PDA

View Full Version : Saint Ola

brokencross
27-Nov-04, 20:08
I was just wondering if any Cat.org persons remember the old St. Ola, (the one that looked a bit like the Royal Yacht) and was anyone on its maiden trip. My mam was on it and says the weather was terrible and she was really seasick. It used to come in to Wick occasionally when the weather was bad at Scrabster. I am sure Bill and Co. will have a photo to display.

JAWS
27-Nov-04, 21:38
Brokencross, ask you mam if she had to help or did the men in horned hats do all the rowing? :evil

Then run like hell!!

Can't help, but hope you find your photos.

Jalon
27-Nov-04, 21:59
Well,maybe I saw your Mam being sick.Ugh!
I used the Ola on many occasions in the 70's/80's,and a lot of crossings over the Firth were not nice, to say the least.I've been on that ferry when I honestly thought it would "turn turtle" with the ferry literally on it's side. I've witnessed passengers, and crew, beyond the seasickness stage, unconscious and flat out.VERY SCARY and not a nice exprience compared to todays cruisers!!

golach
27-Nov-04, 22:20
Jalon,
that would be the Ola III, the one I liked best was the Ola II built in the 50's, she was a good sea ship and the Captain was famous I seem to remember for going to sea in any weather, if he had to miss a crossing, he took it as a personal slight

Golach

Jalon
27-Nov-04, 23:53
Yep,these crossings would certainly put today's roller coaster rides to shame!!