PDA

View Full Version : travellers

dandod
12-Oct-11, 21:11
i noticed 1 caravan up near the airport over a month ago but never seen any activity and thought it had maybe been abandoned. then tonight taking a wee walk up around the drome and there is now 2 more larger caravans with countless children and dogs. where they are parked is right outside the airport surely they must pose some kind of risk. can the police do anything or will the area turn into another dale farm.

rogermellie
12-Oct-11, 21:18
what sort of risk do they pose ?

if they're not doing any harm, then leave them be i say.

another Dale Farm ? (do you read the daily mail by any chance?)

dandod
12-Oct-11, 21:24
would you leave them be if they were practically sitting in your back yard? perhaps a risk of their satellite receivers interfering with airport equipment or the thiick black smoke froj when the burn tyres.

teddybear1873
12-Oct-11, 21:26
i noticed 1 caravan up near the airport over a month ago but never seen any activity and thought it had maybe been abandoned. then tonight taking a wee walk up around the drome and there is now 2 more larger caravans with countless children and dogs. where they are parked is right outside the airport surely they must pose some kind of risk. can the police do anything or will the area turn into another dale farm.

Seth Armstrong will sort them oot. Maybe It's the Dingle's family up on holiday.

rogermellie
12-Oct-11, 21:31
would you leave them be if they were practically sitting in your back yard? perhaps a risk of their satellite receivers interfering with airport equipment or the thiick black smoke froj when the burn tyres.

if they're practically in your back yard then i can understand your concern, but you're having a laugh saying there's a risk to the airport from their satellite dishes or black smoke from burning tyres !!

linnie612
12-Oct-11, 21:56

Are 'they' in your backyard? Have you had problems with 'them' before? Have you contacted the authorities with your concerns?

telfordstar
12-Oct-11, 21:59
I saw where they were on Sunday, On your back yard where do you live on the runway??? Seriously if there doing no harm I don't see the problem at all, just the usual moaning folk in this toon with nothing better to do than moan, If it bothers you that much go raise your concern other than on here behind a screen!

jac1791
12-Oct-11, 22:34
The travellers should be welcomed. They do no harm so should be left alone. There's a big park -- the bignold pk , not getting used , and it's public ground so the travellers should set up there!

rogermellie
12-Oct-11, 22:44
i love your enthusiasm, but they'd be on the receiving end of abuse from the less enthusiastic locals if they had such a public spot.

you're right though, they do no harm, it's the tiny minority of thieving criminals who hide under the guise of travellers that gives them all a bad name.

golach
12-Oct-11, 22:48
The travellers should be welcomed. They do no harm so should be left alone. There's a big park -- the bignold pk , not getting used , and it's public ground so the travellers should set up there!

Well said , and by taking the stand for the so called traveller, will you be going around the park cleaning it up when they have goone......I think not!!!

jac1791
12-Oct-11, 22:51
There are a hell of a lot worse people in the town between thefts, drug dealers ect than innocent travellers. They may have the odd bad egg amounts them but that's like every family about. I personally would love to see them settle up here on public ground

rogermellie
12-Oct-11, 22:55
Well said , and by taking the stand for the so called traveller, will you be going around the park cleaning it up when they have goone......I think not!!!

another case of presuming the worst from people

we had travellers a few years ago in Wick at the drome, they stayed for a few days (4 or 5 caravans with kids and dogs) and then left without a trace.

jac1791
12-Oct-11, 22:58
I can't remember ever seeing a mess at the dorm when travellers have been there and left in the past

golach
12-Oct-11, 23:04
another case of presuming the worst from people

we had travellers a few years ago in Wick at the drome, they stayed for a few days (4 or 5 caravans with kids and dogs) and then left without a trace.
I am only going on personal experience, and the mess left on the foreshore at Cramond in Edinburgh, it cost the council hundreds of pounds to clean it up. And my council tax helped fund this.

rogermellie
12-Oct-11, 23:18
i know what you're saying, i've also seen laybys and carparks left in a hell of a state after travellers have been there

but i've seen sites that have been left as they found it, Wick is the nearest example of this

Bazeye
13-Oct-11, 00:18
They might be able to re-tarmac the runway.

teddybear1873
13-Oct-11, 00:27
I don't see what the problem is. Some are moaning lek a weet hen as though It's the end of the world. I'm sure some are a pain and leave a mess. If there will be a problem, I'm sure the local authorities will handle it correctly.

