PDA

View Full Version : Is my driving instructor keeping me going for more money??

mo2
07-Oct-11, 19:55
Hi all just a quick Q, iv been learning to drive since bout july this year and had about 16 lessons so far, when asking my instructor when they think i will be ready for my test the instructor say about jan, feb time!! iv done all my manoeuvres ect and to my calculations the instructor is wanting me to do another 16 lessons aprox!! dose this sound right?? What would u lot do??

changilass
07-Oct-11, 20:01
Depends on wether or not you trust your instructor, if not perhaps you would be better off with someone else.

Your option is to have a one off lesson with another instructor to see if they think the same amount of lessons are needed.

mo2
07-Oct-11, 20:04
yes i was realy considering doing that, just feel bad but then its my money getting waisted!!

Corrie 3
07-Oct-11, 20:10
32 lessons is a rip off, unless you are a nervous or a really bad driver then 15 should be able to get you through the test!! Get rid and find someone else is my opinion!!!
ps, I passed after 6 lessons, if I can do it then so can you!!

C3...........:eek::roll:;)

mo2
07-Oct-11, 20:19
omg 6 lessons?? im not nervous but i would say i prob need to have maybe 4 more lessons max! i just seamed to go over the same stuff for weeks on end, and what i was doing there was never a problem that i needed to keep repeating the same thing!

annemarie482
07-Oct-11, 20:27
Hi all just a quick Q, iv been learning to drive since bout july this year and had about 16 lessons so far, when asking my instructor when they think i will be ready for my test the instructor say about jan, feb time!! iv done all my manoeuvres ect and to my calculations the instructor is wanting me to do another 16 lessons aprox!! dose this sound right?? What would u lot do??

as someone who passed my test 1 year ago, (and was a quick and confident driver) this sounds very comparable with a lot of people i know who have recently passed their test. it's not just the practicality of being able to "do" a manouvre, but building up your driving hours so you have real experience on the roads, and time to try different driving conditions and experience lots of situations. although you have been told another 16ish lessons, that may well be brought much closer, i'd suggest this was a gentle way of saying dont run before you can walk, if you get my drift.

mo2
07-Oct-11, 20:42
Yeah its just iv heard there is a 3 month waiting list for the tests too so that would bring it up to bout 12 more lessons! I do understand about having experiences on the road ect. just wanted to get other peoples views ect as i have alot of people saying to me about how long iv been doing the lessons for!!

annemarie482
07-Oct-11, 20:45
theres nothing wrong with getting your instructor to book your test in advance :)
thats what i did, was told a rough time scale so booked it so it would be stuck to.
saves the wait once your ready.
there's also the oppertunity of cancellations too.

toffee_pie
07-Oct-11, 21:06

driving since july...
wtf

he is taking you for a ride.

its years since i did lessons, dont think i had no more than 10 for sure.

oldmarine
07-Oct-11, 21:38
Some good comments above with good advice. At 86 years of age I believe they are valid. Go for them while using your head as to what is good advice.

toffee_pie
07-Oct-11, 21:42
also its not busy up in thurso, if you cant pass a driving lesson up here forget about driving!

so many 'sunday' drivers i see on the roads....

*shakes fist

starfish
07-Oct-11, 21:43
i think like the rest of us driving instructor are feeling the pinch , they have not so many learners that can afford lessons so some not all hang on to the ones they have have had many driving lesson and can drive but cannot pass my test cos as soon i as the examiner sits next to me my legs and brain go to jelly now feel phyiscal sick just driving pass the test centre,

Maccy
07-Oct-11, 21:49
Hard to say. Do you know anyone else that has been with this instructor, was he/she recommended to you. I
used to be a driving instructor ( not in this area ) I also had the highest 1st time pass rate, believe me when I say that some learners think they can drive and are ready for there test when clearly they are not . You really have to trust your instructor, unless you know different, in which case you should not have chosen him/her in the 1st place.
A good reputation mean a lot.

Leanne
07-Oct-11, 22:04
National average for lessons before 1st test is 20. Just think though - the more lessons you have, the more likely you are to get that golden '1st time pass'. If your instructor feels you aren't ready then you could be wasting your money sitting you test. Save yourself the embarrassment of failing the first time and go with when your instructor says - after all they're the professional...

teddybear1873
07-Oct-11, 22:55
In the 80's (thurso) I had a driving instructor, can't mind the old man's name but I think he had too many wine gums when he took me driving. I got rid of him after about 8 lessons as I wasn't any further on that when I did my first lesson. I think some go out to milk people, but I'm sure the main percentage don't.

Dadie
07-Oct-11, 23:02
You are either making lots of silly mistakes in your normal driving that need ironing out if you can do the manouvers or need to get more hours under your belt to cope with other road users doing "caithness driving" and how to respond to their actions or need more confidence.
Your instructor wont put you forward for your test until they are happy you can drive to a level to pass your test.
Have you asked for a mock test to see where you need to practice/brush up on your skills?

