PDA

View Full Version : dinosaur museum / centre

annemarie482
23-Oct-11, 23:25
looking for advice or recommendations.....

my 5 year old son is a dinosaur fanatic.
has been since he was old enough to take real interest in anything.
he watches all the programmes, reads the books (with help of course!)
and really has quite an impressive knowledge of dinosaurs for his age!

but what im looking for is a museum or centre, that focus's on dinosaurs, in scotland.

do you know of anywhere, or have you been somewhere like this?
is there such a place or would we have to go further afield.

i'd love from him to see a skeleton or something to show him just how big some of them really were!
and he'd love every second of a special dino trip!

NickInTheNorth
24-Oct-11, 08:35
good collection of dinosaurs at the Kelvingrove museum in Glasgow, taking my six year old to see them over Christmas Holidays

kgs
24-Oct-11, 08:39
Dynamic Earth and Museum of Scotland both in Edinburgh. Neither focus just on Dinosaurs but both have really good displays (including skeletons). I have a 7 year old and he loved them.

Rheghead
24-Oct-11, 09:26
Isn't there some dinosaur bones in the Dunrobin castle museum?

annemarie482
24-Oct-11, 09:45
thanks folks!
will contact some of these to see what they have, delighted that scotland has some was thinking we'd have to head further south!

Alice in Blunderland
24-Oct-11, 10:03
Dynamic Earth and Museum of Scotland both in Edinburgh. Neither focus just on Dinosaurs but both have really good displays (including skeletons). I have a 7 year old and he loved them.

I have to agree with this. We took the kids to the National Museum of Scotland and we had difficulty getting them to leave. It was brilliant.

http://www.nms.ac.uk/highlights/objects_in_focus/tyrannosaurus_rex.aspx

Dadie
24-Oct-11, 10:05
Isnt there a fossil display out at achannaras quarry?
It might be worth a look for a wee taster trip to see some fossils before the big trip!
Im sorry I dont know the opening times or what the place is called....
But it might give him some ideas about finding a dinosaur of his own...albeit a small one..by splitting some flagstones!