PDA

View Full Version : Subsea7

bekisman
14-Oct-11, 19:29
Might be a stupid question, but many times seen those big yellow pipes coming through Wick and also the miles of pipe welded(?) in great lengths, what happens then? are they partially flooded and towed out to a rig or something?

Moira
14-Oct-11, 20:12
I don't know anything about the technicalities of the operation Bekisman but a quick Google search came up with this:-
http://www.investcaithness.com/news/archive/wester-pipeline-launch-going-to-plan

Maybe a search on Subsea 7's own website would answer your questions. Wullie Watt is the Manager at the Wester Site. :)

Angel
14-Oct-11, 21:24
When the pipes are ready for the customer they are towed out to sea using tugs... as the 'pipes' have attachements that look like submarine towers the road is lifted to allow for them to pass... I made a video of this one windy day to show my friends who were interested...
Hope this helps...

Angel...

bekisman
14-Oct-11, 21:50
Thanks for the info above - all sorted now. It was just that we had a friend from the South staying and theyasked what 'those big yellow pipes are', so did a quick question here, and it's all answered.. great.. I'll tell 'em