PDA

View Full Version : Smoking & Drinking In Pregnancy

WeeBurd
16-Oct-06, 14:52
According to todays lunchtime news on Grampain, more NHS funds are to be invested in aiding pregnant women to stop smoking....

I find this very frustrating. We all know that smoking is bad for us, and even more dangerous to the unborn foetus/babies/children, so why are there women still smoking when pregnant? One in every five apparently? And why should valuable NHS money be directed towards these people who can simply make the choice not to smoke? Because I believe it is a choice. And as any reformed smoker will tell you, it's hard work, but you can give up if you want to.

OK, I hear people cry "But what about the babies?". I agree, it's unfair to our little ones to put their lives/health at danger, but doesn't it again come down to parental responsibility? The parents know they should not smoke, so if they continue to do so...

It's frustrating that money is being filtered off in this way, yet many of us are sitting around without even basic dental care on the NHS. Don't we need to look at our priorities?:confused

There was a very similar subject covered on Tonight with Trevor MacDonald a few weeks ago, when alcohol consumption during pregnancy was discussed. Again, women blaming the government for not giving them enough facts about the impact alcohol can have on their unborn child, and saying the government must do more/invest more money in educating women. I mean, WHAT?? Again, we all know that there are risks involved with drinking alcohol, and common sense (along with the government leaflets which recommend NO alcohol whilst pregnant, and the midwives/health visitors who advise NO drinking whilst pregnant) and individual responsibility has to prevail.

It is an individuals choice to drink, smoke, when carrying a child. Why have we become a nation who refuse to take any responsibility for our own actoins?

j4bberw0ck
16-Oct-06, 15:29
An article in the press a few days ago highlighted a trend amongst young women who continue smoking in pregnancy (and in a few cases, who start smoking when pregnant) because there's a belief current that since on average babies of smokers have a lower birth weight, they'll have an easier birth when the time comes...... :roll:

The answer to your last question:

Why have we become a nation who refuse to take any responsibility for our own actoins?

is a complex issue and makes a good many people rather angry because it attacks a "sacred cow". The origins of it are in 1947, but the real root causes started in the 1960's and 1970's. It's called the Welfare State, but lots of people won't see it attacked. After all, it and the NHS are "the envy of the world"....... according to the government.

brandy
16-Oct-06, 15:44
well as i have never smoked in my life.. i cant really comment on that aspect.. but .. i do let vent when someone lights up around me!
i have been known in the past to say .. exscuse me do you mind not smoking right now? im pregnant.. or hello small children here!
if the person will not stop or leave the room.. then simple i leave.
i have tread on a lot of toes with my views on this.. and dont really care.. at the end of the day its my body and my and my childrens health at risk!
i have a standing rule.. there is NO smoking or drinking allowed in my house.. under any circumstances..
i have actually been given grief over this ..as people have said..well what if you have visitors that want a smoke or a drink..
simple not in my house.. if they are drunk.. 1 they are not welcome in my house.. and 2 if they can not respect my rules in my own home.. then again they are not welcome and do not need to come to it.

WeeBurd
16-Oct-06, 15:46
An article in the press a few days ago highlighted a trend amongst young women who continue smoking in pregnancy (and in a few cases, who start smoking when pregnant) because there's a belief current that since on average babies of smokers have a lower birth weight, they'll have an easier birth when the time comes...... :roll:

Sadly, I have heard one person I know comment to this effect as to why she had not given up smoking - she was pregnant at the time. :(

Anger, selfish, disgust are just a few words that spring to mind...

WeeBurd
16-Oct-06, 15:48
i have a standing rule.. there is NO smoking or drinking allowed in my house.. under any circumstances..
i have actually been given grief over this ..as people have said..well what if you have visitors that want a smoke or a drink..
simple not in my house.. if they are drunk.. 1 they are not welcome in my house.. and 2 if they can not respect my rules in my own home.. then again they are not welcome and do not need to come to it.

