PDA

View Full Version : Bags of fuel peat in Wick?

roadbowler
14-Oct-11, 10:40
Can anyone tell me where in Wick they sell bags of fuel peat and how much?

Fran
14-Oct-11, 11:53
You can get bags of peat on the road to Latheron just past spittal

badger
14-Oct-11, 12:53
It's hard to believe that at a time when all governments are positively hysterical about reducing CO2 emissions they still allow peat to be dug up in quantities and burned.
"Scottish peat bogs hold three-quarters of all the carbon in British ecosystems – equivalent to around a century of emissions from fossil fuel burning." (from a Guardian article)

sids
14-Oct-11, 14:50
(from a Guardian article)

Quelle surprise!

badger
14-Oct-11, 15:31
Quelle surprise!

If that means you don't believe it because it's the Guardian and they are usually pro-green, this particular article is objecting to windfarms being built on peat which is hardly toeing their party line. Similar protests about destroying peat can be found all over the place.

roadbowler
14-Oct-11, 15:36
It's hard to believe that at a time when all governments are positively hysterical about reducing CO2 emissions they still allow peat to be dug up in quantities and burned.
"Scottish peat bogs hold three-quarters of all the carbon in British ecosystems – equivalent to around a century of emissions from fossil fuel burning." (from a Guardian article)

Barring the fact that I don't buy the agw/CO2 myth, local renewable fuel such as peat in itself is not the evil, it is how it is now so inefficiently used by humans these days that is the evil. What would you consider the most sustainable fuel available in Caithness?

@Fran and those who've pm'd - Cheers!

Neil Howie
14-Oct-11, 21:21
Technically burning peat is carbon neutral, you just have to wait for a very very very long time for it to be replaced....

secrets in symmetry
14-Oct-11, 23:51
Barring the fact that I don't buy the agw/CO2 mythLol! We have a third founder member of the Bekisman-Little tendency of those that don't believe in AGW because they don't understand it. Does this one post links to plausible (to the uneducated) rubbish written by idiots with letters after their names?

roadbowler
15-Oct-11, 10:15
Lol! We have a third founder member of the Bekisman-Little tendency of those that don't believe in AGW because they don't understand it. Does this one post links to plausible (to the uneducated) rubbish written by idiots with letters after their names?

I'm relieved you understand what I apparently don't and obviously feel so irrationally threatened by an opposing view to your belief system you feel inclined to comment as you do. A perceived attack on your belief system is not actually an attack on you so, calm down and start your own thread if you want to argue about agw.

Or, do you by chance know where one can acquire a bag of peat in Wick??

secrets in symmetry
15-Oct-11, 13:17
I suppose I should have anticipated a deluded paranoid response from you. I'll explain in it simple childlike terms that you might understand.

Climate change due to AGW is not a belief system. It is the conclusion of many decades of careful scientific research. I realise that your lack of education, particularly in science, is a severe hindrance to your understanding, but you really should try.

My post is very relevant to this thread. By burning peat, and by disturbing the peaty hillside, you release far more CO2 into the atmosphere than you need to. You shouldn't be burning peat at all.

Neil Howie is of course correct, but the planet would be fried long before the cycle is completed.

Here is an analogy for you....

On another thread you might say you want to shoot infidel Apple users, and you ask where you can buy a gun in Wick. I tell you that you shouldn't shoot Apple users. You agree.

Do you get it now?

Ok, perhaps the morals of your native land would condone owning a gun, and perhaps even shooting Apple users if you happened to be born a hick in the sticks near that blown up St Helens thing.

roadbowler
15-Oct-11, 14:19
gee, secrets, can't decide whether to starve you or suggest counseling, either way, I wish you good luck on your mission! :-)

secrets in symmetry
15-Oct-11, 14:20
You didn't write any more because you can't write any more. You can't distinguish your lack of knowledge and understanding from serious science. Your delusion is complete.

Do you want to shoot Apple users though?

badger
15-Oct-11, 14:40
Barring the fact that I don't buy the agw/CO2 myth, local renewable fuel such as peat in itself is not the evil, it is how it is now so inefficiently used by humans these days that is the evil. What would you consider the most sustainable fuel available in Caithness?

I hardly dare re-enter this thread when we have such awe-inspiring people as "secrets" to lecture us. However reluctantly I have to agree with him/her on one thing and that is that it's the digging up of peat that does the harm because that's what releases CO2. All peatlands should be preserved as much as possible.

