PDA

View Full Version : Folk Music

Bertieboy
14-Oct-11, 20:00
Does Anyone know of any folk singing around here?

linnie612
14-Oct-11, 23:29
Yes, but they've been told to keep the noise down

Bertieboy
15-Oct-11, 07:59
Ah, yes I understand..... but where do they do it?

Torvaig
15-Oct-11, 11:20
Ah, yes I understand..... but where do they do it?

Have you tried the Blackstairs Lounge in Wick? They put on music of different genres so worth a look. I'm sure they will tell you where it can be heard elsewhere in Wick (if there are any).

There are places in Thurso which also have live music on the go. You can usually see what's on, on posters around town or here on the org.

The Commercial on Princes Street on a Wednesday night has good music and you can take your own instrument with you and join in if you wish. Then there is another bar next to the Royal Hotel which also caters for live music. There is also a bar in the precinct whose name eludes me just now, it also caters for live music of different kinds.

Then there is the Lyth Arts Centre where there was an excellent singer/player not that long ago. Ewan McLennan, a beautiful singer/songwriter/guitarist who entertained us all night on his own.

Then there is the "Entertainments" page of the org., more info there.

Bazeye
15-Oct-11, 18:41
Then there is another bar next to the Royal Hotel which also caters for live music. There is also a bar in the precinct whose name eludes me just now, it also caters for live music of different kinds.

The Newmarket and the Grove Lounge/Y not.

one vision
15-Oct-11, 18:47
i ye get alot o folk singing round here especially in e camps wen er drunk and e odd few walkin hom fae e pub sounds terrible tho lol

The Pepsi Challenge
17-Oct-11, 01:13
In the context of traditional folk music, there is virtually none to speak of in Caithness.

stumpy
17-Oct-11, 07:53
As Torvaig's already pointed out,there's a session in the Comm every Wednesday.The last time I was home,most of Clapshot were playing,along with Dod Pain and a number of folk that an owld mannie like me didn't recognise.The playing and singing was tremendous,the place was mobbed and there was a great atmosphere.Doesn't sound like a non-existent scene to me.

The Pepsi Challenge
17-Oct-11, 12:13
As Torvaig's already pointed out,there's a session in the Comm every Wednesday.The last time I was home,most of Clapshot were playing,along with Dod Pain and a number of folk that an owld mannie like me didn't recognise.The playing and singing was tremendous,the place was mobbed and there was a great atmosphere.Doesn't sound like a non-existent scene to me.

If a once-a-week session is tantamount to a folk scene, stumpy, then you deserve a job in PR.

Torvaig
17-Oct-11, 12:34
If a once-a-week session is tantamount to a folk scene, stumpy, then you deserve a job in PR.

Pepsi, why do you sneer so much at Caithness folks?

Does leaving Caithness to live elsewhere make you immune to any feelings for your homeland? I don't know if you are from Caithness but from some of your posts methinks you originated here.

Years ago, people who moved away from a remote place did feel they were different at first and maybe looked down on the locals/yokels for the first few visits back being carried away with the false sense of importance that moving away gave them.

Most learned sense.

Anyway, from my experience, people involved in folk music usually get together with like-minded friends in their homes as not everyone likes the pub scene. I've been at many a session at someone's home; not always arranged but someone visits with their guitar and the inevitable happens! Soon you have a array of players and instruments; tin whistle; bodhran; fiddle and if there is a piano in the house someone usually can give it laldy!

Maybe you'll get invited someday Pepsi......... if you're nice which I'm sure you are most of the time! Just switch off the journalistic disdain!

sids
17-Oct-11, 13:23

If you expect any genre of entertainment to be on more than once a week, you should live in a big town or city. Oh you do.

Saveman
17-Oct-11, 13:37
I'd have to agree with Pepsi on this one. A short visit to Orkney will show that a small population can have a thriving folk scene.

golach
17-Oct-11, 13:46
I'd have to agree with Pepsi on this one. A short visit to Orkney will show that a small population can have a thriving folk scene.
I usually listen to your wise words Savey, but IMO this time your talking through a hole in your head, Orkney has a population of approx 20110, Thurso has approx 9000 persons, no comparison.

Saveman
17-Oct-11, 13:51
I usually listen to your wise words Savey, but IMO this time your talking through a hole in your head, Orkney has a population of approx 20110, Thurso has approx 9000 persons, no comparison.

You're right, I am talking through a hole in my head. ;) Pepsi said "In the context of traditional folk music, there is virtually none to speak of in Caithness."
Caithness being the operative word.

sids
17-Oct-11, 13:51

We need more incomers!

golach
17-Oct-11, 13:53
We need more incomers!

But no Orcadians pleeeeze, orkneycadian is enough for anyone.

davem
17-Oct-11, 14:00
The scene here exists but it is on a smaller scale. its more than just population with Orkney though, Kirkwall had three music shops open last time i looked. There are a fantastic number of musicians per head of population in Caithness but that steps up even more in Orkney.

sids
17-Oct-11, 14:03
But no Orcadians pleeeeze, orkneycadian is enough for anyone.

