PDA

View Full Version : Time Travel

Jeid
15-Oct-06, 01:07
Do you think the concept of time travel is possible? I'd really like to know what people think about time travel and its possibilities. Blether away if you have any thoughts on it. Is it possible? Is it impossible? Why?

Kenn
15-Oct-06, 01:23
Well if Einstein is to be believed then there are a series of pigeon holes that we can enter and that would mean that we can slip sideways,back and forwards in time.
I also seem to remember, scratches sawdust. that there is a theory that all things possible have to happen.
If that is true then a sort ot time travel might be possible, whether in the temporal world or the world of the mind I have no idea.(Waits for DrSzin to shoot me down in flames!")
Fred Hoyle.astronomer royal also seemed to expound this theory in several of his books..errr gBrims I can see ye'r hackles rising from here!
All I can say is that from things I have experienced. it is possible to have a link to the past but as to the future I reserve my judgement.

Metalattakk
15-Oct-06, 01:29
Whether it's possible or not is irrelevant. Simply put, we're nowhere near ready for it, either physically or mentally.

Lolabelle
15-Oct-06, 07:08
I don't know if it physically possible or not, but I certainly like the scope it gives me as a writer of childrens fiction. I have notes for a short story based around time travel, one for a future novel maybe. I would love to travel both forward a backward to have a look around, if they ever do work out a way.:D

Dreadnought
15-Oct-06, 10:38
More interesting to me would be a way to reverse time or even halt it, so you remain the same chosen age in the same chosen year...

I have a pet theory about time. I believe we travel through time backwards. Think of it as walking backwards along a street. You have a rough idea of what you are going to pass as you walk, but you do not know for certain until it comes into view as you pass it. It is the same with time, you have an idea of what may happen in the future, but do not know for certain until after it has happened.

Cazaa
15-Oct-06, 13:02
If you decide to make a time machine now, you would only be able to travel back to this point in time from a point in the future. In order to travel further back in time, someone in the past would have to have switched theirs on in the past in order for you to travel back to it.

Well, that's what I think.

flash
15-Oct-06, 13:09
If it had already been done, (or possible in the future) do you not think that someone would have taken the oppurtunity to travel backwards in time and undo the some of the more evil acts in history

Metalattakk
15-Oct-06, 13:12
Maybe they already have. How would you know? :lol:

flash
15-Oct-06, 13:21
Good point Met, but if someone could travel back in time and for instance stop the annahilation (scuse spelling) of the jews by Hitler, why not travel back to the mid thirtys and stop him before he came to power

Cazaa
15-Oct-06, 13:23
Why not travel back to stop his parents ever meeting (or their parents . . . . and so on)

This was all done so much better by Stephen Fry in Making History.

flash
15-Oct-06, 13:25
I suppose then we have the problem of what effect changing his actions would have on future generations

Dreadnought
15-Oct-06, 13:31
Maybe UFOs are time tourists whose cloaking went wrong...

Cazaa
15-Oct-06, 13:46
If Theoretical Physicists are to be believed, then the Universe, which started as a Big Bang is expanding. At some point it will start to contract and we will start to go backwards in time. However, as we will all be going backwards we won't notice it! Could we, perhaps, be going backwards in time right now?

Tiger Jones
15-Oct-06, 14:14
If Theoretical Physicists are to be believed, then the Universe, which started as a Big Bang is expanding. At some point it will start to contract and we will start to go backwards in time. However, as we will all be going backwards we won't notice it! Could we, perhaps, be going backwards in time right now?:D yroeht siht ni eveileb ton od ,eno rof ,I

j4bberw0ck
15-Oct-06, 14:21
we will start to go backwards in time. However, as we will all be going backwards we won't notice it!

That's not what I've understood through my fondness for books like "The Elegant Universe" and "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene, "The Fabric of Reality" by David Deutsch, and Stephen Hawking's various stabs at time in "A Brief History of Time".

For time to go backwards would mean entropy going into reverse, and order emerging spontaneously out of chaos. Water refreezing into an ice cube would be an example.

I claim no in-depth understanding of time or entropy or chaos - for a start, the maths is way over my head - but my understanding gets me as far as accepting that time flows in one direction only. I had to re-read the sections about time in "Fabric of the Cosmos" several times before I even thought I knew what Greene was talking about but at no point AFAIR was time said to be capable of going into reverse.

Happy to be corrected, as ever :cool: .