I don't think there is any ideal source of energy, they all have their problems. Wood maybe? There is plenty of wood and it's fairly easily replaced. Add a few jumpers. I never sit down without a blanket round my knees! No easy answers, just not peat.

secrets in symmetry
15-Oct-11, 18:20
I hardly dare re-enter this thread when we have such awe-inspiring people as "secrets" to lecture us. However reluctantly I have to agree with him/her on one thing and that is that it's the digging up of peat that does the harm because that's what releases CO2. All peatlands should be preserved as much as possible.
Thank you badger. It's nice to be called awe-inspiring. :cool:

I won't jump on anyone unless they write mindless drivel like some members do.

bekisman
15-Oct-11, 18:26
Lol! We have a third founder member of the Bekisman-Little tendency of those that don't believe in AGW because they don't understand it. Does this one post links to plausible (to the uneducated) rubbish written by idiots with letters after their names?Oh dear the boy is jealous, OK so I have letters behind my name and so has John, do you?

Neil Howie
15-Oct-11, 20:45
Well, at the risk of offending those people who love the Flow Country, and I do admit it has its moments, I would love to see most of Caithness covered in trees (again).

1. Carbon neutral source of heating and
2. would provide jobs in the local economy.

There are probably some good reasons against, but I'm putting my feet firmly in the "For" camp.

Corrie 3
15-Oct-11, 21:19
You can get bags of peat on the road to Latheron just past spittal
Well done Fran, yours is the only post in this thread that answers the OP's question!!!
All the others are way off topic and shame on you all for blatant thread drift!!!

C3...............:roll::roll:

secrets in symmetry
15-Oct-11, 21:30
Well, at the risk of offending those people who love the Flow Country, and I do admit it has its moments, I would love to see most of Caithness covered in trees (again).

There are probably some good reasons against, but I'm putting my feet firmly in the "For" camp.I'm with you.

They would have to be native (or near native) deciduous woods though. We don't want dense quick growing pine crap.

Duncansby
17-Oct-11, 00:22
Haven't you just contradicted yourself? I'm assuming you mean with the exception of areas of peatland unless we want to revisit the disasterous policy that the NCC inflicted on the Flow Country.

secrets in symmetry
17-Oct-11, 00:29
I am speaking of native deciduous woodland of the sort that is all too rare in the north nowadays. Scots Pine forest would be ok, but not the inferior quick growing crap that has blighted our hillsides for 50 years or more.

Duncansby
17-Oct-11, 00:37
but not planted on peatland?

secrets in symmetry
17-Oct-11, 00:42
Planted anywhere.

Is there a particular problem with planting on Peatland? I was assuming you can do it without releasing too much CO2, is that not right?

I think you're getting at something that eludes me. Who or what are (or were) NCC? Are we speaking of the '80s forestation?

Sorry for being dumb - if that's what I am being....

Duncansby
17-Oct-11, 01:07
Sorry I wasn't meaning to be difficult and your not being dumb!

The NCC were the Nature Conservancy Council (became SNH in 1991) and yes I was thinking of the 80s forestation.

Planting on blanket bog would reduce the amount of water available and lead to the peat to resume decomposition and release CO2. Peat also stores more CO2 than live vegetation by area.

ducati
17-Oct-11, 07:52

There are probably some good reasons against, but I'm putting my feet firmly in the "For" camp.

Ah now Neil, you need to do your research if you are going to enter a highbrow thread like this one. One of the fundamental features of Caithness landscape which make it (almost) unique in the whole of the UK, is it never was covered in trees. This makes the particular kind of peat unique and all the more precious. :D

riggerboy
17-Oct-11, 08:44

hi i get mine from the bloke in halkirk, he delivers them for free, 10 bags for £40, a really good buy, the come pretty much ready to use and give off a lovely smell lol, they also do jams and fruits,

Caithness Summer Fruits
01847 831232

Neil Howie
17-Oct-11, 22:04
Ducati:

One of the fundamental features of Caithness landscape which make it (almost) unique in the whole of the UK, is it never was covered in trees. This makes the particular kind of peat unique and all the more precious

Ahh maybe I got carried away with my rhetoric and agenda for change! Over-egged the tree pudding. In my defense good sir, I used my memory of geography lessons from 20 years ago, and .. the internet for research. (Could explain a lot of my problems...)

This is more remarkable, as the county would seem at one period , to have been almost a complete forest. It contains a vast deal of moor or peat-moss, the well-known product of decayed vegetable matter; and, in cutting for fuel, trunks of birch, pine, hazel, and other trees have been very frequently found with the bark quite entire. Some of the roots seem charred with fire, and appearance which gives countenance to the tradition that the woods were burnt down for the purpose of expelling the wolves and other wild animals with which the county was anciently infested.Caithness (http://www.caithness.org/history/historyofcaithness/chapter1/pageone.htm)

But yes its a quote that is over a hundred years old and possibly inaccurate, maybe I went too far....

