PDA

View Full Version : Paintball

nicnak
29-Nov-04, 18:28
Is anyone out there interested in setting up a paintball club ? My son is 15 and driving me mad saying he wants a paintball gun and would like to start a club? If there is enough interest I would see what I could do.
Let me know if your interested
thanks
nicnak :Razz

Dali
29-Nov-04, 20:36
Hi yes i would be interested and have thought about this myself for a while .
The prices for kit have dropped so is affordable to most people now

A_Usher
29-Nov-04, 21:51
I have a friend who runs paintball sites in Glasgow. In fact, i am just back from Glasgow where we hosted another one of our Systema Seminars. Whilst there we gave some tuition to some air soft guys on gun disarm and tactical manoeuvres etc. I was contemplating setting up an airsoft club myself.

We have quite a few special forces guys who train with us and work within close protection, and teach weapon handling and shooting using airsoft weapons, which can be transferred over into paintball.

Andrew.

The Godfather
29-Nov-04, 22:03
I know lots of people that would be interested. Where in the county are you?

nicnak
30-Nov-04, 01:03
Hi guys I'm in Clyth,nr Lybster I will see what I can organize

Naefearjustbeer
30-Nov-04, 09:35
You have to be very carefull with your venue, Paintball guns are classed as air rifles and if the place is frequented by peole passing buy and they accidentally got splatted with paint you would be looking at firearms charges being pressed. Airsoft which is classed as a toy gun can still get you charged with firearm offences if discharged in a public place.

http://www.havocpaintball.com for an idea of prices for markers etc. The major expense would be insurance and a way to recharge your cylanders

A_Usher
30-Nov-04, 11:26
Hi ,
I am aware of the legislations, and any event we put on confirms both tolegislation and health and safety, as is our martial arts organisation. I can offer airsoft training both from a skirmish and training point of view, as part of the martial arts system we teach is military special forces based and we can cover CQB techniques etc.

If anyone is interested in that let me know or go to:

www.systemascotland.co.uk or www.systemauk.com

Andrew

jjc
30-Nov-04, 12:35
If you get on of these I'm in :D

http://www.geocities.com/coltman887/tank.gif

The Godfather
30-Nov-04, 13:09
Rumster Forrest would be magic for paintballing as would many of our otherforrests.
Paintball guns very cheap on eBay.

The Godfather
30-Nov-04, 13:11
But I suppose you would get these envirometalnuts that would say it would traumotise birds. It would have to be under cover of dark. :evil

Riffman
30-Nov-04, 13:50
It would be great to get something going! I think that Airsoft would be better then Paintball as you dont have the same restrictive legislation, and the gear is a lot cheaper to get started with! Check out Arnies for more info about Airsoft :http://www.arniseairsoft.co.uk

Unlike paintball, Airsoft guns are full auto with most developing around 700 RPM!!

:cool: Riff :cool:

A_Usher
30-Nov-04, 17:08
If people are interested in professional run airsoft let me know, or visit my website, www.systemascotland.co.uk. We recently did a session down south with some ex SAS blokes, on CQB and it was great.

The good thing about airsoft is that the weapons are versatile, and replicate most modern weapons. At my systema club we deal with weapon disarming, rolling with weapons etc, etc.

Andrew

The Godfather
30-Nov-04, 17:13
Would age limits apply? :(

captain chaos
30-Nov-04, 19:58
How about the old hanger at Wick airport as an indoor venue !!!! :eek:

George Brims
30-Nov-04, 19:59
Unlike paintball, Airsoft guns are full auto with most developing around 700 RPM!!

If you spend enough money, paintball guns can be full auto. My son spent about $1000 US on his all told, including custom modifications. Now he has a monster he can't afford to feed! You can run through a LOT of paintballs with one of those things if you get carried away. You really don't want to be using a single shot one in a game against high end auto paintball guns, unless you're very good at creeping about unseen and getting the opponent from behind with a well-placed shot.

