PDA

View Full Version : Drink and Driving

Fran
25-Oct-11, 23:16
Please help me settle an argument.
I say that if you have 2 or 3 pints of lager between 6 and 11pm, you are over the limit driving early the next morning. Am I right or wrong?

secrets in symmetry
25-Oct-11, 23:18
The latter.

sids
25-Oct-11, 23:20
Have a few more. You'll drive better.

theone
25-Oct-11, 23:21
The simple answer is that everybody's different.

BUT, as a rule of thumb I believe that, once drinking has stopped, it takes 1 hour to lose one unit of alcohol.

SO, based on that, 3 pints is 7-8 units, if drinking is stopped at 11pm they should be ok to drive by 7am.

orkneycadian
25-Oct-11, 23:28
Plus, depending on your size and metabolism, you probably have 3 or 4 units "in hand" anyway before you get to the limit.

domino
25-Oct-11, 23:59
Theone has got it right, but, if in doubt , do not drink at night

_Ju_
26-Oct-11, 07:48
Also depends on if you are male or female. Women metabolize alcohol at a slower rate and are generally smaller than men, so the same ammount of alcohol will take longer to be eliminated (and have more serious health effects) than in a man.

lasher
26-Oct-11, 17:03
If i had 2 pints in 5 hours i'd drive at 11.

ducati
26-Oct-11, 17:48
If I have 5 pints in two hours I can't find the car :eek:

steverolly
26-Oct-11, 18:46
ave a skin full and 90per sent of caithness might drive better,, hahaha

oldmarine
27-Oct-11, 00:42
Please help me settle an argument.
I say that if you have 2 or 3 pints of lager between 6 and 11pm, you are over the limit driving early the next morning. Am I right or wrong?
From my experience, I suggest that it is not wise to drive after drinking alcohol. If you have an accident, you could be faulted for the drinking.

Fran
31-Oct-11, 00:51
Well i'm alright, I don't drink.

teddybear1873
31-Oct-11, 01:29
Also depends on if you are male or female. Women metabolize alcohol at a slower rate and are generally smaller than men, so the same ammount of alcohol will take longer to be eliminated (and have more serious health effects) than in a man.

I beg to differ. Most of the women here are twice or three times the size of men.

changilass
31-Oct-11, 01:40
I beg to differ. Most of the women here are twice or three times the size of men.

Stop peeking through the screen teddybear, its rude don't ya know.

oldmarine
31-Oct-11, 02:58
I love this comment. I think it's a classic.

teddybear1873
31-Oct-11, 11:58

Lol, When I mean here, I don't mean on the org. I mean here here, as in the Deep South.

Just want to clarify that. Don't want the ladies on here after my blood :D

Kodiak
31-Oct-11, 13:38
When it comes to Drinking and Driving I believe that the Law should be changed.

It should be changed to a Zero Tolerance one. In other words no alcohol at all. So No Drinking if you are Driving.

This way there will ne argument if you have had a Drink the night before and if you still have some alcohol in your Blood then you would be over the Limit.

If you want to Drive Do Not Drink and if you want to Drink Do Not Drive, Simples.

david
31-Oct-11, 13:41
When it comes to Drinking and Driving I believe that the Law should be changed.

It should be changed to a Zero Tolerance one. In other words no alcohol at all. So No Drinking if you are Driving.

This way there will ne argument if you have had a Drink the night before and if you still have some alcohol in your Blood then you would be over the Limit.

If you want to Drive Do Not Drink and if you want to Drink Do Not Drive, Simples.

This would cause even more arguments in court. Thats why it won't be introduced.

Kodiak
31-Oct-11, 13:45
This would cause even more arguments in court. Thats why it won't be introduced.

Why would it cause more argument in Court.

If there is alcohol in the Blood, no matter how little, then that person is Guilty of Driving while being over the Limit which is zero. If the Person has no alcohol in their Blood then they are not Guilty.

