PDA

View Full Version : solar energy savings

hilary
08-Oct-11, 09:37
had a phone call from solar energy savings some spel about government help
anyone else had any dealings with them ? thanks

pat
08-Oct-11, 10:24
There are many companies selling solar panels and all for extremely different rates!!!
The governement are ploughing money into this but how much are this company going to charge you - above and beyond the governement payback scheme.
I personally would not be very trusting of a company who cold calls - just think of all the double glazing, kitchen renewal, conservatories etc - which companies estimates are the highest, usually the ones doing the cold calling.
If you are interested suggest you start looking and ask them for an estimate - cannot do any harm but do your research and know what is waffle and undue pressure rubbish, extreme high sales/turnover figures etc before they come visiting.

Rheghead
08-Oct-11, 14:07

My advice would be to seek out local owners of solar panels and get their opinion as to how good their installer performed and is valued.

Sadly CREF is no longer with us but I'm sure some of its old members now have solar panels who could help you. They might even give you a referral to their installer and if you agree to buy then they get a small reward.
Everyone is happy. :)

secrets in symmetry
08-Oct-11, 14:41
I second the advice from pat and Rheghead.

I don't deal with cold callers either.

Kodiak
08-Oct-11, 15:35
Cold Callers just send a Shiver through my Spine. Brrrr !! :D

hilary
08-Oct-11, 18:34
thanks for all your good advice,will seek out local folks that have solar panels and see who is best .Thanks again

oldmarine
10-Oct-11, 15:16
Obama and the Democrat Party in the USA have been in trouble for the way they handled the solar panel business. I believe there is a future for solar energy, but I worry about some of those who handle this type of business (at least in the USA).

ywindythesecond
11-Oct-11, 22:11
There are many companies selling solar panels and all for extremely different rates!!!
The governement are ploughing money into this .

Pat, the Government is not ploughing any money into this. The profits made from installing solar panels, wind turbines, and hydro under the FITs scheme come from the energy companies who share the cost among all their customers through their electricity bills, so generally speaking, its your neighbours who pay for your good fortune. Don't blame the energy companies, it is Government's doing, its just not Government's money.

pat
12-Oct-11, 16:27
Correct ywindythesecond - many thanks for pointing it out.
Fingers started working without getting mind in gear.
Yes everyone using the energy companies power are paying and the government are plugging the use of alternative power to raise their figures for alternative energy production - never mind who is paying (all the customers who do not have solar/wind/hydro output are the ones paying for the alternative energy)

Neil Howie
12-Oct-11, 23:54
The generous tariffs may not last long:

A year has passed since the Comprehensive Spending Review and the solar panels industry is nervous as to what the upcoming Comprehensive Consultation on the feed in tariffs holds.

The take- up for photovoltaic solar panels has been huge since the feed in tariffs began in April last year, so good that, looking at the budget constraints, it is clear that the high rate of tariffs offered to new adopters will have to be lowered sooner than the 2013 date originally specified.

The current budget will not sustain another year of growth, with the demand for solar technology so strong, with around 550MW installed since the feed in tariffs began. Bringing in a lower rate of tariffs to newer adopters seems almost inevitable.

This was made apparent at the Conservative conference this week when George Osborne publicly attacked green laws and regulations as “piling costs on to energy bills” and appeared to abandon earlier aspirations of leadership for the UK on the low carbon economy.

ducati
13-Oct-11, 07:21
Correct ywindythesecond - many thanks for pointing it out.
Fingers started working without getting mind in gear.
Yes everyone using the energy companies power are paying and the government are plugging the use of alternative power to raise their figures for alternative energy production - never mind who is paying (all the customers who do not have solar/wind/hydro output are the ones paying for the alternative energy)

What happens when everyone gets it. Like mobile phones, it will happen. Then who pays?

weezer 316
13-Oct-11, 13:51
<sarcastic font>I think its all just a big con tbh. there are days when the sun doesnt shine for like 17 hours. Whats the point when the sun doesnt shine? Its the same as the wind, sometimes it deosnt blow. And the energy companies are raking it in.

I would rather trust the finite resources in the ground than the 5 billion year old ball of gass in the sky and the currents it generates.</sarcastic font>

BillE
26-Jan-12, 14:03

Avoid. They claim to be one of the biggest suppliers of solar PV in the UK. Yet a quick search fails to find them apart from a small grubby HQ near Manchester Airport.

We 'entertained' one of their guys one day, his notes and calculations were incomprehensible scribble and the hard sell was unbelievable.

They don't really exist other than a front to run off with your deposit.