Koi
08-Oct-11, 00:12
It took me 5 years off and on learning to finally pass my test. I had Brian gordon and he has always been honest and made me really think about what i was doing, My previous instructor was milking me for all i was worth.
After 3 failed tests up here i went to inverness for an intensive driving course as i wasn't happy having to wait untill december at the time to sit my test again. I failed for a few reasons twice due to bad nerves.
I did 3 days of intensive driving and came home with a pass with only 3 minors. None of which had anything to do with roundabouts or the dual carriageway but to a slight dip in concentration. Compared to the Examiner Norman up here the guy i had was really nice and chatted a little to me asking me what kind of car i had etc. My instructor sat in the back and he commented afterwards that it had been one of the best drives he's sat in for a while. I did however learn a few things while i was there.
A few things stuck out were that i had been told if i had to go forward to correct a manuvere it was a control fault. Did not apply in inverness and my instrcutor just asked why it would be as to carry on is the loss of control not to correct it. This really has stuck with me and has shown me just how strict norman is. It's understandable as there are no challenges up here whereas in ness they have bigger things to worry about than if you need to correct your manuveure slightly. Small and big fish menatlity.
But anyways. I have no idea how many lessons i had, and really don't want to know how much it all came to! I wasn't a confident driver at first and i held myself back by believing i wasn't ready and couldn't do it. Took being out of my comfort zone and fresh pair of eyes to make me see just how good a driver i am and how capable i was of passing. I see my son like this too. He is only young but he is like me and does not believe he can do something though i know he can. This has happened with his walking. He could take steps long before he had the confidence in his abilites to do so.
You coudl always book a test and see how it is nearer the time. You can always change your test time again if you were not ready. Be careful with winter dates as i had one and it was cancelled twice on me due to the weather. It really is not down to the number of lessons you have but your own capabilites. Believing in yourself and just letting it go as it is without rushing will ensure that when you do go for your test you will be ready for it.
A second opinon will not hurt either. It could be in your best interest to book a lesson with someone else just to find out if it is really you or your instructor is holding you back. Good luck and just enjoy driving.

EDDIE
08-Oct-11, 05:39
Tell you instructor to book your test and go and have shot the worst that can happen is u can fail thats all.When it comes to your actual test day its a 50 50 chance of passing it anyway because its not just a case of relying on ure skills that you have learnt you will have to deal with your nerves on the day plus sods law and we all no how sods law works.

If your driving instructor has been teachin you since july and its now october and if your instructor wants you to do another 16 lessons before your ready for your test i would say your instructor hasnt got much confidence in there training abilitys?
Go and book your test Mo2 worst that can happen is you can fail and have to resit it again which is quite common for a lot of people if ure unlucky first time around i passed second time around.

EDDIE
08-Oct-11, 06:09
National average for lessons before 1st test is 20. Just think though - the more lessons you have, the more likely you are to get that golden '1st time pass'. If your instructor feels you aren't ready then you could be wasting your money sitting you test. Save yourself the embarrassment of failing the first time and go with when your instructor says - after all they're the professional...
Theres nothing embarrissing about failing first time and i think the only person that should be embarresed is a poor quality driving instructor that has no faith in there training abilitys or driving instructor that is cost driven and trying to milk as much lessons of trainees as possible.

steverolly
08-Oct-11, 07:42
rd,s not that so ard r they , come on lets face it , 4 lessons pass come on save ya money buy a peddle bike then you would ave to go in for ya cycle proficiency test ,then u wud be stuck again ? hahaha

Bazeye
08-Oct-11, 16:02
Apart from myself, is there anyone else who cant drive and have no intentions of learning?

catran
08-Oct-11, 16:21
I passed my test after 6 lessons

annemarie482
08-Oct-11, 17:18
please bear in mind the test is a lot more thorough than in the past, many long time drivers believe they'd struggle to pass it nowadays!
so some of the folk passing in a few lessons, just wouldnt have been so quick nowadays.
i think there is a minimum hours spent with instructor you have to have now also.
and the test is only going to get worse as the years go on!

teddybear1873
08-Oct-11, 17:48
I think it's better in the long run if learners get about 10-15 lessons under their belt driving with their parents........Easier in the pocket, but harder on the parents nerves lol.

bigk
08-Oct-11, 18:59
i got my license from the armed forces where i just had to drive a land rover a few miles and buy my instructor a macdonalds( but i will add that i have now been driving for well over twenty years and never had an accident )....but that was a few years ago now lol.....what i would do in your case would do is to have one lesson with another instructor and ask his opinion....if he thinks your instructor is takin the piss then you have rights to report your instructor and possibly claim back moneys....

bigk
08-Oct-11, 19:09
please bear in mind the test is a lot more thorough than in the past, many long time drivers believe they'd struggle to pass it nowadays!
so some of the folk passing in a few lessons, just wouldnt have been so quick nowadays.
i think there is a minimum hours spent with instructor you have to have now also.
and the test is only going to get worse as the years go on!
i for one will admit that if i had to sit the up to date driving test i would probably fail.....over the years you learn so many habits that would be a fail...i didnt say bad habits cos they arent all bad habits....we all have our own unique things some of which are good while driving some not so but we are all human.....possibly thats why i am so easy when it comes to someone making a mistake say at a junction ' they stall '....i have done that as we all have...i always think of the person behind the wheel before takin the piss out of them!!!

