PDA

View Full Version : Warning about BT Yahoo webmail

badger
14-Oct-11, 12:58
This should probably be in the Techy section but wanted to make sure it's seen. I've been talking to BT recently about various issues with their webmail, which has always had a few problems, as I thought if they can't sort out the existing versions what hope is there for the upgrade they have been emailing us about and telling us how wonderful it is.

Seems I was right as the helpdesk this morning warned me not to upgrade. Sounds as if the whole thing is in meltdown. I asked if they would be warning people and they said emails would go out but I haven't had one yet so be warned - don't do the upgrade :eek: .

RecQuery
14-Oct-11, 17:26
This should probably be in the Techy section but wanted to make sure it's seen. I've been talking to BT recently about various issues with their webmail, which has always had a few problems, as I thought if they can't sort out the existing versions what hope is there for the upgrade they have been emailing us about and telling us how wonderful it is.

Seems I was right as the helpdesk this morning warned me not to upgrade. Sounds as if the whole thing is in meltdown. I asked if they would be warning people and they said emails would go out but I haven't had one yet so be warned - don't do the upgrade :eek: .

As anyone who has ever worked for the corporate or business side of BT and hasn't become a company man/woman will tell you: "BT suck, especially when it comes to e-mail and DNS". There's always an outage and the servers aren't configured properly. Seriously migrate your e-mail somewhere else there are better solutions out there, lots of which are free.

Now if they're treating their corporate and business customers like that, imagine how they treat the average consumer.

weezer 316
14-Oct-11, 18:02
ahem.....bt's consumer platform is run by yahoo. Only the business and corprate stuff is inhouse.

secrets in symmetry
14-Oct-11, 23:54
Can someone explain what the problem is?

I use regular Yahoo webmail, I don't have any problems with it, and I prefer it to some other popular webmails. If BT Yahoo webmail for domestic customers is just a repackaged Yahoo webmail, what exactly is the problem?

secrets in symmetry
15-Oct-11, 13:49
I think I must have thrown an exception before I posted last night. Perhaps I can answer part of my own question....

I don't know how BT Yahoo webmail works, but I suppose your mail is stored on BT servers, so the setup is very different from pure Yahoo mail.

I still don't know what the problem is, and, in particular, I don't understand what the problem with the upgrade is.

badger
15-Oct-11, 14:45
I don't know what the problem with the upgrade is exactly because I decided not to do it until I had to. There are enough problems with existing versions for me not to trust it. It was BT's own helpdesk who told me not to do it as they appeared suddenly to have found a problem. However I am beginning to wonder as after all the emails telling me to upgrade, I have yet to receive one telling me not to. Maybe he was a rogue techy, who knows? Certainly no-one I have spoken to seemed to know much about it. But then it's quite hard to get anyone who knows much about current versions. The switchboard was so busy yesterday I gave up after about half an hour.

Buttercup
16-Oct-11, 00:56
:confused Been with BT for years and haven't experienced any problems with my email (well none that I know of anyway), nor have I had emails asking me to upgrade. Ahh! :Razz maybe
THAT'S the "problem"!

badger
16-Oct-11, 18:52
:confused Been with BT for years and haven't experienced any problems with my email (well none that I know of anyway), nor have I had emails asking me to upgrade. Ahh! :Razz maybe
THAT'S the "problem"!

It's BT yahoo mail that's promising this wonderful, or not, upgrade. All very odd as the upgrade link is still on the webmail site and I've had nothing warning me not to. Do they know what they're doing? Silly question.