PDA

View Full Version : First ever lifeboat?

ter21wat
09-Oct-11, 17:36
I thought I read somewhere a while back that the one of the boats lying on grass down at the side of Thurso River, near Old St Peters Kirk, was discovered to be the first ever lifeboat....but now I cant find anything about it? Does anyone else remember anything about this? Thanks.

orkneycadian
09-Oct-11, 19:33
Theres a guy called Noah, works down the chip shop - He might be able to shed some light on this. ;)

rogermellie
09-Oct-11, 20:51
the first and last three letters of the OP's username sums you up orkneycadian, coincidentally also a place in Orkney itself ;)

hope you get the info you're looking for about the lifeboat, interesting story if true

Dynamic Sounds
09-Oct-11, 21:17
If I remember correctly the boat in question was called the Dale Queen and was a Watson class life boat. It wasn't the first lifeboat, but was the only one of the class built something unique about it, what that unique thing is I can not remember but I think it was to do with the engine.

I remember it being used as a fishing about in the late 80's / early 90's from Thurso harbour. I also remember it once buring a typical Caithness storm when the river was flooded, floating on the quay side as the tide was a little bit high.

orkneycadian
09-Oct-11, 22:33
the first and last three letters of the OP's username sums you up orkneycadian, coincidentally also a place in Orkney itself ;)

And also a reasonably common surname! In fact, I seem to recall when "Swinging Radio Caithness" handed over to their Orkney correspondant, it was a certain Magnus Twatt!

flowertot
10-Oct-11, 05:08
Speak to or PM "thirsaloon", a member of this forum, he'll know the story. I have heard it but can't remember it or where I read it! I will be interested to read the tale.

ter21wat
10-Oct-11, 17:27
Thanks Dynamic Sounds, I new there was some story about it! I can try and look up some more on it with the info you have given, or will contact thirsaloon, cheers guys! :)

tonkatojo
11-Oct-11, 11:02
I think a lass called Grace Darling would have something to say on this subject.

ducati
11-Oct-11, 11:14
I think a lass called Grace Darling would have something to say on this subject.

Aye we could do with lassies of her ilk in the Wick Coastal Rowing Club!:D