No argument at all, fairly straight forward I would say and Simple.

david
31-Oct-11, 13:51

If there is alcohol in the Blood, no matter how little, then that person is Guilty of Driving while being over the Limit which is zero. If the Person has no alcohol in their Blood then they are not Guilty.

Alcohol in the blood is an entirely different matter than alcohol in the breath.

david
31-Oct-11, 13:56

So roadside blood tests then?

Kodiak
31-Oct-11, 13:58
Alcohol in the blood is an entirely different matter than alcohol in the breath.

Then you really should read what I posted correctly. Nowhere did I mention Breath. The only thing I stated was alcohol in the Blood.

I still say if you want to Drive Do Not Drink and if you want to Drink Do Not Drive, Simples.

Kodiak
31-Oct-11, 14:01
So roadside blood tests then?

Dont be Silly and you know you are.

If a Person fails a Breath test then like now they are taken in for a Blood Test. If the Blood Test is Negative then no charge. If the Blood Test is Positive, no matter how little, then they are charged.

david
31-Oct-11, 14:07
Dont be Silly and you know you are.

If a Person fails a Breath test then like now they are taken in for a Blood Test. If the Blood Test is Negative then no charge. If the Blood Test is Positive, no matter how little, then they are charged.

So the police would need a suitably qualified doctor/nurse to administer said blood test at the testing station and to have an accurate test would need to be there 24/7 so there would be no time lag in the test. You would probably need several docs/nurses to fufill your ambitions.

Dadie
31-Oct-11, 14:11
There cannot be a zero level for alcohol, and this point has been argued to death, here and in medical fields and the commons.
There has to be a point where you can still use mouthwash, take your medicine syrup eat a vanilla iced cake made with vanilla extract etc.
Some people have a naturally occuring higher than zero blood alcohol count, does that mean they cannot drive?

david
31-Oct-11, 14:20
There cannot be a zero level for alcohol, and this point has been argued to death, here and in medical fields and the commons.
There has to be a point where you can still use mouthwash, take your medicine syrup eat a vanilla iced cake made with vanilla extract etc.
Some people have a naturally occuring higher than zero blood alcohol count, does that mean they cannot drive?

At last some sense!

Kodiak
31-Oct-11, 14:20
So the police would need a suitably qualified doctor/nurse to administer said blood test at the testing station and to have an accurate test would need to be there 24/7 so there would be no time lag in the test. You would probably need several docs/nurses to fufill your ambitions.

It would be exactly the same as it is now. A breath test alone is not enough to be convicted and a further blood test is required. So no change then except the level of alcohol in the Blood.

david
31-Oct-11, 14:27
It would be exactly the same as it is now. A breath test alone is not enough to be convicted and a further blood test is required. So no change then except the level of alcohol in the Blood.

You don't know what you're talking about. A breath test is enough to be convicted, you need to ask for a blood test, and there is no right to a blood test if the breath test is 50mg or above. The current limit is 35mg. The only accurate measurement is a blood test.

Kodiak
31-Oct-11, 14:38

Perhaps you should advise these countries that a Zero Level is not possible as all of the following have a zero Blood Alcohol Limit

Brazil
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Jordan
Guinea
Malawi
Nigeria
Cuba
Germany (For Drivers under 21)
Hungary
Slovakia
Russia
Ukraine

So perhaps it is not quite as difficult as you assume. If all these countries can have a Zero Blood Alcohol Limit then why not the UK.

david
31-Oct-11, 14:44
Perhaps you should advise these countries that a Zero Level is not possible as all of the following have a zero Blood Alcohol Limit

Brazil
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Jordan
Guinea
Malawi
Nigeria
Cuba
Germany (For Drivers under 21)
Hungary
Slovakia
Russia
Ukraine

So perhaps it is not quite as difficult as you assume. If all these countries can have a Zero Blood Alcohol Limit then why not the UK.

There is an even bigger list of countries that sensibly do not have a zero limit!!