EDDIE
08-Oct-11, 20:58
If I was learning to drive again I would do a a intensive 1 week course rather than messing about with a lesson here and there.

oldmarine
08-Oct-11, 22:37
i got my license from the armed forces where i just had to drive a land rover a few miles and buy my instructor a macdonalds( but i will add that i have now been driving for well over twenty years and never had an accident )....but that was a few years ago now lol.....what i would do in your case would do is to have one lesson with another instructor and ask his opinion....if he thinks your instructor is takin the piss then you have rights to report your instructor and possibly claim back moneys....
I likewise got my 1st license from the armed forces while overseas during WW2. Never had drivers training. Took a written test upon returning home from overseas, but never had to take a drivers test.

Torvaig
08-Oct-11, 23:37
I likewise got my 1st license from the armed forces while overseas during WW2. Never had drivers training. Took a written test upon returning home from overseas, but never had to take a drivers test.

That is the same as my father who was in the Royal Air Force; never had to take a test either. Mind you he didn't have a car for many years after leaving RAF; he preferred his 1930's Ariel!

Before my younger brothers were born my sister and I used to travel with our parents on the motorbike to visit relations on a Sunday.

Older sister on the tank, Father driving, then me tucked in between him and my mother; I was the cosy one!

When my brothers were born obviously six was too many for the bike; had to borrow our Auntie's car or walk! We walked a lot in those days!

Dadie
08-Oct-11, 23:40
I dont think an intensive driving course would have really helped me as I was a nervous driver and needed the time for the lessons to sink in to begin with.
ou know the saying different strokes for different people it goes with driving too...there is only so much info that can be taken on board at one time and there is only so much fustration a person can take if they cannot get the biting point right on a hill start without going and having time to think about it without having to keep going until they are at their wits end or throwing in the towel!
Same with any other manouver you find tricky sometimes its better to forget about it and try something different and come back to it with a clear head!
I would hate to think what the first time pass rate is for the intensive driving courses are with a total novice with absolutely no experience behind the wheel is!

EDDIE
09-Oct-11, 08:02
I dont think an intensive driving course would have really helped me as I was a nervous driver and needed the time for the lessons to sink in to begin with.
ou know the saying different strokes for different people it goes with driving too...there is only so much info that can be taken on board at one time and there is only so much fustration a person can take if they cannot get the biting point right on a hill start without going and having time to think about it without having to keep going until they are at their wits end or throwing in the towel!
Same with any other manouver you find tricky sometimes its better to forget about it and try something different and come back to it with a clear head!
I would hate to think what the first time pass rate is for the intensive driving courses are with a total novice with absolutely no experience behind the wheel is!

When sat my motorbike licence i did an intensive course over 4 days and when i started i didnt think i would do in that time but its a weird thing in day 3 thats when everthing came together and the confidence and abilty to ride the bike but up until that point i was a danger to my self.I think thats the same with all intensive course there comes a point were every thing slides into place.
As far as nerves go i remember my instructor saying to me he had seen loads of big guys body builders and the minute you mentioned the word test they went to pieces but i think thats a natural thing when your sitting a test.When i sat my motorbike test i struggled to get the earpiece in my ear with nerves in my hands shaking but once i got going i was ok.
Thats why i was trying to encourage mo2 to book the test and go for it because there is no time really u will be 100 %ready because nerves can can get the better of anyone at test

Pepsix
09-Oct-11, 11:42
my son was desperate to learn to drive, he had 8 lessons over 3 months and I took him out every night. He drove to Inverness and Elgin and in my opinion was pretty good. His instructor said he was not ready yet but to put in for his test. He got a test date for 14 weeks later, which was the earliest date. I went on every day and got him a cancellation the following week. His instructor was not too happy and refused to let him use his car as he said he is 'measured' on pass rate. My son went for his test in his own car and past. I had the opinion that even if he failed it was worth the risk than the 12 weeks he would have been paying lesson waiting for his test. Go for it! :)

Bobinovich
09-Oct-11, 12:37
If I was learning to drive again I would do a a intensive 1 week course rather than messing about with a lesson here and there.

I agree - many moons ago I booked an instructor for a morning and an afternoon appointment for 5 days running the idea being that I wouldn't have time to forget anything, or have to go over what was learned the previous week, as I would if I'd been doing one lesson a week. I took a week off work for it and at end of those 10 lessons he said to put in for my test. Thankfully we didn't have to wait so long, so took one lesson a week and was delighted to pass first time. Will recommend something along the same lines (either locally or intensive residential) for my kids when they're ready.

Koi
09-Oct-11, 23:17
I think it's better in the long run if learners get about 10-15 lessons under their belt driving with their parents........Easier in the pocket, but harder on the parents nerves lol.

I'll get back to you on that one in 15 years. Don't think i could every teach my son how to drive!

steverolly
11-Oct-11, 09:20
ye all the locals want to go to inverness were all the real rds r hahaha

Leanne
11-Oct-11, 12:56
ye all the locals want to go to inverness were all the real rds r hahaha

You're kidding aren't you? In the grand scheme of things Inverness is just a small town...