Golach, your making out that all travellers are the same. Some are good, some aren't. You can't say these people will do the same just because what happened in Edinburgh.

roadbowler
13-Oct-11, 19:26
Maybe at Cramond, but, at the Straiton Park n Ride in Edinburgh a whole troop of travellers parked up there for several weeks last year and their set up was tidier than most of the council estates in the city and when they left you'd never have known they were ever there. In my view, it was a great place for them too as the Park n Ride is usually mostly empty anyways, might as well get some use out of it.

Have to totally agree with the sentiments expressed by Roger, jac and teddy here.

golach
13-Oct-11, 20:06
Maybe at Cramond, but, at the Straiton Park n Ride in Edinburgh a whole troop of travellers parked up there for several weeks last year and their set up was tidier than most of the council estates in the city and when they left you'd never have known they were ever there. In my view, it was a great place for them too as the Park n Ride is usually mostly empty anyways, might as well get some use out of it.

Have to totally agree with the sentiments expressed by Roger, jac and teddy here.

Oh they did did they? Not what was reported here, maybe you were at the wrong park and ride

http://www.scotsman.com/news/gypsies_invade_park_and_ride_1_1247487

http://www.scotsman.com/news/travellers_spoil_park_and_ride_as_they_move_in_aga in_1_1794548

pat
13-Oct-11, 20:24
When I lived in Edinburgh the travellers came to the roundabout at Gogar where the huge hole for the trams is at the moment (maybe that was why started building it there) and to Hermiston Gate - what messes they left, gas containers, piles of tarmac, tree cuttings, remains of old vehicles, all sorts of scrap, hundreds of old tyres.
Would pass the Gogar roundabout a couple of times a day taking dog for walk and the mess gradually grew and when the travellers were on their last warnings they usually up sticks and moved to another part of town - each time it cost a lot of time, energy to clear those sites.
One time I watched the workers, take five days and 50 lorry loads of rubbish to clear the site, they then spent another couple of days bringing in huge stones and using the diggers to build mounds of earth and the stones as barricades so the travellers would find it difficult to come back - they were back within a couple of months and the site soon back to being a rubbish tip and an eyesore.
If you have lived near the above types of sites you become very wary of travellers setting up near you but give these people a chance and only complain if there are problems please do not prejudge.

lesley_mac
13-Oct-11, 21:00
hi just looked at some of the coments IT SEEMS OK FOR U TO WALK ABOUT THE DROME BUT WEN IT COMES TO TRAVELERS THERE NOT ALLOWED THINK ABOUT THINGS TRAVELERS WERE CAMPING IN WICK AND THURSO BEFORE YOU WERE BORN AND THEY WILL ALWAYS COME BACK IF YOU LIKE IT OR NOT AND ANOTHER THING IF THE COUNCIL WOULD SPEND MONEY ON THINGS THEY SHOULD INSTEAD OF MOVEING TRAVELERS THEY WOULD GET ON ALOT BETTER SO STOP MOANING AND LEAVE THE PEOPLE ALONE

BE HAPPY

oldmarine
13-Oct-11, 21:53
Some good comments here. I have difficulty in seeing a problem with this one.

roadbowler
14-Oct-11, 00:02
@Golach

Neither is the lot I'm speaking of. It was winter and 10 caravans at most at the Straiton Park and Ride. This article, http://www.scotsman.com/news/travellers_spoil_park_and_ride_as_they_move_in_aga in_1_1794548 is about Sheriffhall Park and ride! Maybe you're thinking of the wrong Park and Ride?! edit: to add, the only complaint anywhere in this article is that they are just simply there and "the mess they leave behind". How did they know they left a mess behind when the travellers were still there when the article was written?!

Did you not read this article either? http://www.scotsman.com/news/gypsies_invade_park_and_ride_1_1247487 "Gypsies invade park and ride". According to the xenophobic Scotsman, they invaded the park n ride. Maybe they used the park and ride because Edinburgh currently only offers 20 pitches for travellers. 20! Not to mention they were there for a Festival in Granton. Some of their laddies were throwing stones at the buses which their parents nipped in the bud and apologised to the bus company. Would this article have ever made it into the Scotsman if it were settled folk throwing stones at buses?