But on the positive side in composing my reply I found a great website about Caithness :

Landforms (http://www.landforms.eu/Caithness/index.htm)

and also, a quote that conjures up images of underwater forests, from the same site as quoted earlier, Caithness (http://www.caithness.org/history/historyofcaithness/chapter1/pageone.htm)

“But the most remarkable evidence of ancient woods in Caithness, “ says the author of the New Statistical Account of Wick, “ is found in the Bay of Keiss. Between the links and the sand, and running down under the sea, are found the remains of a submarine forest. These are, like peat-moss, entirely composed of decayed wood. The barks of various kinds of trees are quite discernible, and even the seeds of birch and ash are so well preserved as to appear but lately taken from the tree”

secrets in symmetry
17-Oct-11, 23:09
Sorry I wasn't meaning to be difficult and your not being dumb!

The NCC were the Nature Conservancy Council (became SNH in 1991) and yes I was thinking of the 80s forestation.

Planting on blanket bog would reduce the amount of water available and lead to the peat to resume decomposition and release CO2. Peat also stores more CO2 than live vegetation by area.Ah, yes, it's the water thing. I'd heard that before, but I wasn't 100% sure it was correct.

Can you give a link to some reading material?

ducati
18-Oct-11, 06:19
Ducati:

Ahh maybe I got carried away with my rhetoric and agenda for change! Over-egged the tree pudding. In my defense good sir, I used my memory of geography lessons from 20 years ago, and .. the internet for research. (Could explain a lot of my problems...)

Caithness (http://www.caithness.org/history/historyofcaithness/chapter1/pageone.htm)

But yes its a quote that is over a hundred years old and possibly inaccurate, maybe I went too far....

But on the positive side in composing my reply I found a great website about Caithness :

Landforms (http://www.landforms.eu/Caithness/index.htm)

and also, a quote that conjures up images of underwater forests, from the same site as quoted earlier, Caithness (http://www.caithness.org/history/historyofcaithness/chapter1/pageone.htm)

Well I referenced something I might have half heard some considerable time ago. I still think it is right though! :lol:

roadbowler
18-Oct-11, 11:53
hi i get mine from the bloke in halkirk, he delivers them for free, 10 bags for £40, a really good buy, the come pretty much ready to use and give off a lovely smell lol, they also do jams and fruits, Caithness Summer Fruits01847 831232 cheers for your helpful reply riggerboy! Have some sorted now.@badger yes, i agree with what you suggest about wood this is what I normally use, however, cannot be gotten at the moment by my usual way, all other ways to procure it are too expensive so, will use a mix of wood and peat till my normal source of wood is available again. Peat is local, long term renewable and uses less fuel for transport and processing of (especially if you were to cut it yourself) so therefore, it can be said to be a sustainable fuel source in this largely treeless county. It is probably debatable how peats efficiency/energy density compares by volume to wood as a fuel, although, from what I've read it is comparable to hardwood but, it is largely softwoods available here and quality of the peat varies so, it will be a case of the proofs in the pudding. I know how much wood I use on an average winters day so, will be interesting to see how peat compares.

Duncansby
18-Oct-11, 17:03
Ah, yes, it's the water thing. I'd heard that before, but I wasn't 100% sure it was correct.

Can you give a link to some reading material?

Sure can, hope you find these interesting:

SNH have a lot of useful stuff on their website - there is info here about carbon storage in peatlands v forests: http://www.snh.gov.uk/land-and-sea/managing-the-land/forestry-and-woodlands/climate-and-woodlands/

Natural England have a paper on peatlands and carbon storage here: http://naturalengland.etraderstores.com/NaturalEnglandShop/NE257. They explain on page 24 why mature woodlands store less CO2 than blanket bog.

The Habitat Action Plan for blanket bogs gives a good overview of the threats to, and importance of, peatlands: http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20110303145213/http://ukbap.org.uk/UKPlans.aspx?ID=21

You can also view site management statements for all the SSSI's in Scotland on the SNH Sitelink (http://gateway.snh.gov.uk/sitelink/siteinfo.jsp?pa_code=651) page. Here's the one for Forsinard Bogs: http://gateway.snh.gov.uk/sitelink/documentview.jsp?p_pa_code=651&p_Doc_Type_ID=3

Birons
18-Oct-11, 20:13

We will be stockist of 20KG (approx) bags of peat soon.

