PDA

View Full Version : Electricity charges!

Liz
15-Oct-06, 13:14
I am shocked at how much my electricity bill has increased with Scottish Hydro even though consumption is the same.:eek:

I was wondering whether any of you have different providers and, if so, are they any cheaper?

I did change to Virgin a couple of years and athough initially they were cheaper they then increased their charges so I went back to the Hydro but not sure what to do now.

j4bberw0ck
15-Oct-06, 14:30
I changed to nPower for a £20 a month saving compared with Scottish Hydroelectric. Then they put their rates up. SWings and roundabouts.....

The last round of price increases was said to be because of wholesale gas prices hitting record highs. Since, gas prices have plummeted but I've seen no sign of nPower or anyone else falling over themselves to reduce electricity costs. We'll wait a while yet, I suspect. Now might be a good time to buy shares in energy companies as their profits will be rolling in nicely.....

In answer to your question you could look at the energy cost comparison websites like >>>this one<<< (http://www.uswitch.com/ppc/energy.htm?ref=gotoast%7Egoog%7Eenergy+comparisons&gclid=CNfMzK-Y-4cCFURBEgodiB-3Hg) .

Geo
15-Oct-06, 15:06
I recommend a read at http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/

The site owner keeps up to date on who is the cheapest provider to change to. Lots of other bargains to be had as well.

Liz
15-Oct-06, 17:25
Thanks both.
The problem is it seems that companies will give you a cheaper price to begin with and then after a while say that they have to increase their charges!

As you said j4bberwOk it is swings and roundabouts.:roll:

Geo the Moneysaving expert is really good and I suscribe to his newsletter which is really handy.

Bobinovich
15-Oct-06, 20:02
It's getting ridiculous - we're all electric and pay £150 a month to the Hydro! I'm seriously looking at some micro-renewable such as solar and/or wind 'cos the capital costs are coming down quite fast.

mareng
15-Oct-06, 20:23
I changed to nPower for a £20 a month saving compared with Scottish Hydroelectric. Then they put their rates up. SWings and roundabouts.....

The last round of price increases was said to be because of wholesale gas prices hitting record highs. Since, gas prices have plummeted but I've seen no sign of nPower or anyone else falling over themselves to reduce electricity costs. We'll wait a while yet, I suspect. Now might be a good time to buy shares in energy companies as their profits will be rolling in nicely.....

In answer to your question you could look at the energy cost comparison websites like >>>this one<<< (http://www.uswitch.com/ppc/energy.htm?ref=gotoast%7Egoog%7Eenergy+comparisons&gclid=CNfMzK-Y-4cCFURBEgodiB-3Hg) .

N-Power................ let me think.............RUN FAST, RUN FAR!

They are a bunch of bottom-feeding low-lifes!

(based on my own experience)

They got their business ethics from time-share salesmen.

You have been warned!

WeeBurd
15-Oct-06, 20:31
It's getting ridiculous - we're all electric and pay £150 a month to the Hydro! I'm seriously looking at some micro-renewable such as solar and/or wind 'cos the capital costs are coming down quite fast.

We peak at almost £40 a week in the winter :roll: for all electric with the Hydro, since moving to THTC. Not happy bunnies. :( Too many heaters in the livingroom... not enough in the bedrooms... OK, so we can have the house as hot as an oven if we want, but we'll need to sell everything to pay for it!

mareng
15-Oct-06, 20:44
I was "all electric" with a poor storage radiator system. It was worth taking a loan to install oil central heating, because it was impossible to save - while paying the electricity bills.

Bearing in mind the cost of kerosene at the time (15p/ltr) and a timber-frame bungalow............. in the dead of winter, with the heating on all day, the cost in oil was £1.00/day (plus small electricity bills, of course)

It must still be worthwhile going for mains gas (in the town) or oil (outwith the town)?

Bottled gas was no cheaper than peak rate electricity, don't suppose that has changed.

dragonfly
15-Oct-06, 20:57

We're not much better off, have gas central heating and gas hob and we are paying £130 month to Hydro, salesman must have been rubbing his hands with glee when we all signed over! Much more expensive than when we were with Scottish Power, must make a switch to someone else now!

Naefearjustbeer
15-Oct-06, 23:01
We were all electric about 5 years ago now we are oil. At the change over our house went from expensive to heat and always cold in the evening to warm all the time and a lot cheaper. However over the past year the price of oil has doubled and with 2 bairns now the heating is on more and the washing machine appears to be running all the time our electric and oil usage has fairly gone up. I dread to think what we pay every month :eek:

Buttercup
15-Oct-06, 23:55
I've Total Heating with Total Control and quite happy with it. Three bedroom up & down ~ £79 per month by DD from Hydro. :) Certainly don't skinmp on use of it + tumble dryer going regularly.
Mind you, it does make a difference being in an "up & down" compared to all on one level as far as heating costs go.

Tristan
16-Oct-06, 09:17
Try www.uswitch.com
Gives reviews of the companies and cost savings.

I have switched and when talking to one of the providers I chose they suggested finding the cheapest gas AND the cheapest electric as this is often cheaper than going dual fuel.
Interestingly the local provider for the area is often more expensive at what they are providing due to regulator laws. So the electricity provider here is the most expensive for electricity and the cheapest for gas.