The only age limit Mr Godfather is "Can I move fast enough so the younguns don't get me?" (See creeping about coment above.)

Paintball is great fun, and very good exercise. Once the adrenalin gets flowing you don't notice how much you're doing until you try to move the next morning!

As for the environmental concerns, the paint is biodegradeable, and there isn't that much noise to disturb wildlife. Most of it is yelling, or saying ouch! or other less polite things when you get hit!

George

PS avoid airsoft guns those damn wee balls mess up the hoover!

Naefearjustbeer
30-Nov-04, 20:18
Rumster Forrest would be magic for paintballing as would many of our otherforrests.
Paintball guns very cheap on eBay.

When I tried paintball it was in a forest just south of Aviemore (Alvie Estate). I thought it was an excellent venue and thoroughly enjoyed my day. I would be Interested in something if it started up here. A club would be better than a business being set up as I think it might cost a lot of people out of the equation.
I am not sure if paintball would be approved of by the Forestry Commision I know they want to encourage people to use the forests but I think they mean mountain bikes and horses or walkers. Maybe a privately owned forest would be a better bet for a location. It can get very expensive though once the adrenaline kicks in and you sart firing off hundreds of paintballs. It also hurts, some of they guys were covered in bruises the next day like loads of love bites all over the body. Airsoft stings a bit too but I dont think it has the same effective range as a paintball marker

JAWS
30-Nov-04, 20:19
That lets me out George, I keep getting Mugged by tortoises. Boy can they move fast! :D

A_Usher
30-Nov-04, 20:23
Airsoft is far more accurate and cheap to run, and is generally very affordable. I have several airsoft weapons, and train a lot of military people with them. I have contacts within airsoft and paintball and was considering setting up either or both, as i can get trade prices on pellets, thunder flashes etc.

Andrew

Riffman
30-Nov-04, 20:29
Just a point ot note: full auto paintball markers are illigal here in the UK, and you can end up with a fine of £5000 or 6 months in jail. They are considered to be airguns in the eyes of the law, and as such are restricted to 16 J power and semi-auto only.

wouldn't want any of you to get your equipment confiscated by the cops.

Airsoft is still better than painball, it hurts less!!

Riff

Riffman
30-Nov-04, 20:31
How about the old hanger at Wick airport as an indoor venue !!!! :eek:

Good idea, the one next to it is owned by Far North aviation, and It is 50,000 sq feet in size, the same.

Riff

http://www.airsoftscotland.com

A_Usher
30-Nov-04, 20:31
Aye, i agree, airsoft is more diverse, easy to customise weapons, and is growing, and no paint. Downside is you need good honest players and marshalls.

Andrew

The Godfather
30-Nov-04, 23:55
I wis prefere paintball,

http://www.scottishpaintballcentre.co.uk/

Dali
01-Dec-04, 00:06
Yeah i prefer paintball more fun atleast you know you have hit some one and been hit
Its all biodegradable

George Brims
01-Dec-04, 00:44
I didn't know about the full-auto restriction. That is a shame in some ways. though it would tend to even things up. When I go to our local paintball place with my son it's a bit irritating to be using the rented single-shot thing and then some guy appears with a high-tech machine that delivers more paintballs in a 3 second burst than mine holds altogether.

There's a business opportunity here for some farmer to lay out a field with some scrap wood and bales to make a battleground for both type of gun. Perhaps the people who do the ATV stuff could expand into that too.

El_Rozzo
01-Dec-04, 09:27
Yeah, me and a few friends one who is probobaly your son have been talkin about it for a while now at school, but its confusing knowing what type of gun and other things to buy. But i definately be interested in joining the club or team. :D

A_Usher
01-Dec-04, 11:11
Airsoft pellets are biodegradable also. I will most likely put on a small mini seminar early next year on airsoft, so i you are interested keep an eye out on www.systemascotland.co.uk

Andrew

codex
01-Dec-04, 15:45
Yea i think this paintball thing would be a great idea...me an my friends used to go down to the old buildings at castlehill armed with modified .22 air rifles and at least 1000 6mm
tracer paintballs.