I will post the price when they come into stock.

www.birons.co.uk (http://www.birons.co.uk)

orkneycadian
18-Oct-11, 21:23
Just nip out and cut some fae a peat bank! Mind you, maybe getting a bit late in the year to get it dried now!

secrets in symmetry
18-Oct-11, 22:25
Peat is local, long term renewable and uses less fuel for transport and processing of (especially if you were to cut it yourself) so therefore, it can be said to be a sustainable fuel source in this largely treeless county.Why don't you take your head out of the sand and admit that burning peat is very environmentally unsound? What hope is there for humanity when someone who claims to live naturally doesn't understand the damage she is doing? Your arrogant ignorance makes you guilty of capital ecological vandalism!

BTW oil, coal and gas are sustainable if I use your criteria!

secrets in symmetry
18-Oct-11, 22:27
Sure can, hope you find these interesting:

SNH have a lot of useful stuff on their website - there is info here about carbon storage in peatlands v forests: http://www.snh.gov.uk/land-and-sea/managing-the-land/forestry-and-woodlands/climate-and-woodlands/

Natural England have a paper on peatlands and carbon storage here: http://naturalengland.etraderstores.com/NaturalEnglandShop/NE257. They explain on page 24 why mature woodlands store less CO2 than blanket bog.

The Habitat Action Plan for blanket bogs gives a good overview of the threats to, and importance of, peatlands: http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20110303145213/http://ukbap.org.uk/UKPlans.aspx?ID=21

You can also view site management statements for all the SSSI's in Scotland on the SNH Sitelink (http://gateway.snh.gov.uk/sitelink/siteinfo.jsp?pa_code=651) page. Here's the one for Forsinard Bogs: http://gateway.snh.gov.uk/sitelink/documentview.jsp?p_pa_code=651&p_Doc_Type_ID=3Thanks Duncansby. :cool:

sids
18-Oct-11, 23:23
Burning them now, gonna burn more tomorrow.

I'll enjoy the warmth even more after reading the envirohippy point of view here. Thanks.

secrets in symmetry
18-Oct-11, 23:38
Burning them now, gonna burn more tomorrow.

I'll enjoy the warmth even more after reading the envirohippy point of view here. Thanks.You can follow the envirohippy's actions if you wish, but everyone knows she's wrong - except the environmental vandal herself.

roadbowler
18-Oct-11, 23:46
Why don't you take your head out of the sand and admit that burning peat is very environmentally unsound? What hope is there for humanity when someone who claims to live naturally doesn't understand the damage she is doing? Your arrogant ignorance makes you guilty of capital ecological vandalism!BTW oil, coal and gas are sustainable if I use your criteria!explain how burning peat is unnatural? You can't, nor can you suggest a better option for fuel that is more environmentally sound, cept trees of course which you think is a great idea to plant all over the peatlands LOL yet, duncansby quite rightly points out you're talking out yer apparently wiser end if you also are trying to proclaim death to the planet by co2. Natural living, yes, i haven't mentioned the 2000+ and growing short rotation coppice i've planted which eventually will fuel my fire and fires for generations after me. Peat is most likely a temporary option for me and a good one as it turns out, lovely peat fire going now. So, what exactly is it your doing to combat agw if you're so worried about the damage it's causing or you a hypocrite like the majority of agw fanatics? Taking your telly off standby or what?

secrets in symmetry
18-Oct-11, 23:52
You really have no idea, have you? You really don't understand anything about the science that leads to global warming. You apparently don't understand why burning peat is not sustainable in practice, and you don't understand why you are therefore an environmental vandal. Go learn some science, go learn not to shoot your mouth off, and learn not to criticise those who do understand.

At the very least, do nothing - being worthless to the environment is better than destroying it as you are doing now. Your actions are a disgrace to thoughtful humanity.

roadbowler
19-Oct-11, 00:36
You really have no idea, have you? You really don't understand anything about the science that leads to global warming. You apparently don't understand why burning peat is not sustainable in practice, and you don't understand why you are therefore an environmental vandal. Go learn some science, go learn not to shoot your mouth off, and learn not to criticise those who do understand. At the very least, do nothing - being worthless to the environment is better than destroying it as you are doing now. Your actions are a disgrace to thoughtful humanity.By the looks, i may understand it better than you, afterall, at least I haven't planted my coppice on a peatbog!! Lmao!!! Just as i thought, the first agw fanatics to tell everyone else what they are doing is damaging the environment are the ones who do little to nothing themselves to save the planet, nothing except hypocrites. That is precisely what you are, thank you for finely illustrating the fact here along with your "wisdom" on the environmental benefits regards co2 reduction by planting forests on peatlands! Lol. Now take yer telly off standby and run off and find a peatbog to plant some trees,treehugger and don't forget your to hold your breath while your at it to save us from your co2 pollution. Ta.

secrets in symmetry
19-Oct-11, 00:45
If you didn't apply your simple-minded childlike logic to everything, you might actually understand that the CO2 dynamics of forested peat bog is complicated. From your words, I am already sure that I have learned more about planting forests on big stinky bogs in one day than you have in your whole time of sticking toy trees in your lawn.