Gleber2
15-Oct-06, 15:49
Many metaphyisists believe that time is cyclic and therefore all time exists simultaneously. By going back, you can end up in the future or by going forward you can arrive at the past. It is my understanding, however, that time travel on the physical plane is impossible although travelling back along your own time-line in your own mental reality is believed to be possible and the Scientologists claim that they can. I have experienced this phenomenon to a slight degree but not enough to be fully convinced.
I have read more fiction on the subject of time travel than I can remember and can only come to the conclusion that it is impossible.

Jeid
15-Oct-06, 17:04
To a certain degree, I'd like to think time travel is possible. However, I don't believe it is.

If time travel was possible, then we'd know about it. Surely someone would come back in time from the future? This is where people usually say "but the future hasn't happened yet"

"True... so how are you expecting to travel into something that doesn't exist" is usually my reply.

If time travel was possible, surely history books would have to be re-written as people would probably travel back from the future to alter existence threatening events.

bluenose
15-Oct-06, 17:22
Time travel is theoretically possible. It would involve massive energies, possibly the energy contained within a universe. However, the total energy within a universe may be zero, again that is theoretical.
Create an (inaptly named) worm hole and transport that wherever you wish to go.Its not time travel as commonly thought but you could (theoretical) go to anywhere at any time AFTER the space-time continuum has been convuluted. Not into the future or back before that time.
However, there is another multiverse theory that if anyone went back in time they would create a separate universe by actually being there.
Personally I fail to see why anyone would like to go back in time.

crayola
15-Oct-06, 19:38
Of course time travel is possible. Does no-one watch Dr Who? :)

BMcGillivray
16-Oct-06, 13:32
If you decide to make a time machine now, you would only be able to travel back to this point in time from a point in the future. In order to travel further back in time, someone in the past would have to have switched theirs on in the past in order for you to travel back to it.

Well, that's what I think.

There are scientists out there working on exactly that.

I believe time travel is possible "in a way"... i dont believe we could travel back further than the first time machines creation, so we couldn't go back and stop Hitler.

The problem is, that there is no way of knowing what will come through when the machine is turned on for the first time... some future evil sending a nuclear bomb back in time to destroy the progress of time travel? Who knows... im pretty sure i saw a documentary of some kind on TV.. about some experiment going on over in America, where they have created a basic theoretical time machine that can recieve small amounts of matter from the future... and have got various particles coming through it.

I dont know how that machine works for travel to the future, but didn't Einstein say that the faster a vehicle goes, say approaching the speed of light, but of course never managing to reach it, then time changes, would speed up, and everything you would see around you would be distorted and stretched?

pultneytooner
16-Oct-06, 13:45
If time travel was possible, then we'd know about it. Surely someone would come back in time from the future? This is where people usually say "but the future hasn't happened yet"

They already have if you look at this website:
http://www.johntitor.com/

brandy
16-Oct-06, 14:16
im surprised no one has mentioned paradoxes..
even if we can go back in time.. even the slightest change can be catastrophic in the longrun
did anyone watch the finale of eureka?
had a really cool tilt on the time line theory!
if you think about it .. in our individual lives .. every single choice we make..impacts the rest of our lives.
just turning on your pc in the morning can have a major impact of your whole existance!
its amazing how the small mundane things change the world we live in.
how a single person you meet and speak to for 5 min can change the whole way you look at life. and color every choice and thing you do.. from then on.

thinking on that note..
if travelers were to travel in time. everything they did and said would have to be very carefully monitered..
as the slightest mishap could change the world in unreconisable ways.
and until it actually happened no one would know the outcome and then it would be too late.

not saying that it is not possible .. just saying it is very dangerous..
and would be a huge responsibilty and would be policed very carfully. just think if it fell in the wrong hands or even clumsy hands?

j4bberw0ck
16-Oct-06, 15:39
They already have if you look at this website:
http://www.johntitor.com/

Isn't it amazing that a time traveller, who knows the "future history" of the place where he is, and does any damage there might be to be done in terms of paradoxes and synchronicity by saying he's a time traveller, doesn't do the one thing which would prove his case - giving accurate details, facts and figures?

Vague generalisations are all that are on offer. So it's just another internet joke. Fred and sjwahwah would have loved it, though. :lol:

pultneytooner
16-Oct-06, 17:13
Isn't it amazing that a time traveller, who knows the "future history" of the place where he is, and does any damage there might be to be done in terms of paradoxes and synchronicity by saying he's a time traveller, doesn't do the one thing which would prove his case - giving accurate details, facts and figures?

Vague generalisations are all that are on offer. So it's just another internet joke. Fred and sjwahwah would have loved it, though. :lol:
Interesting to see they have a book for sale, you think he'd come back looking for his cut.
Fantastic yarn though.[lol]

Jeid
16-Oct-06, 17:24
Maybe in the future, he already had his cut.