Dadie
31-Oct-11, 14:46
So Kodiak in your view I would be breaking the law today, as I felt awful on waking with a banging headache and a cough.
I took the kids calpol which has a minute amount of alcohol and some otc cough medicine, I ate the slightly fementing pineapple until I could actually taste it was fermenting, had fresh apple juice (it has alcohol of about 0.6g if I remember correctly) and used my mouthwash after brushing my teeth as my mouth felt scuzzy.

david
31-Oct-11, 14:58
So Kodiak in your view I would be breaking the law today, as I felt awful on waking with a banging headache and a cough.
I took the kids calpol which has a minute amount of alcohol and some otc cough medicine, I ate the slightly fementing pineapple until I could actually taste it was fermenting, had fresh apple juice (it has alcohol of about 0.6g if I remember correctly) and used my mouthwash after brushing my teeth as my mouth felt scuzzy.

Yes, if you lived in Kodiak's world you would be losing your driving licence-thankfully this country takes a common sense approach to alcohol limits. I see Swaziland's limit is 0.15-thats nearly double the uk limit!!

Dadie
31-Oct-11, 15:10
And another thing lets be pedantic about the term alcohol.
Is it just ethyl alcohol or do you use the term alcohol to encompass the other substances with similar molecular structures such as acetone that can naturally be formed by the body in breaking down sugars?
Some breath testers cannot distinguish between them.
Oh and before you think im on the drink drivers side im not I can just see why there cannot be a zero limit!

david
31-Oct-11, 15:17
And another thing lets be pedantic about the term alcohol.
Is it just ethyl alcohol or do you use the term alcohol to encompass the other substances with similar molecular structures such as acetone that can naturally be formed by the body in breaking down sugars?
Some breath testers cannot distinguish between them.
Oh and before you think im on the drink drivers side im not I can just see why there cannot be a zero limit!

Another thing that puzzles me is that I bought a DOT approved breath tester (having learned the hard way the morning after) and if I drink say 5 pints=10 units, I am totally clear in the morning, however if I drink the same amount of units, but drink spirits, I'm not fit to drive first thing according to the breath test machine though I feel fine. Is it because spirits are more concentrated and therefore take longer for the body to break down?

oldmarine
31-Oct-11, 15:30
I have seen a lot of problems during my 86 years re: driving with consumption of alcohol. Whenever there is a serious accident with the involvement of alcohol consumption, serious consequences will follow. Although it has never happened to me, I have seen far too many cases where it has been a serious problem. My advice is: do not mix driving with the consumption of alcolhol.

david
31-Oct-11, 15:35
I have seen a lot of problems during my 86 years re: driving with consumption of alcohol. Whenever there is a serious accident with the involvement of alcohol consumption, serious consequences will follow. Although it has never happened to me, I have seen far too many cases where it has been a serious problem. My advice is: do not mix driving with the consumption of alcolhol.

I would agree totally. Unfortunately I was over the limit the morning after but fortunately no one got injured. I honestly felt fine though. I bet there's loads of folks who would be over the morning after if they got a tug!

George Brims
01-Nov-11, 21:18
Depends on your definition of "early the next morning". At 1am you could be in trouble. If you were going to work at 6 you would probably be OK. You might not *feel* OK if you've been drinking crappy lager.

billmoseley
04-Nov-11, 21:26
surely the only sensible thing is not to drink if your going to be driving within the next 24 hours. 1 drink and your can feel the affects so surely it must affect the way we drive. it's not just you endanger but other members of the public

david
05-Nov-11, 20:30
surely the only sensible thing is not to drink if your going to be driving within the next 24 hours. 1 drink and your can feel the affects so surely it must affect the way we drive. it's not just you endanger but other members of the public

How many pubs would close if everyone adhered to this?

billmoseley
05-Nov-11, 21:34
How many pubs would close if everyone adhered to this? how many lives might be saved?

david
05-Nov-11, 21:44
how many lives might be saved?

So are you seriously condeming the person that has a pint or two at his local-after work at 5pm and not driving cos he/she has to drive a vehicle at 8am the next day?