PDA

View Full Version : So, global warming, proved at last..?

bekisman
21-Oct-11, 08:06
Well at last a real look to clear up the confusion. AND it might be anthropogenic global warming (caused by us).. well, must admit even a 'scientist' on here had his doubts about that, so what hope was there for us poor illiterates..

"The Earth's surface really is getting warmer, a new analysis by a US scientific group set up in the wake of the "Climategate" affair has concluded. "Climategate", in 2009, involved claims global warming had been exaggerated.

Emails of University of East Anglia (UEA) climate scientists were hacked, posted online and used by critics to allege manipulation of climate change data. The Berkeley group says it has also found evidence that changing sea temperatures in the north Atlantic may be a major reason why the Earth's average temperature varies globally from year to year.

The project was established by University of California physics professor Richard Muller, who was concerned by claims that established teams of climate researchers had not been entirely open with their data."We were concerned that the climate scientists were not putting all their data into the public domain, whether using Freedom of Information rules or anything else," he told BBC News."Science should be open, and data should be open, as a matter of principle."

Since the 1950s, the average temperature over land has increased by 1C, the group found.
The Berkeley group does depart from the "orthodox" picture of climate science in its depiction of short-term variability in the global temperature.

The El Nino Southern Oscillation (ENSO) is generally thought to be the main reason for inter-annual warming or cooling.
But by the Berkeley team's analysis, the global temperature correlates more closely with the state of the Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation (AMO) index - a measure of sea surface temperature in the north Atlantic.

There are theories suggesting that the AMO index is in turn driven by fluctuations in the north Atlantic current commonly called the Gulf Stream.The team suggests it is worth investigating whether the long-term AMO cycles, which are thought to last 65-70 years, may play a part in the temperature rise, fall and rise again seen during the 20th Century.

But they emphasise that anthropogenic global warming (AGW) driven by greenhouse gas emissions is very much in their picture.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15373071

oldmarine
22-Oct-11, 00:44
Well at last a real look to clear up the confusion. AND it might be anthropogenic global warming (caused by us).. well, must admit even a 'scientist' on here had his doubts about that, so what hope was there for us poor illiterates..

"The Earth's surface really is getting warmer, a new analysis by a US scientific group set up in the wake of the "Climategate" affair has concluded. "Climategate", in 2009, involved claims global warming had been exaggerated.

Emails of University of East Anglia (UEA) climate scientists were hacked, posted online and used by critics to allege manipulation of climate change data. The Berkeley group says it has also found evidence that changing sea temperatures in the north Atlantic may be a major reason why the Earth's average temperature varies globally from year to year.

The project was established by University of California physics professor Richard Muller, who was concerned by claims that established teams of climate researchers had not been entirely open with their data."We were concerned that the climate scientists were not putting all their data into the public domain, whether using Freedom of Information rules or anything else," he told BBC News."Science should be open, and data should be open, as a matter of principle."

Since the 1950s, the average temperature over land has increased by 1C, the group found.
The Berkeley group does depart from the "orthodox" picture of climate science in its depiction of short-term variability in the global temperature.

The El Nino Southern Oscillation (ENSO) is generally thought to be the main reason for inter-annual warming or cooling.
But by the Berkeley team's analysis, the global temperature correlates more closely with the state of the Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation (AMO) index - a measure of sea surface temperature in the north Atlantic.

There are theories suggesting that the AMO index is in turn driven by fluctuations in the north Atlantic current commonly called the Gulf Stream.The team suggests it is worth investigating whether the long-term AMO cycles, which are thought to last 65-70 years, may play a part in the temperature rise, fall and rise again seen during the 20th Century.

But they emphasise that anthropogenic global warming (AGW) driven by greenhouse gas emissions is very much in their picture.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15373071

I am still of the opinion that golbal warming is cyclic and has happened throughout the world over a long period of time.

weezer 316
22-Oct-11, 12:24
Over a long period of time. of course it does. 40 yers is not a long period of time. infact over the age of the earth its about the same as the fist few second of your life.

Why would you ignore the evidence? it makes literally no sense

changilass
22-Oct-11, 15:22
How long will it be afore another group disproves it?

Depending on how you interperet data you can make it prove whatever you want.

Considering how much cows emit, I don't think that me leaving my tv on standby makes much of a difference, other than to my families health and safety due to fire risk.

secrets in symmetry
22-Oct-11, 15:52
Over a long period of time. of course it does. 40 yers is not a long period of time. infact over the age of the earth its about the same as the fist few second of your life.

Why would you ignore the evidence? it makes literally no senseWhenever I see uninformed idiotic posts like the one you replied to, I remember what Rheghead taught us. People on this forum believe whatever they like, and there's no point in discussing global warming with them.

Still, it's good to see a group funded by some of the most extreme global warming deniers rediscovering what the rest of us have known for a long time now.

bekisman
22-Oct-11, 17:10
Whenever I see uninformed idiotic posts like the one you replied to, I remember what Rheghead taught us. People on this forum believe whatever they like, and there's no point in discussing global warming with them.

Still, it's good to see a group funded by some of the most extreme global warming deniers rediscovering what the rest of us have known for a long time now.
Gosh the boy is in a naughty mood, wonder why he gets sooo upset, seems to find comfort in bullying (and I ain't talking about this thread), 'idiotic posts'..hmm check your own threads sis and would have thought you'd have picked this 'breaking news' up sooner, but never mind..

Good to see you support your fellow 'scientist' reggy, are you on the same shifts? ;)

Oh I forgot (hence amendment) but you should have checked with your co-shift worker re "I remember what Rheghead taught us" cos back in good ole February 2005 on this very Org, he says; "Fair enough, but I would be a lot happier about the scientists who claim that humans are causing Global Warming if they present one piece of evidence to prove without doubt that we are doing so. So far they haven't. "
Whoops, you missed that one sonny boy

redeyedtreefrog
24-Oct-11, 16:05
It's not 'proved at last', it was proven well before this.

secrets in symmetry
24-Oct-11, 17:09
It's not 'proved at last', it was proven well before this.Yes, the shiny new Berkeley team gets the same results as everyone else - to within expected uncertainties.

It's amusingly ironic that this team of mostly physicists - who after "Climategate" believed that only they could do the job properly - have confirmed the results of climate scientists they once looked down their noses at. Just as ironic is that their study was provided with substantial funding by major climate-change deniers. :cool:

Their AMO results confirm what what some of us have known for some time. It's oceans next for them, which is (still arguably?) the most important aspect of all.

Still, Nobel Laureate Saul Perlmutter will probably remain more well known for teaching weezer that the universe expands forever faster....