Even if they can play folk music?

gleeber
17-Oct-11, 14:31
Welcome back Pepsi. The org has a pepsi shaped hole in its head and it's always better when its fill. :lol:
I have to admit the first time ive heard folk music in thurso was last wednesday night when I was walking past the comm. Almost felt like going in.

stumpy
17-Oct-11, 15:43
It's easy to sneer but more difficult to be constructive.What,in your humble opinion,Pepsi,constitutes a scene? Even a place the size of Edinburgh can only(only?) sustain two regular folk clubs and a few regular sessions.Do you criticise, or do you take into account the consistent hard work of volunteers who run these things?Look at the huge effort put in by all those who,over the years,kept first Thurso Folk Club and Festival going,then Wildcat.Clubs and festivals run their course until they're halted by a changing music scene,or an economic downturn, or sheer exhaustion,Thurso being no different.Often something else takes their place:the Comm session springs to mind.As far as Bertieboy's original post goes,The Comm's the place to start.and as Torvaig says,might lead to other contacts and chances to play or hear music.If that's not up to your exacting standards,maybe that's your problem.

sids
17-Oct-11, 18:12
Did the Pepsi guy really flounce all the way to Edinburgh because of lack of a Thurso folk scene?

The Pepsi Challenge
18-Oct-11, 09:15
If you expect any genre of entertainment to be on more than once a week, you should live in a big town or city. Oh you do.

I live in a small, provincial town in the Borders.

golach
18-Oct-11, 09:17
I live in a small, provincial town in the Borders.

Tell them its Hawick.

The Pepsi Challenge
18-Oct-11, 09:19

In 2001, Caithness had a population of 23866. It may be a little less than that today, perhaps.

The Pepsi Challenge
18-Oct-11, 09:21
Tell them its Hawick.

Would you like to tell everyone my date of birth and bank details, too, golach?

golach
18-Oct-11, 09:28
Would you like to tell everyone my date of birth and bank details, too, golach?

you used to proudly display that fact of where you stayed in your profile until recently

The Pepsi Challenge
18-Oct-11, 09:29
It's easy to sneer but more difficult to be constructive.What,in your humble opinion,Pepsi,constitutes a scene? Even a place the size of Edinburgh can only(only?) sustain two regular folk clubs and a few regular sessions.Do you criticise, or do you take into account the consistent hard work of volunteers who run these things?Look at the huge effort put in by all those who,over the years,kept first Thurso Folk Club and Festival going,then Wildcat.Clubs and festivals run their course until they're halted by a changing music scene,or an economic downturn, or sheer exhaustion,Thurso being no different.Often something else takes their place:the Comm session springs to mind.As far as Bertieboy's original post goes,The Comm's the place to start.and as Torvaig says,might lead to other contacts and chances to play or hear music.If that's not up to your exacting standards,maybe that's your problem.

I'm not talking about the past; I'm talking about the present.

Orkney, to use a good, geographically-close example, has also suffered from an economic downturn; however, for a place with a similar population to Caithness, they not only boast one of the best folk festivals around, they consistently produce a high number of folk musicians, many of which are highly notable. Their sessions are more regular, too, and visiting folk artists regularly play there.

I'm glad the folk session still runs in the Comm, but as I said, it takes more than a weekly session to constitute a folk scene.

The Pepsi Challenge
18-Oct-11, 09:35
you used to proudly display that fact of where you stayed in your profile until recently

I didn't know location (on this forum) necessarily meant one's fixed abode. Sometimes, 'Location' means which particular place you're at; at that particular moment. Incidentally, it's wise to know you keep a firm grip on your magnifying glass, Sherlock.

The Pepsi Challenge
18-Oct-11, 09:46
Pepsi, why do you sneer so much at Caithness folks?

Does leaving Caithness to live elsewhere make you immune to any feelings for your homeland? I don't know if you are from Caithness but from some of your posts methinks you originated here.

Years ago, people who moved away from a remote place did feel they were different at first and maybe looked down on the locals/yokels for the first few visits back being carried away with the false sense of importance that moving away gave them.

Most learned sense.

Anyway, from my experience, people involved in folk music usually get together with like-minded friends in their homes as not everyone likes the pub scene. I've been at many a session at someone's home; not always arranged but someone visits with their guitar and the inevitable happens! Soon you have a array of players and instruments; tin whistle; bodhran; fiddle and if there is a piano in the house someone usually can give it laldy!

Maybe you'll get invited someday Pepsi......... if you're nice which I'm sure you are most of the time! Just switch off the journalistic disdain!

I have no idea if stumpy is from Caithness or not. In any case, I wasn't sneering; I was admiring stumpy's positivity.

The locals/ yokels you speak of happen to be my family and friends. I certainly don't look down on any of them, or anyone else who happens to live in the county. I don't consider myself too different from anyone who resides there, either. Jock Tamson's Bairns an a' that.