It was a silly thing to do but great fun as there was around 9 of us each armed with an air rifle or pistol an using 6mm airsoft tracer paintballs.it seemed the airsoft guns had no power factor most were producing around 12 joules..it was better getting an air rifle or pistol
producing at least 6 ft/lbs power to power yer 6mm paintballs..getting shot though hurt but it was good as it was a reminder not to get shot.. getting shot with airsoft is like a hail stone cracking you on the head.lol..the range a shot could be taking went out to at least 40-50 yrds. if you had 12ft/lbs power the legal air rifle limit..then you get amazing performance. 100 yrds plus.

now though im sure all firearms softair.air rifles/pistols.blank.deactivations etc require license's

I see that harpers in thurso are selling paintball guns.they look at bit dodgy though..

Riffman
01-Dec-04, 16:16
Techno, that sounds painful!

Just in case people are unsure of what is legal:

Airsoft/Softair/plastic bb guns -----Considered to be below 1J of energy and have no restrictions or licencing. Must not be used in a public place (your own safety, armed police etc..... )

Airguns----- 16 J (12ft/lb) energy limit, minimum age for unsupervised use, 17. Must not be used on any public land, or within 50 feet of any road, or path which has access for the public.

Paintball----The same as Airguns. Semi-auto only.

For more info see here:

http://www.practicalairsoft.co.uk/uk-law.asp
http://website.lineone.net/~triggerfish/gunlaw.htm
http://www.ukpsf.com/paintballandthelaw.htm

Riff

George Brims
01-Dec-04, 20:25
Actually El_Rozzo you won't have met my son as we live in California! Over here there are a lot of commercial paintball places, where they have plywood forts and walls and stuff to hide behind, plus they usually do it on land that is a bit hilly with trees. They also have firm rules about safety gear, and check the speed of each gun with the kind of radar that tells you how fast the baseball pitcher is throwing. If it's firing too hard they make you adjust it down. I don't mind getting a bruise but the stronger ones will break the skin! Of course *certain people* immediately tweak the gun back to full power once the safety marshall isn't looking!

kev
01-Dec-04, 22:04
hi there i'm interested in joining this paintball club cheers!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

El_Rozzo
02-Dec-04, 09:12
Actually i meant nicnaks son :D sorry for the confusion dude.

El_Rozzo
02-Dec-04, 09:19
im thinking about ordering an orion viewloader from ebay, is this gun alright for begginers? its only about £55.00 and you get a hopper, co2,paintballs,marker,mask/goggles. disna sound too bad.

t
02-Dec-04, 12:09
I know that someone is setting one up very shortly in caithness caithnesspaintball.co.uk i think

nicnak
02-Dec-04, 18:41
Hi el rozzo yes you do know Vin and in the process of sorting out an outdoor venue and hopefully will have some answers by the end of the weekend, Hope this helps everyone interested.
nicole :Razz

The Godfather
04-Dec-04, 18:38
Any updates?

Rheghead
05-Dec-04, 19:52
Paintball sounds like good fun to me, but a Laser Quest facility would be an 'all day' and 'an all year round' option, and much cleaner too!?

nicnak
05-Dec-04, 20:39
Yes laser quest would be cleaner but would it be as much fun as trying to cover your mates in paint whilst its chucking it down and blowing a gale? Nah! Anyway youv'e got to be tough to play paintball!
Nicole
ps not heard back from forrestry yet will be chasing them up tommorow :evil

nicnak
07-Dec-04, 20:15
Right guys
have spoke to the forrestry again today and they informed me that the matter was now in the hands of the big bosses at the commision and that hopefully we should know something in the next fortnight I will let everyone know as soon as I do and meantime will be looking for alternative venues, if anyone out there knows of anyone with a wood / forrest that we could use please could you let me know so I can try them either pm or phone 01593 721790
many thanks
nicole

The Godfather
07-Dec-04, 23:37
Could try Newton Forest, ask the Forrest Community Group thingy.

can anyone tell me if this gun is any good, its cheap at least:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5541064248&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Thanks

Riffman
08-Dec-04, 14:27
Newton woodland would be no good because it is public land, and as such you can't use Paintball markers there. :~( shame though, nice and close to my house!

