PDA

View Full Version : Mice!

26-Oct-11, 09:58
Just looking for a bit of advice. I live in West Gills, Thurso and since last winter i keep getting mice in the house. I have put traps down in the loft and in the kitchen they are always full!. Also you can hear them at night running around.

Has anyone got any suggestions of what to do!

rs 2k
26-Oct-11, 10:09
Hiya

We r in the country and heard mice etc all the time, then we invested in two of those plug in pest repellent, haven't heard anything since :)

We got them off ebay :)

rs 2k
26-Oct-11, 10:11
Forgot to say, also got 2 cats haha they r a great help :)

Cats can only get the mice on ground floor or outside thats why we got the pest repellents for the one's in the loft :)

ducati
26-Oct-11, 10:18
Cats![lol]

david
26-Oct-11, 11:11
Fixed 5 leaks in a farmhouse last week-mice had chewed through plastic plumbing pipes-nightmare!!

_Ju_
26-Oct-11, 11:18
There is a pretty efficient eco friendly mice control contraption. It is also usually quite durable, lasting up to 15 years though tends to have a poorer performance in later years. Good maintenance keeps it working better: Cat. Female cats tend to be better hunters in my experience, though spaying is a must. :)

pat
26-Oct-11, 12:04
Invest in those electronic repellers and there is also one scent I understand mice do not like - think it is Sandalwood, check out the uses of sandalwood and may be worth investing in a bottle or two to sprinkle around under the floorboards or where you think they may be entering.

Tugmistress
26-Oct-11, 16:31
Cat or good old fashioned spring trap that kills instantly..... the latter works for us in winter :)

sweep
26-Oct-11, 17:30
try to make sure there's no obvious way that they're getting in, given that they can squeeze in Very tiny spaces!. keep setting the traps,checking them every day and you will get rid of them.good luck!

Corrie 3
26-Oct-11, 17:51
Use chocolate spread in the traps, not cheese.....works for me everytime!!!!

C3..............:)

ducati
26-Oct-11, 17:52
Use chocolate spread in the traps, not cheese.....works for me everytime!!!!

C3..............:)

Bliddy inconvenient having to be let out the trap every morning. [lol]

Scarybiscuits03
26-Oct-11, 18:37
I had the same problem when I lived in West Gills and I invested in a plug in repellent - approx £30 - £40. It cleared the problem within the week.
You can get them from Maplin. I advise one for each floor of the house.

Kodiak
26-Oct-11, 19:02
http://i.imgur.com/nD4Wt.jpg

Birons
26-Oct-11, 19:30
Our shop has been very busy this last couple of weeks with the rodent control products.

It's down to personal choice on what would suit best to get rid of unwanted visitors, but I do advise to get on top of the job sooner rather than later, because when they get the little feet under the table (so to speak) and start breeding, it can be a big task to get rid.

Niall Fernie
26-Oct-11, 19:37
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plz9JxsnhH4

pat
26-Oct-11, 20:55
Like that one Niall - think that mouse is like the mice which sometimes try to get in here in the winter, I have an Eye of the Tiger who tries to keep my potential mice problem under control.

Dadie
26-Oct-11, 22:57
Slightly melted mars bar in the traps is the bees knees!
If you dont have furries of your own or small kids the sonic repellers are good at keeping them away(kids can hear the sonic repellers) .
And to complete the warfare good old fashioned pellets are good!(but nowhere near kids or animals you want to keep)
We live in a village and have minimal mouse in the house probs!

unicorn
26-Oct-11, 23:00
definately be careful of the sonic ones if you have rabbits, hamsters etc

gollach
26-Oct-11, 23:06
If they keep kids away, I'm definitely getting a sonic thinummyjig. Even though there's no mice here. Halloween is perfect time to start using one :lol: