View Full Version : Additional cases from today's sheriff court

25-Oct-11, 16:42
Knife attack was accused's own doing

A SHERIFF has called for a psychiatric report among others, on a Thurso man who made a false claim he had been the victim of a knife attack.
Liam Henderson (24) of St John’s House, Thurso, admitted wasting police time investigating an allegation that was untrue.
The court was told that an ambulance and police were called to the accused’s home in the early hours of February 4, after receiving a message about the knife incident. Senior fiscal depute, David Barclay, said that Henderson was taken to hospital and was treated for a four inch cut on his cheek.
He was seen by police officers and maintained his story that he had been attacked in the street and had his face slashed.
Officers carried out an investigation which included CCTV footage and became suspicious.
They spoke to Henderson’s partner who said that the accused had inflicted the injury on himself. He had done so in their bathroom, a short time before the ambulance had been contacted. A forensic assessment confirmed that the wound was consistent with a self-inflicted injury.
Solicitor Craig Wood said that it had been triggered by news given to Henderson, by his partner, that she had been seeing another man. It had upset the accused who had a history of self-harm and he went and did so again.
Sheriff Andrew Berry will consider his sentencing after seeing reports, on November 21.

Drove carelessly

AN Inverness businessman, who admitted a driving carelessly, in poor weather conditions was fined 450 and incurred six penalty points.
He was Norman Macleod, of Tegea, Charleston, North Kessock. The court that police observed him over a stretch of five miles, on the Thurso-Inverness road, on May 5.
Macleod (59) “strayed” above the national speed limit, at times, and overtook a line of three vehicles at one point, when, Mr Barclay stated, it would have been more prudent to remain behind. There was heavy rain at the time with surface water.
The sheriff said that given the fact that Macleod (59) drove 45 thousand miles a year, he should be aware of the dangers of driving in an inappropriate manner and was certainly conscious of it now.

Refused to leave pub

MARTIN Ewart didn’t go quietly when asked to leave the Wetherspoon bar in Wick.
He knocked over three chairs, and shouted at an employee
Ewart (28) of Pilot Row, Papigoe, near Wick, admitted disorderly conduct while drunk, on September 4, and was ordered to carry out 60 hours unpaid community service.

Scant regard for court orders

A MAN said by the sheriff to have “scant regard for any form of court order” was jailed for four months.
Douglas Wilkie (26) of Macrae Street, Wick, admitted breaching a 7pm-7am curfew restriction on October 17, and a number of previous convictions.
He claimed to have been at home with friends playing music and wasn’t aware of police at the door.

Assault was misunderstanding

Damon Anderson was given an opportunity to prove he can behave, after he admitted an assault.
The incident was described as “a strange situation” by Mr Barclay.
Anderson (17) of Boulgrass House, Forse, was with friends, at a house in Lindsay Drive, Wick, early on August 13 when they heard the sound of motor bikes outside.
They went out to see what the noise was all about and the incident ensued. Mr Barclay said that the victim, Stephen Wilson, suffers from arthritis and, as a consequence, one of his hands was in a clenched fist.
It appeared to Anderson that Mr Wilson was adopting a threatening demeanour and he head-butted him.
Solicitor Neil Wilson said that Anderson should have turned away and left the scene instead of committing the assault. The accused, had in any case, exceeded the criteria for self defence.
He was given a two-month good behaviour trial.

Shouted at policeman

TWO brothers who shouted and swore at a policeman have been ordered to each carry out 150 hours unpaid community service.
The incident involving Andrew Mackay (24) of Seaforth Avenue, and Mark Mackay (22) of Leith Walk, both Wick, occurred on March 13, at The Shore, Wick.
Sheriff Berry who saw reports on both accused described the incident, as being “far from trivial”.
He said: “You seem to think you can make inappropriate comments to the police and nothing will come of it.”
The sheriff said that there was reference in the reports to Andrew Mackay’s “boorish behaviour” and to Mark Mackay’s “negative attitude and arrogance for the law.”
Sheriff Berry warned him: “If that arrogance continues, you will be back in custody and can expect to go to prison. It is that simple... and I don’t want to hear any stories about work getting in the way of the unpaid community service.”

Allegedly used charity name to collect

AN Inverness man has been accused of operating a fraudulent scheme for a charity in order to obtain clothing.
Miglius Orieska, of Millburn Road, Inverness, denied operating the bogus scheme in Wick and elsewhere in the county, on August 3, for McMillan Cancer for whom, it is alleged, he was not authorised to collect.
He also pleaded not guilty to road traffic offences involving, his licence and his insurance, and defects on his van.
Orieska (34) is due to stand trial on November 8.

Sentence postponed

A young trio who torched a car in the town were due to be sentenced today but that will now take place on Friday when the sheriff will see reports.
The three are Brett Webster (16) of Harrow Terrace, Wick, and Andrew Beresford (18) formerly of Seaforth Avenue, Wick but now living in Golspie, and Rachel Jones (20) of Roxburgh Road, Wick.
Webster and Beresford previously admitted setting fire to a car in Wellington Street, on March 4; Jones denied the charge but was found guilty after a trial.