PDA

View Full Version : The Black Hole (aka The Royal Mail)

aileenmac
17-Oct-06, 05:16
Mysterious things these black holes! No-one can actually see them, but travelling items (usually envelopes with cash) suddenly disappear without trace.There must be a cash-scanner as the items pass through, and only the bills, final demands and junk mail actually manage to get through, no matter how well disguised.
I am totally fed up with the dishonesty of the mail service (not our local postie as he is lovely). Everything has to be sent recorded or special delivery to stand half a chance of reaching its destination.
Has anyone else had the same?

lassieinfife
17-Oct-06, 06:16
the royal mail always advises that any item containing money should be sent by special delivery......and try sending items like that enclosed in big brown envelopes and see if mail arrives

Naefearjustbeer
17-Oct-06, 07:22
Never send money through the post would be the safest thing. We buy and occaisionally sell through ebay and we have recieved cash through the post wich is quite a risk. However when we send stuff away we always get a minimum of proof of postage which does ofer some protection if things go missing.

henry20
17-Oct-06, 08:05
I think its unfair to criticise Royal Mail as a company, as it has to be certain staff that are to blame - or the item does genuinly go missing. Alternatively, if the cash is for something bought of ebay or similar sites can you be sure that the person isn't sitting with your money in their pocket? As no signature has been obtained, you'll never know. If its a birthday card with money inside, then I'm sure its safe to assume its not been received. However, even sending an item by recorded mail, you still only get £32 compensation - the item is still sent by mainstream post, the only difference is that a signature is obtained at its destination.

Royal mail have always stressed that cash/valuables (ie passports, jewellery, items of sentimental value etc) should be sent special delivery.

Personally, I have never had an item go missing and am amazed at the wonderful service that Royal Mail offer. As with all companies, they aren't perfect, but for 32p to get something from Lands End to John O Groats within a day, I can't complain.

aileenmac
17-Oct-06, 08:46
My husband posted a birthday card to his sister, and put the cash in a white envelope, inside a brown envelope and posted it seperately. The card arrived but the cash didn't.
I have worked in Payroll all my life and would not think about fiddling or being dishonest - we should not expect evryone to be like us, I suppose!

henry20
17-Oct-06, 09:43
unfortunately, the world is full of dishonest people :( and it must be terrible for employers that put 100% (or even 90%) trust in people, only to be let down.

Even with a standard stamp, you can still claim £32 compensation - it may not recover all your money, but it will at least soften the blow.

Venture
17-Oct-06, 09:50
This post is nothing to do with cash being sent in the mail but I feel I have to praise the Royal Mail for their service. Yesterday I ordered an item on the internet from Guerensey at 3 p.m. I received it this morning at 9.30 am. Couldnt believe how quick it came.

Jeid
17-Oct-06, 09:53
At the end of the day, you're taking a risk sending cash in the post. If it can be avoided, don't do it. You've taken the risk and I don't see why Royal Mail should be criticised.

If it's money, always send it special delivery.

gleeber
17-Oct-06, 10:04
The Royal Mail is a national institution and as such anyone who moans about its service should be locked up in special jails until such times as their letters turned up. ;)
Moaning about the royal mail is similar to moaning about the weather.
Och, its mid October, the past 10 days or so have been like an Indian summer. Its a bit dull today.
Mind you, its a bummer if a bride gets a thunderstorm on her wedding day and the royal mail lost the wedding telegrams.

sweetpea
17-Oct-06, 10:10
I don't think it's a good idea to send cash like this, get the special delivery. It's a shame but just cause someone works for a company with royal in it's title doesn't mean to say they will be honest. Thieves are everywhere.

gollach
17-Oct-06, 10:59
In the past 4-5 years I have had several items go missing in the mail, not always items containing cash. I am talking about items that I myself have sent and other items that have been sent to me.

A friend of mine is a postie and he advised me to go to the post office and make a complaint. He says that the Royal Mail do look for patterns in missing mail and will send "honey trap" items through the mail to help track down those members of staff responsible.

scaraben
17-Oct-06, 11:09
As I understand SPECIAL DELIVERY is provided for the transmission of important documents such as passports, letters of authority, and the like, NOT CASH OR JEWELERY. It ought to be sent by Registered mail for which there is higher compensation for loss, or even consequential loss (ie not only the loss of the valuables but the loss incurred as a consequence of its failure to arrive at the address )

henry20
17-Oct-06, 11:19
As I understand SPECIAL DELIVERY is provided for the transmission of important documents such as passports, letters of authority, and the like, NOT CASH OR JEWELERY. It ought to be sent by Registered mail for which there is higher compensation for loss, or even consequential loss (ie not only the loss of the valuables but the loss incurred as a consequence of its failure to arrive at the address )

The service you mention with consequential loss is special delivery, which you pay slightly extra for and cash can be sent by special delivery.

You are not meant to send cash via recorded delivery as this is still mainstream postage and only obtains a signature on delivery - ideal if you need to prove that the item arrived.

At the end of the day, you get the service you pay for!

sapphire
17-Oct-06, 15:34

I post quite a lot of items an a regular basis and can tell you there is no such thing as registered mail any more.It is an old term and is now called Special delivery.It guarantees a next day delivery usually by 1pm although you can get 9am but dearer! It does cover cash and jewellery (in fact all valuables)although the staff usually invite you to use one of the special envelopes for it as they are tamper proof .
Insurance goes from £500 to £2500 and you can insure it for consequential loss...although these losses are more for businesses which may suffer losses due to late or non delivery.
To anyone who has had mail gone missing I would encourage you to complete a lost items form because it can highlight problem areas.
After all if Royal Mail aren't aware of a problem then their not likely to go looking for one! ;)

golach
17-Oct-06, 15:40
The Royal Mail is a national institution and as such anyone who moans about its service should be locked up in special jails until such times as their letters turned up. ;)
Moaning about the royal mail is similar to moaning about the weather.
Och, its mid October, the past 10 days or so have been like an Indian summer. Its a bit dull today.
Mind you, its a bummer if a bride gets a thunderstorm on her wedding day and the royal mail lost the wedding telegrams.
Gleeber, I am with you on both points ref the Royal Mail and the Weather.
Having been a Postie in my youth, (Yes I know that was a long time ago), I am shocked at the accusations of the origional poster, IMO who in their right mind would put loose cash in the post anyway? The Royal Mail warn you of this at every point. whats wrong with a postal order or a cheque? And as for missing cards.....were they addressed correctly, a Post Code will virtually ensure that your mail will reach its correct destination, Post Codes came into being in 1971, and some folks are still too lazy to use them. [disgust] end of rant.

rockchick
17-Oct-06, 19:09
Having come from a place where it can take seven days for a letter to be posted from one side of Toronto to the other side, I have always been amazed with the British Postal Service. Not sure how I feel about cash disappearing, but otherwise they operate a brilliant top-notch service.

aileenmac
17-Oct-06, 19:12
I do agree that normally the postal service is great. I was up dead early this morning and was feeling crabbit! Had to get it off my chest!