PDA

View Full Version : Caithness Spinners and Knitters Win Caithness V Cornwall Challenge

Kingetter
16-Oct-06, 09:05
As per the front page on the website 14th October, Caithness Spinners and Knitters have won again. Perhaps this is not top of the list of many people's interests, but it is Caithness, it is a success story with good news, and it also shows that within Caithness, old traditions are still alive and well. I think the Caithness team deserve recognition for their efforts and Dunnet sheep for their contribution.

Much has been said on this Board about topics/thread content. Maybe there aren't many other events like the above mentioned competition, but if there are any, let's record them and anything else that highlight matters which reflect well on Caithness, rather than paint a less than complimentary picture of the area so many claim to like so much, and others from outside are so keen to move to or visit. Maybe there are other stories of similar value about Caithness, if so please, let us hear about them.
James.

(http://www.caithness.org/fpb/2006/october/gallery.php?gallery=9)

Bobbyian
16-Oct-06, 20:15
I must say congratulations to the Knitters and Spinners its great to hear such events and know there other people try to do their thing and uphold all these old and dying craft I take my hat off to you Keep it up

Kingetter
16-Oct-06, 20:20
I must say congratulations to the Knitters and Spinners its great to hear such events and know there other people try to do their thing and uphold all these old and dying craft I take my hat off to you Keep it up

Some of these crafts may fall away without enthusiastic support from Caithnessians and when they're gone, folk will shrug their shoulders and walk away, saying, "What a shame", instead of supporting them while they existed.

Kenn
16-Oct-06, 22:27
Well done the knitters and spinners of Caithness.
I have divided loyalties on this one being Cornish but a frequent visitor to the far north.
Now when hopefully my address becomes Caithness...err what do I do then..will have to hang up me knitting needles!

Kingetter
16-Oct-06, 22:32
Well done the knitters and spinners of Caithness.
I have divided loyalties on this one being Cornish but a frequent visitor to the far north.
Now when hopefully my address becomes Caithness...err what do I do then..will have to hang up me knitting needles!

Will that get you in a spin?:lol:

Bobbyian
17-Oct-06, 18:31
I can understand that But I believe there is a slight trend in High quality Handcrafted goods to be taken in on the right places even here in Germany although they take on Modern Items there is a trend to have , lets say a specially hand made Frontdoor or a specially made oldstyle farmhouse cabinet etc.. so may be we should keep trying to keep these practises up

Kingetter
17-Oct-06, 18:40
I can understand that But I believe there is a slight trend in High quality Handcrafted goods to be taken in on the right places even here in Germany although they take on Modern Items there is a trend to have , lets say a specially hand made Frontdoor or a specially made oldstyle farmhouse cabinet etc.. so may be we should keep trying to keep these practises up

Once they're gone, they're gone and no mistake. Crafts shouldn't be allowed to fall away - these are part of what Caithness is, and something to be proud of.

Bill Fernie
17-Oct-06, 22:25
Can I mention the Halkirk Tug O War Team who in the last couple of years have gone to the top of the sport in Scotland -
2005 - Scottish Champions - 680kg
2006 - Scottish Champions - 640kg
2006 - Scottish Champions - 680kg
2006 - Scottish Runners-Up - 720kg

See their web page http://www.halkirkyfc.co.uk/Halkirk%20TOW.htm

I am sure you will agree this is tremendous achievement for a team from a small village in Caithness who have taken on the best from the whole of Scotland.

Kingetter
17-Oct-06, 22:32
Can I mention the Halkirk Tug O War Team who in the last couple of years have gone to the top of the sport in Scotland -
2005 - Scottish Champions - 680kg
2006 - Scottish Champions - 640kg
2006 - Scottish Champions - 680kg
2006 - Scottish Runners-Up - 720kg

See their web page http://www.halkirkyfc.co.uk/Halkirk%20TOW.htm

I am sure you will agree this is tremendous achievement for a team from a small village in Caithness who have taken on the best from the whole of Scotland.

Agreed Bill - our own successes etc in Caithness go rather unnoticed in comparison with other places, and that surely reflects on viewers across the world who tune into Caithness.org
We should be proud.

Kingetter
18-Oct-06, 11:57
And more good news - from CCWS front page - Bower -

A team from Bower YFC chalked up their 4th win on the trot at the annual Caithness Young Farmers District Cattle Dressing competition. The Bower team, James Barnetson and Stuart Mackay now go forward to represent Caithness at the Regional eliminations to be held in Dingwall Mart on Saturday 21st October. Taking second place was the Bower C team of John Macaulay and Karen Oliphant with the Junior winners, Ranald Angus & Carrie Mcadie of Bower B taking third place overall......
Good Luck in the next stage to them.

sweetpea
18-Oct-06, 12:02
The picture in today's paper of the knitters has certainly inspired me to get my pins and hooks out and get going again. I've been knitting and crotchet on and off for a lot of years but haven't done any for at least 3, so well done them for motivating me! I've looked up some patterns and been and got the wool, just need to get up to the attic now for my pins:D

Kingetter
18-Oct-06, 12:09
The picture in today's paper of the knitters has certainly inspired me to get my pins and hooks out and get going again. I've been knitting and crotchet on and off for a lot of years but haven't done any for at least 3, so well done them for motivating me! I've looked up some patterns and been and got the wool, just need to get up to the attic now for my pins:D
Well that's good then eh? Maybe you'll be able to add something re the Events 2007 posted on another thread?