PDA

View Full Version : Pay attention ladies...

Dreadnought
15-Oct-06, 20:38
Real beauty? (http://www.campaignforrealbeauty.ca/film_fullscreen_evo.html)

dragonfly
15-Oct-06, 20:52
Good one Dreadnought. Don't particularily like many Dove products but love their campaign for real women

WeeBurd
15-Oct-06, 21:06
Good one Dreadnought. Don't particularily like many Dove products but love their campaign for real women

I don't, as when the ad comes on the telly, Wee'erBurd points to the ladies and says "Mummy's belly"!! [lol]

sassylass
15-Oct-06, 22:05
wow that's enough to raise an eyebrow or two

engiebenjy
15-Oct-06, 22:23
Wait til I show Mr Engie!

Rheghead
15-Oct-06, 22:27
I think that all the beauty and photographic techniques not only give women a distorted sense of beauty but also they give men one as well. I have a friend who I know will go through life, waiting for that unobtainable supermodel type. I'm afraid he will grow into a lonely old man :(

Buttercup
15-Oct-06, 23:05
And there was me thinking there was no hope for me! All I need is a make-up artist, a hairdresser, a photographer, a computer, appropriate software (plus be able to use it)! [lol]

Naefearjustbeer
15-Oct-06, 23:18
I remember reading an article that said something like 90% of women look up to posh spice for her figure and looks and 90% of men thought she was a scrawny git and prefered more curvy women.. Take heed girls we men dont like the starved look all skin and bone. Give us some nice shapely curves any day. The only reason models are so skinny is because the designers havent worked out how to make clothes hangers walk down a catwalk. They use ugly scrawny girls so the clothes look good. They dont want you to be ogling the nice curvy girl instead of the latest outfit now do they

sassylass
15-Oct-06, 23:52
Remember though, some women cannot help being scrawny gits, that is the body type they were born with. Good thing most men see beyond looks, to true inner beauty.

Mister Squiggle
16-Oct-06, 10:09
I'm always a bit suss when a large company promotes "real beauty", as the cynic in me says "they're still trying to flog me soap".
However, I just about wept when I watched this, as I have two beautiful younger sisters who think they are too fat, numerous friends who compare jeans sizes and inane make-up advice and a daughter who watches and listens to all of this intently. I tell her it's a load of old cobblers, but sometimes it feels like Canute trying to hold back the sea.
I have also heard 12 year old students talk about dieting and watched them pour over fashion mags filled with ridiculously unattainable ideals of beauty.
I'd like to make this video compulsory viewing for all my students and all the women I know who angst about how they look. Regardless of what Dove are selling, this is still a pretty powerful piece of film. We need more of this kind of stuff to counterbalance all the stick insects and airbrushed faces that are held up in front of our daughters as ideals to aspire to.

WeeBurd
16-Oct-06, 10:27
I remember reading an article that said something like 90% of women look up to posh spice for her figure and looks and 90% of men thought she was a scrawny git and prefered more curvy women.. Take heed girls we men dont like the starved look all skin and bone. Give us some nice shapely curves any day. The only reason models are so skinny is because the designers havent worked out how to make clothes hangers walk down a catwalk. They use ugly scrawny girls so the clothes look good. They dont want you to be ogling the nice curvy girl instead of the latest outfit now do they

I think it's unfair to suggest scrawny girls are ugly, just because of their build. Most women have hang ups about their weight/shape, and if they don't have hang-ups about themselves, they have hang ups about others. As Sassy has said, some women are naturally very slim/boyish. As much as women have to accept that skeletal/slim is not an ideal, men have to accept that curves are not what make the woman.:confused

However, if I'm being honest, I don't think it's men's opinions that matter to women. Most women, whether they realise it or not, aim to please/gain the respect of other woman...

Naefearjustbeer
16-Oct-06, 11:09
Remember though, some women cannot help being scrawny gits, that is the body type they were born with. Good thing most men see beyond looks, to true inner beauty.

I know that different people have different bodie types but numpties such as posh spice who has a starved malnutritioned look is an idiot and a very bad example for other women/girls to look up to. She in my opinion is not attractive(inner or outer beuty) in any way. Some folk are naturally slim but look and eat healthy. And as you say the inner person is the most important.

sassylass
16-Oct-06, 15:16
naefearjustbeer, it seems to be the differentiation between "scrawny" and "git" eh? ;)

Fluff
16-Oct-06, 18:20
I will tell you this though, its hard not to feel rubbish about yourself when going clothes shopping!
i went shopping for a new pair of jeans on sat. i eventully got a good pair from river island who have a great range for all shapes etc
but i had a look in H&M and Topshop, and the biggest waist size they had was 33"!!!!
disgusting

sweetpea
17-Oct-06, 09:45
I love the dove campaign, it's so refreshing. I think there has always been this think thin idea among women. If you go back to the 60's a lot of women took slimming pills which were amphetimine based and a lot of them became infertifle as a result, same in the 70's when you had thin actresses like Farah Fawcett and people like Twiggy. Then in the 90's we had 'heroin chic'.
I think people who starve themselves are suffering from some sort of distorted view of their bodies not helped by the media, so if others' would follow Dove then that would be good, like the Spanish catwalks banning anyone with a BMI under 18. I will agree that posh spice looks terrible especially if you compare photos of her now with ones from when she was a kid, not a lot of difference. In her defence I will say that I do think she has a great sense of style.