If that's your rules Brandy, then fair enough, Guests can choose to abide by them, or go elsewhere!

emszxr
16-Oct-06, 17:08
anyone who smokes whilst pregnant is downright selfish. if the thought of harmimg their unborn baby is not a big enough kick to make them stop, then they shouldnt be having babies. thats just my opinion.
i dont let anyone smoke in my house. they go to the garden. i dont even let them smoke at the door as it blows back in the house. i couldnt even care if it was a thunderstorm outside. i even hate it when people smoke in the street when kids are about, do they not realise that we can still inhale their deadly cigarette smoke. if i had my way the only place smokers could smoke would be in their own homes.

badger
16-Oct-06, 18:51
Seems to me it's all part of current selfish attitudes - I'll do it if I want to, it's my right. I'm sick to death of hearing about people's rights - what about responsibilities? Like many of you, there's no smoking in my house and anyone who can't last without it gets put in the garden regardless of weather. Taking it a bit further, I hate seeing parents smoking accompanied by young children. If they do it in the street then presumably they also do it at home. How little do they love their children? There's always help to be had if they really can't give up alone.

Billy Boy
16-Oct-06, 19:39
both me and mrs bb smoked:mad: before little miss bb came along, what more of an incentive does anybody need than haveing a wee one on the way, needless to say mrs bb gave up straight away:D she wouldnt even let me or anyone else smoke in the house or car, but i on the other hand took until i saw miss bb for the first time and held her and listened to her little breath's i knew then i had to stop, so needless to say nobody smokes in the house now whether little miss is there or not, i just cannot put into word's what i feel when i see a pregnant woman smokeing other that utter disgust and disbelief as to how someone could do that to their unborn child when it is obvious there are risks.

mccaugm
16-Oct-06, 20:11
I cannot comprehend why a woman would smoke and drink heavily during pregnancy and then continue to smoke once the child arrives. Such selfishness beggars belief.
I delighted in the smoking ban as I could finally take my children out without feeling intimidated.

I allow no-one to smoke near my children (as far as is possible) [evil] and no-one is allowed to smoke in my house. My husband is a smoker and I have made the point that I do not want my youngest child to see him smoking. My elder children are anti-smoking which is great.

If this is controversial so be it.

Bingobabe
16-Oct-06, 20:21
God you people need to get of you high horses and stop judging others!!!!! I belive we had a thread like this not that long ago!!!!!! I smoked while i was pregnant not because i was selfish or disgusting but because it,s addiction.
And infact my baby was the heavyiest baby on the ward and he,s perfect in every which way.

I would just like to point out that just because you smoke doesnt make you a bad person or an evil person cause is,nt it the government that made it legal to smoke in the frist place. Im probarly a better mother than most i never touched any alchol while i was pregnant and never would but you shouldnt condone what you have no idea about!!!![mad]

As i dont belive any of you are perfect!!!!!!

WeeBurd
16-Oct-06, 20:26
I appreciate the support on this, but my main reason for posting was to question should we be apportioning NHS funds to encourage these people to give up, when there is already adequate information/documentation to advise mothers not to drink or smoke during pregnancy? Why should we have to put more money into this (here we are, a county where many people cannot even get basic NHS dental care), when it simply boils down to lack of any consideration whatsoever for the health of the unborn child? Isn't this a complete waste of money, when the information is already there, and women are provided with it as part of their existing pre-natal care? If these women have not heeded the existing warnings, which are more than adequate (and perfectly clear), then what more is there to add to the argument? :confused

WeeBurd
16-Oct-06, 20:32
God you people need to get of you high horses and stop judging others!!!!! I belive we had a thread like this not that long ago!!!!!! I smoked while i was pregnant not because i was selfish or disgusting but because it,s addiction.
And infact my baby was the heavyiest baby on the ward and he,s perfect in every which way.

I would just like to point out that just because you smoke doesnt make you a bad person or an evil person cause is,nt it the government that made it legal to smoke in the frist place. Im probarly a better mother than most i never touched any alchol while i was pregnant and never would but you shouldnt condone what you have no idea about!!!![mad]

As i dont belive any of you are perfect!!!!!!

