PDA

View Full Version : advice on wireless adaptors

robbain
12-Oct-06, 19:07
Hi
looking for information about wireless adapters - I am with Orange (formerly wanadoo, formerly freeserve) I have decided to go to Wireless & Talk with Orange. I have a computer old as the hills - Window Me, Orange says that I will need a wireless adapter, but theirs is sold out. It does't come the package, I have a wifi laptop, but I don't want to connect it yet to Wireless & Talk just my old PC. As theirs is sold out, have been inform by them to shop around for wireless adapters.

Bobinovich
12-Oct-06, 21:24
The Wanadoo/Orange Wireless & Talk box also has an Ethernet connection so, unless the box is going to be sited some way from the PC, I would recommend putting in an ethernet card and connecting it that way instead of relying on wireless.

If however you've got no option then I can recommend this Netgear one here (http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/60014)

robbain
13-Oct-06, 12:27
Bobinovich
thank you for the advice, I will look at the options you gave and the website for the netgear

Robbain

blueivy
13-Oct-06, 14:08
Hi
looking for information about wireless adapters - I am with Orange (formerly wanadoo, formerly freeserve) I have decided to go to Wireless & Talk with Orange. I have a computer old as the hills - Window Me, Orange says that I will need a wireless adapter, but theirs is sold out. It does't come the package, I have a wifi laptop, but I don't want to connect it yet to Wireless & Talk just my old PC. As theirs is sold out, have been inform by them to shop around for wireless adapters.

Hi robbain,

If your computer is 'old as the hills' it may not have a USB port - only you'll know that. If it does then as Bobinovich has suggested as USB adapter might be the best bet. If it doesn't then a PCI card may be better (http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/cat/Wireless/subcat/PCI-Adapters). Buy only the card as fast as you need (unless the prices difference is small) - it's pointless buying a card that supports 108Mbps if your access point only support 11Mbps or 54Mbps!

robbain
13-Oct-06, 15:07
Blueivy
I do have a built in modem it may be compatible if not and USB port in my computer, if not I think I will go for the wireless adapter, no sure how to install the PCI card.

blueivy
13-Oct-06, 21:12
Blueivy
I do have a built in modem it may be compatible if not and USB port in my computer, if not I think I will go for the wireless adapter, no sure how to install the PCI card.

Hi Robbain,

Your modem won't allow you to connect to the wireless network I'm afraid. If you have a USB port, and if you're not comfortable with installing a PCI card, I'd go for the USB adapter option that Bobinovich suggested. I always prefer 3Com equipment over Netgear (as I've had a few problems with Netgear routers in the past) but it's really 6 and half a dozen. Probably buy the best brand name at the lowest price.