Anyway, Bertieboy wanted to know if there was any folk singing going on around here. I made an assumption that he wasn't referring to people who got together in each other's houses to sing and play.

Good point about the pub scene, though. In Hawick, those who like to play in sessions but who don't wish to be surrounded by alcohol, can do so at the Heart of Hawick - a cafe/ cinema/ theatre venue. The upper section of the Top Joes cafe would be an ideal place, no?

The Pepsi Challenge
18-Oct-11, 09:47
Did the Pepsi guy really flounce all the way to Edinburgh because of lack of a Thurso folk scene?

(Wonders if serious[?] but...) Er, no.

Bertieboy
18-Oct-11, 18:12
Hi, i like to make friends, especialy if it's to do with Folk Music. I just like the genre.
Let me know,,,, Please.....
Thurso is too far to go for me.

Kevin Milkins
18-Oct-11, 20:39
Hi Bertieboy

I'm sure there are many like minded people that enjoy a get together and a sing-song, but it may take a bit of encouragement to winkle them out to a meet.

There are plenty off good pubs in Wick that would be delighted to have folk scene to help boost trade and if you want to get together I can blast out a few Max Boyce numbers.:eek:

Metalattakk
19-Oct-11, 04:43

No, I'm reliably informed (by some of his peers, no less) that he left Caithness because of a lack of a completely different 'scene' altogether.

sids
19-Oct-11, 13:26
No, I'm reliably informed (by some of his peers, no less) that he left Caithness because of a lack of a completely different 'scene' altogether.

Ah- Hawick. Rugby scene.

Anyway, if there was a good folk scene here, I'd give it a wide berth.

mi16
19-Oct-11, 13:42

You are not comapring apples with apples there Golach, Thurso is a town Orkney is an entire island.
Caithness has an approximate population of 25000 which is considerably more than Orkney

golach
19-Oct-11, 15:58
You are not comapring apples with apples there Golach, Thurso is a town Orkney is an entire island.
Caithness has an approximate population of 25000 which is considerably more than Orkney
I was having a bit of fun with an respected and pal of a few years standing Saveman, nothing more, and he replied in a similar vein, so you can pull your horns back in [disgust]

Saveman
19-Oct-11, 16:58
I was having a bit of fun with an respected and old pal Saveman, nothing more, and he replied in a similar vein, so you can pull your horns back in [disgust]

I'm happy with the "respected" not so happy with the "old" ;)

The Pepsi Challenge
20-Oct-11, 03:30

They'd be right - the music scene in Edinburgh is indeed a good one for listening to new and interesting bands.

Speaking of folk music and balding guitarists, how's your own playing these days?

sids
20-Oct-11, 10:18
Does some called "Metalattakk" play Michael Row the Boat Ashore with his finger in his ear?

Hee hee!

Metalattakk
20-Oct-11, 17:04
They'd be right - the music scene in Edinburgh is indeed a good one for listening to new and interesting bands.

Speaking of folk music and balding guitarists, how's your own playing these days?

Less and less time for it these days, I'm afraid. Could be quite interested in the folk side of things to be fair, always had a soft spot for Jethro Tull. Would need an arran jumper though, eh?

Does some called "Metalattakk" play Michael Row the Boat Ashore with his finger in his ear?

Hee hee!

Oi! Mary Hopkins numbers only!

Invisible
21-Oct-11, 11:45
Folk singing is great.........in my opinion and The McCalmans are a big inspiration of mine.

Bertie are you looking to partake or observe?

I have been looking for a folk based band to join whether to sing or play guitar...........if anyone is interested p.m me.

sids
24-Oct-11, 21:58
Oi! Mary Hopkins numbers only!

Would you not do Judith Durham?

Metalattakk
25-Oct-11, 00:57
Would you not do Judith Durham?

I'm a happily married man, I'll have you know. . . [lol]

The Pepsi Challenge
26-Oct-11, 21:42
Less and less time for it these days, I'm afraid. Could be quite interested in the folk side of things to be fair, always had a soft spot for Jethro Tull. Would need an arran jumper though, eh?

Arran jumpers are pretty much a thing of the past - if today's folk scene is anything to go by. By the way, we're up playing a few gigs next week. Take a guitar down and an amp if you fancy sittin' in? We'll be playing a few tunes that would sound great with some decent guitar solos on them.

Metalattakk
27-Oct-11, 03:33
Far aboots ye playin', and..er...fit's yer band's name again?

:D

WeeRob
27-Oct-11, 17:42
Never like agreeing with Pepsi but I'd probably back the bulk of what he's said in this thread..

The Orkney example has some problems, though: I'd say Orkney has weathered the economic downturn better than Caithness but that's just me. Intriguingly, Orkney apparently suffers from a Stromness / Kirkwall divide which of course has absolutely no parallel in Caithness....................

;-)