Fair enough Bingobabe, you chose not to stop. No one can force you anyway. Do you agree that you were well aware of the potential risks to your unborn child of smoking during pregnancy, but chose to ignore them? Or, do you think you would have benefited from additional information, and assistance in giving up?

You side of the debate is just as valid as the other, and as I've just clarified in my last post, I'm trying to open the debate just to understand whether this is really the way forward in this situation. Is more money really going to help those who chose not to help themselves?

I appreciate your open and honest response.

Bingobabe
16-Oct-06, 20:36
I appreciate the support on this, but my main reason for posting was to question should we be apportioning NHS funds to encourage these people to give up, when there is already adequate information/documentation to advise mothers not to drink or smoke during pregnancy? Why should we have to put more money into this (here we are, a county where many people cannot even get basic NHS dental care), when it simply boils down to lack of any consideration whatsoever for the health of the unborn child? Isn't this a complete waste of money, when the information is already there, and women are provided with it as part of their existing pre-natal care? If these women have not heeded the existing warnings, which are more than adequate (and perfectly clear), then what more is there to add to the argument? :confused

Because i smoke does not make me scum of society!!!! I work full time pay my bleedy taxes aswell you and the others arent the only who does as you seem to think. Take a walk in someone elses shoes for a day and you wouldnt be so quick to judge!!!!

WeeBurd
16-Oct-06, 20:42
Because i smoke does not make me scum of society!!!! I work full time pay my bleedy taxes aswell you and the others arent the only who does as you seem to think. Take a walk in someone elses shoes for a day and you wouldnt be so quick to judge!!!!

Bingobabe, at no point have I suggested you are anything, however I have suggested that women who smoke during pregnancy have no regard for the welfare of their unborn child. That's my opinion. I have not questioned your work ethic, your social standing or the colour of your car. I have no need to walk in anyone elses shoes for a day, but if you are suggesting I should have sympathy for smokers, then I'm afraid we will have to disagree.

However, as per my last post, my questions still stand. :confused

Lets not get personal, this is a discussion about NHS funding, and it would be disappointing and un-necessary for it to descend into all out war.

Bingobabe
16-Oct-06, 20:42
Fair enough Bingobabe, you chose not to stop. No one can force you anyway. Do you agree that you were well aware of the potential risks to your unborn child of smoking during pregnancy, but chose to ignore them? Or, do you think you would have benefited from additional information, and assistance in giving up?

You side of the debate is just as valid as the other, and as I've just clarified in my last post, I'm trying to open the debate just to understand whether this is really the way forward in this situation. Is more money really going to help those who chose not to help themselves?

I appreciate your open and honest response.

No i dont think i was offered enough support to give up during my pregnancy!!! I told the midwives and they choose to ignore the fact or said to me you should stop!!!!How the heck was that supposed to help mmmmmmm. Anyway i think they should be more help for mothers to be who smoke as there clearly isnt enough help offered now!!!

Bingobabe
16-Oct-06, 20:46
I am a very forward person and these threads really do annoy me and i find when people call people who smoke Names it is also directed towards me i have tried on several occassions to give up and it extremely difficult!!!!!!

WeeBurd
16-Oct-06, 20:46
both me and mrs bb smoked:mad: before little miss bb came along, what more of an incentive does anybody need than haveing a wee one on the way, needless to say mrs bb gave up straight away:D she wouldnt even let me or anyone else smoke in the house or car, but i on the other hand took until i saw miss bb for the first time and held her and listened to her little breath's i knew then i had to stop, so needless to say nobody smokes in the house now whether little miss is there or not, i just cannot put into word's what i feel when i see a pregnant woman smokeing other that utter disgust and disbelief as to how someone could do that to their unborn child when it is obvious there are risks.

Well done the BB family for giving up, both of you. MrsBB, just like Bingobabe, you're in the best place to answer as to whether you were given enough support in giving up. Do you have an opinion on it at all?