You are a vandal every time you burn peat. The irony is that you think you are the envirohippy, whereas in fact your pyrotechnics are driving the planet into burnt oblivion every day. Keep up your imperialist behaviour if you wish, but don't complain when your planet burns like the wickerman.

linnie612
19-Oct-11, 00:52
How do you all keep warm/clean etc?:)

roadbowler
19-Oct-11, 00:56
If you didn't apply your simple-minded childlike logic to everything, you might actually understand that the CO2 dynamics of forested peat bog is complicated. From your words, I am already sure that I have learned more about planting forests on big stinky bogs in one day than you have in your whole time of sticking toy trees in your lawn.You are a vandal every time you burn peat. The irony is that you think you are the envirohippy, whereas in fact your pyrotechnics are driving the planet into burnt oblivion every day. Keep up your imperialist behaviour if you wish, but don't complain when your planet burns like the wickerman. lol. Come back after you've planted yer trees, hypocrite.

roadbowler
19-Oct-11, 01:34
@linnie, would be interested to know too. Everybody does what they got to and what they able to do. Fuel as a whole is getting extraordinarily expensive no matter what way you do it. i've had oil, electric, wood and now wood and peat, it's what works for me and is the cheapest as far as I can make out. Oil seems very common here but, insanely expensive, i would be interested to hear what people pay on average for heating fuel for a year. Last year i spent £50 plus another £50 at least transporting it, but, lots of hours cutting and splitting wood. I now wonder how many hours does one have to spend cutting and drying enough peat for heating a year, anyone done it? @birons thank you for the info! Handy to have a supplier in wick too.

roadbowler
20-Oct-11, 12:28
wondered why it was shut! Didna mean to (tab + enter!?) sorry!

Birons
20-Oct-11, 15:56
We now have 20KG bags (aprox) of peat in stock at £4-50.

secrets in symmetry
20-Oct-11, 22:15
lol. Come back after you've planted yer trees, hypocrite.So...all you can do is make up lies about me when you know nothing....

I have probably removed more CO2 from the atmosphere in the last six months than you can ever aspire to save in your lifetime. :cool:

You should go and read about the CO2 balances when planting trees in peat bogs. Fast growing trees and peat bogs can be good for CO2 levels.

roadbowler
20-Oct-11, 23:01
i don't aspire to "save?" co2, you do, thought that was fairly clear from the outset. Good luck with your mission.

golach
20-Oct-11, 23:10
I have probably removed more CO2 from the atmosphere in the last six months than you can ever aspire to save in your lifetime.

A quick question secrets in symmetry..........do you drink spirits? If you do, you are contributing to one of the biggest producers of Co2 in the country, Distilleries produce millions of litres of Co2 which is just released into the air.

secrets in symmetry
20-Oct-11, 23:15
i don't aspire to "save?" co2, you do, thought that was fairly clear from the outset. Good luck with your mission.I know you don't, so stop calling me a hypocrite.

You would be one for the ignore list if it weren't for that fact that you are so dangerous - due the influence you may have on other do-gooding scientific ignoramuses due to your attempts to live sustainably. We don't want you creating copycat eco-vandals do we now?

secrets in symmetry
20-Oct-11, 23:17
A quick question secrets in symmetry..........do you drink spirits? If you do, you are contributing to one of the biggest producers of Co2 in the country, Distilleries produce millions of litres of Co2 which is just released into the air.Don't worry golach, I don't touch spirits more than once or twice a year.

golach
20-Oct-11, 23:19
Don't worry golach, I don't touch spirits more than once or twice a year.

Well I will make up for you :lol:

secrets in symmetry
20-Oct-11, 23:39
Well I will make up for you :lol:Now you have an excuse to give them up - you can help save the planet! :cool:

demac-artist
23-Oct-11, 02:46
The sell peat at the ironmongers on Bridge st, Wick next to Barcleys Bank all sell kindling

secrets in symmetry
23-Oct-11, 17:10
The sell peat at the ironmongers on Bridge st, Wick next to Barcleys Bank all sell kindlingIt's next to the Bank of Scotland - the nearest Barclays Bank is in Inverness!