PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Power pulls out of Longannet CCS

Rheghead
06-Oct-11, 18:21
Scottish Power are on the brink of pulling out of the £1 billion Longannet carbon capture and storage project due to lack of agreement with Government over further funding beyond £1 billion. It is abig blow to the Coal industry as no more coal plants are said to be built without a working CCS disposal route, possibly the focus will concentrate on more renewables?

How would you spend £1 billion to reduce the nation's carbon footprint?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/oct/06/carbon-capture-project-longannet-collapse

secrets in symmetry
07-Oct-11, 00:43
I think CCS is very important, and this news is disappointing.

If the billion pounds is still available, I would consider investing it in energy storage developments.

Rheghead
07-Oct-11, 18:24
I think CCS is very important, and this news is disappointing.

If the billion pounds is still available, I would consider investing it in energy storage developments.

Yes, locally based vanadium flow batteries look a good idea. Perhaps a good use for all those victorian swimming baths that get pulled down?

Corrie 3
07-Oct-11, 18:36
How would you spend £1 billion to reduce the nation's carbon footprint?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/oct/06/carbon-capture-project-longannet-collapse
I would give it to India or China in the hope they would put it towards covering their countries in Wind turbines rather than churning out loads of muck from their many coal fired power stations. That would have a far greater impact on the world than anything we do in this country. To combat climate change we need to play as a team and all do our bit but while you have renegades like India, China and the USA with their gas guzzlers then the Earth has no chance of survival and we are all doomed!

C3..........:roll::roll::eek:

Rheghead
07-Oct-11, 19:45
I would give it to India or China in the hope they would put it towards covering their countries in Wind turbines rather than churning out loads of muck from their many coal fired power stations. That would have a far greater impact on the world than anything we do in this country. To combat climate change we need to play as a team and all do our bit but while you have renegades like India, China and the USA with their gas guzzlers then the Earth has no chance of survival and we are all doomed!

C3..........:roll::roll::eek:

If China's exported goods have an embodied carbon footprint which is higher than in the west, does that become attributed to anyone who buys Chinese goods? Should we be all holier than thou and be preaching about China but at the same time happy to be creating such a large demand from Chinese coal mines?

John Little
07-Oct-11, 20:06
Very good point.

Therefore, by that reasoning, the main enemy of green policies is free market capitalism.

secrets in symmetry
07-Oct-11, 23:30
Yes, locally based vanadium flow batteries look a good idea. Perhaps a good use for all those victorian swimming baths that get pulled down?I'm no expert on electrochemistry, but vanadium flow batteries sound good to me. Would it make sense for everyone to have one in their garden for one or more of: heating their house, providing electricity for their house, charging their cars, providing an energy source/sink for balancing the grid?

orkneycadian
08-Oct-11, 13:47
Very good point.

Therefore, by that reasoning, the main enemy of green policies is free market capitalism.

Coupled with the "lemming" approach of buying whatever is wanted, on credit, from the cheapest possible source without any thinking given to the supply chain behind it.

Free market capitalism would be bearable if it were done in a sustainable manner, whereby the would-be capitalists understood the bigger economic picture. But unsustainable and unrestrained free market capitalism will likely be the end of us!

We're Doooooomed!