WeeBurd
16-Oct-06, 20:50
I am a very forward person and these threads really do annoy me and i find when people call people who smoke Names it is also directed towards me i have tried on several occassions to give up and it extremely difficult!!!!!!

Bingo, it's not directed at you personally, however you have been quite ferocious in your response to the posts. Also, as the only smoker that has responded, you're the only person who can really give a smokers-eye view so to speak.

I will appreciate it's a subject that's very close to your heart, so will not take it personally ;) .

brandy
16-Oct-06, 21:09
well i am very anti-smoking..
simply put i do not want to be around smokers at all.. as the smell makes me sick in itself.
i will not even allow my own mother and father around my children while they are smoking.
my mother and i fell out once before on this once when we were back home in the states visiting.
she wanted us to stay with her.
i told her that as long as they did not smoke in the house while we were there fine.
she refused and i told her i was sorry that i was not exposing my children to that.
my 3 year old has asthma as it is.
my mother does not belive that smoking hurts asthma..
so would not listen.
i made it very clear.
i love her but in no way shape or form were they going to interact with my children while smoking.
if that puts me on a high horse then get me a ladder cause on this issue i will keep on climbing.
on the same note. my best friend smokes and has children.
she is one of the all time best mothers in the world.
and i do not begrudge her at all.
i gurn at her to stop.. and she takes it goodhartedly..
she also is quite happy to tell me when my butt looks fat in something.. or when im about to do something really stupid .. and we have a very good relationship because of it.. but i absolutley do not look down on her because she smokes.
but she knows better than to smoke around my kids as i would go absolutley mad.
and she dosent smoke around hers as a fact..
so kinda a moot point *grins*

Billy Boy
16-Oct-06, 21:13
Well done the BB family for giving up, both of you. MrsBB, just like Bingobabe, you're in the best place to answer as to whether you were given enough support in giving up. Do you have an opinion on it at all?

I had been a smoker for over 20 years and had tried many times to stop and failed miserably i tried just stopping, gum & patches (i even smoked with the patches on).
My daughter was I.V.F. and the stress of the treatment made me find it even harder to stop, but, when i found out i was pregnant i found the willpower to stop straight away.
I wasnt offered any support what so ever although there was leaflets in the hospitals and clinics telling of the risks.
It was my own personnal choice to stop for the sake of my baby maybe i found it easier because of what i had to go through to have her in the first place.
Putting more money into it wont make people stop, i mean its hardly rocket science, its obvious to anyone that there are risks and at the end of the day it comes down to whether someone really wants to stop or not, like all addictions they can be overcome.
And yes i know some people need help more that others but they have to be willing to want to help themselfs

WeeBurd
16-Oct-06, 21:21
I had been a smoker for over 20 years and had tried many times to stop and failed miserably i tried just stopping, gum & patches (i even smoked with the patches on).
My daughter was I.V.F. and the stress of the treatment made me find it even harder to stop, but, when i found out i was pregnant i found the willpower to stop straight away.
I wasnt offered any support what so ever although there was leaflets in the hospitals and clinics telling of the risks.
It was my own personnal choice to stop for the sake of my baby maybe i found it easier because of what i had to go through to have her in the first place.
Putting more money into it wont make people stop, i mean its hardly rocket science, its obvious to anyone that there are risks and at the end of the day it comes down to whether someone really wants to stop or not, like all addictions they can be overcome.
And yes i know some people need help more that others but they have to be willing to want to help themselfs

Well done Mrs, and I have a very small insight into IVF, you are a very fortunate and lucky couple :D !

I also think you've perhaps confirmed my thinking - the help to give up may not be forthcoming from the NHS (although I'd imagine if you asked, you would be offered some support), but you were well aware of the risks, and for those reasons you chose to embark on the hard struggle to give up. Fullest of admiration!

Billy Boy
16-Oct-06, 21:26
[quote=WeeBurd;147114]Well done Mrs, and I have a very small insight into IVF, you are a very fortunate and lucky couple :D !

lol we are very forunate and lucky,miss bb is 1 in a million, in more way's than 1:D