should not drink and post"

secrets in symmetry
30-Oct-11, 13:14
I never mentioned the Word Inflation!
Overcapacity was my word!
And how will the big man in the sky help you? Seems a wee bitty blasphemous>
Just strange how people do their reasoning.......Your first post followed oldmarine's post on inflation. Your second post followed on from a sentence in weezer's post which contained the word "INFLATION", and which you had highlighted. You did not use the word "overcapacity" at all.

I suppose you can't understand my reasoning because you can't do it yourself.

"Whoosh" indeed....

sandyr1
30-Oct-11, 14:47
Your first post followed oldmarine's post on inflation. Your second post followed on from a sentence in weezer's post which contained the word "INFLATION", and which you had highlighted. You did not use the word "overcapacity" at all.

I suppose you can't understand my reasoning because you can't do it yourself.

"Whoosh" indeed....

Firstly I did not address Inflation, but it is gratifying that you are reading and re-reading my posts to try and get a 'grip' of what is happening. It is somewhat unfortunate that you do not fully understand, but suffice to say, please continue to follow me and everything will be just fine!

You not not give a hint of where you are, but I am quite sure we live in diferent Worlds...Your 'inscription' shows some thought, so please keep your mind alert and you will see 'my light'!

To: Moira and Ducati...Perhapa you should take a look at your own Drinking Probs, before accusing others!