PDA

View Full Version : care aware part 3

bobandag16
23-Oct-11, 13:10
latest , letter arrives stating arrangements for warden cover.no choice,some one will phone week days only. sodeaf forgetful old people left to wonder what willhappen, they need to be SEEN every day .do offical not understand , no caring any more.why do we struggle on.?

sandyr1
23-Oct-11, 22:33
I have a bad feeling about these posts/ Is this some type of 'set up'?

poppett
24-Oct-11, 12:25
The only "set up" is the council removing warden cover from 34 elderly/vulnerable adults without due consultation, reduction in fees, or any real thought put into it.

The letter to which Bobandag16 refers was delivered on Saturday outlining the new system which is to be a daily phone call to each tenant asking if they are OK. This will not work in his case as he is profoundly deaf and does not hear the phone ringing and even if he did can`t hear what is being said. Sometimes elderly folks would just answer the question with "yes, I am fine" because they do not want to be a nuicence or if they have dementia truly think they are fine during the throes of a heart attack.

This morning I had the call to my mobile from the person assigned to make the calls to the tenants as when the tenancy was given to Dad it was arranged for me to set up the direct debit for payment so any problem the council knew to phone me to have it sorted, but I do not live with Dad so were unable to say if he was OK or not.

The residents have been hounded into paying for a service they no longer recieve as rent and warden fees are now combined into one payment......the question is "who is being set up?".

poppett
26-Oct-11, 15:19
Our MP is on the case and Carers UK have pointed out several issues where council are failing in their duty of care to these vulnerable adults.

Good news indeed.

poppett
29-Oct-11, 10:30
Northern Times have had articles recently on the teleservice which does not give good service, and Thurso warden (or lack of same) was on page 6 in Press and Journal yesterday.

Pity the council spokeswoman got her information incorrect regarding the warden cover.

bobandag16
29-Oct-11, 18:38
warden cover was 2 people. 1 full time 1 part time cover seven days .this is not about 1 persons job.but council not doing their job. been aware of situation for months. return of relief warden from leave will not resolve issue.lets keep to issue of peace of mind , old ill people in sheltered housing ,paying higher rent .