Riff

The Godfather
08-Dec-04, 18:37
Up near Altnabrec there is a long dead end road in the forest. This is a fountain forrestry forrest and well away from houses but an area at the top of this road for parking cars etc, so accesible. If you have the Thurso and Dunbeath OS map, grid reffs: NC 460 045. Ive camped there and I had the thought at the thime it would be magic for paintball. Just an idea ;)

Naefearjustbeer
09-Dec-04, 00:58
Up near Altnabrec there is a long dead end road in the forest. This is a fountain forrestry forrest and well away from houses but an area at the top of this road for parking cars etc, so accesible. If you have the Thurso and Dunbeath OS map, grid reffs: NC 460 045. Ive camped there and I had the thought at the thime it would be magic for paintball. Just an idea ;)

If its the spot I am thinking of, I think the co-ords you need are ND 045 460 and it is part of the RSPB nature reserve area.

The fountain forestry have also put a padlock on the gate at ND 072 464 stopping vehicle access from the Loch More side. to drive to that spot you have to approach from forsinard which makes it quite a trek these days the padlock was put on late this summer. Oh and the midges and black flys are murder in the summer!!

Have a look at the link belowto see if I am thinking of the place you mean?

Link (http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=304470&y=945950&z=4&sv=304500,945500&st=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf&dn=520)

nicnak
21-Dec-04, 20:30
right guys I have heard back from forrestry commision and we could use the forrest once we get public liability cover for up to 5million pounds. I am currently trying to get some quotes together but in the mean time if anyone knows of any other land we could use be it a disused quarry etc please let me know
many thanks
nicole

Naefearjustbeer
22-Dec-04, 00:43
right guys I have heard back from forrestry commision and we could use the forrest once we get public liability cover for up to 5million pounds. I am currently trying to get some quotes together but in the mean time if anyone knows of any other land we could use be it a disused quarry etc please let me know
many thanks
nicole

5 MILLION :eek: :eek:

If that is what the forestry require I would think any other land owner would require the same. I had heard a couple of years ago some one local was trying to set up a paintball business and decided against it because of insurance costs. I think a group of individuals starting a club would struggle even more to cope with such costs

nicnak
06-Jan-05, 18:08
Ok back to serious stuff the only quote i can get for the insurance to cover us for the 5million is for £1325= So who now is serious about joining the club the more people we have the cheaper it will be so if anyone is really serious please could you email me with your names and phone no's so we can get together and see where to go from here
many thanks
nicole

The Godfather
07-Jan-05, 18:43
Well I don't have a gun and I cant afford one just now, so im out. :(

Kirdon
15-Mar-05, 18:14
Anyone tried "Caithness Off Road" at Lower Gillock Farm, by Wick. I believe they already have insurance, and they have plenty of land as well as staff who could act as referee's. Anyone interested could try them on 01955605988. I would have go myself if things worked out.

Bobinovich
15-Mar-05, 21:01
My wife & I would love to give it a try (and the paintball!!!) ;-). I know another couple of guys who were looking at the old Forss base for a business-oriented 'team-working' paintball site before it was taken over & I'm sure they'd be game too.

I think everything should be kept on a level playing field (so to say) - i.e. all single shot or semi-auto guns only.

Riffman
16-Mar-05, 13:35
For paintball they can only be single shot. For airsoft they can be full auto, makes it far more fun that way, and a heck of a lot cheaper than paintball to run. 5000 BB only cost £10, 100 paintballs cost £10...you get the idea.

Scotland's best supplier of Airsoft Stuff http://www.airsoftscotland.com

~~Tides~~
09-Apr-05, 12:55
Hi Again,

Just thought I would bring this back to the top again. What is happening now, is there a running club now or what?