PDA

View Full Version : Dunnet Forest

Rheghead
13-Oct-06, 00:00
I just wondered if any orgers actually take a walk around it regularly and if they have any opinions on the programme of replacing a lot of the trees there. Also, have you any opinions on the Trust's idea of putting sculptures into the forest? Is dog mess a real problem there? Is it good for birdwatching? ETC ETC!

MadPict
13-Oct-06, 00:39
Sculptures in forests? What a stupid idea. I mean, is nature not enough of an artist - man has to try and out do her? Such arrogance....

I am of course joking - I recall visiting Grizedale Forest years ago and marvelling at some of the forest sculptures that have been created from forest materials. It was there I discovered the work of Andy Goldsworthy.
I think the art has moved on a bit since then and includes metal works which I think spoils the whole natural feeling of the original sculptures. Walking through the forest you'd think you had sneaked up on a deer, but as you got closer you realised it was made completely from branches and twigs.
So if it is done in sympathy with the forest it could make it a popular place to visit...

connieb19
13-Oct-06, 00:41
I thought there already were some sculptures in the forest???? :confused I'm sure I saw pictures of them somewhere.

angela5
13-Oct-06, 09:24
I think having sculptures in the forest is a great idea. So many schools organise trips to the forest, would make it a little more interesting to the kids.:D

sweetpea
13-Oct-06, 09:38
Sometimes you have to watch where you step cause the dog poo can be a bit of a problem. :(

Ann
13-Oct-06, 11:41
My third attempt at a post; they keep disappearing into cyber space!

I love taking my dog to Dunnet Forest; he enjoys the space, smells and freedom so much. It is a great place to go on a stormy day if you stay in among the trees where you can hear the wind rushing through the treetops but where it is still calm and peaceful down on the ground.

There are lots of species of fungi there as you can see by some photos on the photography boards.

Yes Connie, there are sculptures in the forest; I came across totem poles just the other day! I think our very own chainsaw artist should offer his services; there is certainly plenty of material!

I haven't come across much dog poo on the paths, or litter, which shows the respect the people who visit there have for the forest. Ok, there is always one or two who are uncaring but not many.

A very pleasant place to visit indeed and seems to be well managed.

ywindy
13-Oct-06, 21:45
I just wondered if any orgers actually take a walk around it regularly and if they have any opinions on the programme of replacing a lot of the trees there. Also, have you any opinions on the Trust's idea of putting sculptures into the forest? Is dog mess a real problem there? Is it good for birdwatching? ETC ETC!

Rheghead,
What points are you trying to make?
Re dog mess, dogs are not the problem, it's their owners.
ywindy

Rheghead
13-Oct-06, 21:55
Rheghead,
What points are you trying to make?
Re dog mess, dogs are not the problem, it's their owners.
ywindy

I make no points, I only tried to open a discussion about Dunnet Forest.

Madpict, I am a closet fan of Andy Goldsworthy. I have his books called Wood and Stone. Also, Grizedale forest is one of my old stomping grounds, I used to go mountain biking there quite regularly.

I think forest sculpture can be very interesting and can enhance a small wood like Dunnnet, but there comes a point of overkill for it. I'm quite sure Dunnet hasn't got to that stage yet though.

engiebenjy
14-Oct-06, 18:45
I remember a forest on the outskirts of Aberdeen havong famtastic sculptures a few years ago (can't remember the name of it), and they were fantastic. Again, this was because they were made of natural materials. Dunnet Forest would be a great place for them.

On the other hand it is not a great place for dog poo. It is a real problem for the first hundred yards or so as you go along the main track from the car park. And yes, I know it's not the dogs, it's the owners. Well the owners want to do what my kids did one day and step in it and then get in the car, and see how long it takes to pick it up behind their four legged friends.

the charlatans
15-Oct-06, 17:58
Up here at the Lake (Dunnet) i go to the forest pretty much every day with baby Charlatans and doggy Charlatans who both love it. Its a great wee forest and is well used by locals and visitors staying at the caravan park. There are loads of different trails and paths around and you can take a new one every day if you wish. I like the totem poles although i personally feel they are located in a slightly odd place and i would have liked them to be marked with locations on them, but art's art and who am i to argue.
Earlier in the year there was a family day where they made sculptures out of natural materials, giant snails, owls, a pirate and a stag (doggy Charlatans has 'borrowed' a few of the stags legs now) and they were really fun. I've seen loads of wildlife/flora this year, the dragonflies were amazing.
The dog poo can be a bit messy, i always have my plastic bags with me but some oddball has taken to picking it up in a bag and leaving it dangling in a tree - i've seen at least 3 of these, i don't get this at all, if your going to pick it up why not take it to the bin at the entrance?????????
However, its a great place and well managed, big up the forester, he does a great job. :D

caithness import
15-Oct-06, 19:59
Regarding Dunnet forest, being a bit of a forest snob I had reservations about a small forest with multiple tracks in it. Well worn, obvious trails tend to get pretty boring and monotonous. Concentrations of people, dug's and the product of dugs. However... I reckon its just about right. Doesn't get too busy, is relatively clean and tidy, MOST dugs control their owners and there are enough off the beaten track trails that you can go round with only meeting people on the main artery's. A big deal when you're an antisocial git like me, with a dug that likes people even less. I go running there, I walk the wife there and I like it. The kiddies 'sculptures' could have been tidied up after the event, a nice thing for bairns to do but after a few months they just look like wind blown litter. Theres a number of organised walks there which I have been on one and loved it. Was even sociable. I tend to walk off the marked out trails and see a lot of wildlife. So yep, all in all, pretty impressed with the way its set out and its up keep.

ps, If I find out who hangs their dug mess from trees in little bags I'll name and shame and leave 'em hanging off said tree with said dugsh*te. There's no accounting for how ignorant humans can be is there!!