PDA

View Full Version : red or brown sauce?

bigk
06-Oct-11, 10:21
after making myself a couple of bacon rolls for breakfast this morning i couldnt decide which sauce to have on them...red or brown? so i had one of each and still cant decide which i prefer! would be interesting to find out the percentages of which sauce the orgers use?

John Little
06-Oct-11, 10:26
Tomato ketchup on one side and mustard on the other...

lindsaymcc
06-Oct-11, 10:33
tomato sauce!

jings00
06-Oct-11, 10:38
broon wi bacon

golach
06-Oct-11, 11:09
Got to be brown for me, cannot stand tomato sauce

patsy1
06-Oct-11, 11:57
ketchup !!!

Commore
06-Oct-11, 12:10
French Mustard,

annemarie482
06-Oct-11, 12:21
ketchup!
and its got to be heinz the brantson stuff just aint nice!

bigk
06-Oct-11, 13:11
never gave french mustard a thought with bacon.....will have to try that tomorrow morning then!

Leanne
06-Oct-11, 13:29
Daddies brown :)

kriklah
06-Oct-11, 13:36
ground black pepper for me rather than sauces

morganria
06-Oct-11, 13:39
red wae bacon or sausages but broon wae pork pies

linnie612
06-Oct-11, 15:52
I'm not fussed on either, but bloke likes brown (hp), son likes red (heinz).

Kodiak
06-Oct-11, 15:58
Without a shadow of a Doubt...........Both............A Good Dollop of Brown Sauce First and then a Slightly smaller Dollop of Red Sauce in the Middle. Nom, Nom, Nom.

Sandra_B
06-Oct-11, 16:00
HP, not a big fan of tomato sauce.

shazzap
06-Oct-11, 17:11
I can answer this now. Getting up from an afternoon nap, and finding it's tea time. I couldn't be bothered to make anything else, especially just for myself. So i decided on a bacon butty. I have to say these are better with, an egg.

Cattach
06-Oct-11, 17:27
after making myself a couple of bacon rolls for breakfast this morning i couldnt decide which sauce to have on them...red or brown? so i had one of each and still cant decide which i prefer! would be interesting to find out the percentages of which sauce the orgers use?

Cannot really think why it would interesting but just to keep you happy with your survey put me down for Salad Cream.

teddybear1873
06-Oct-11, 17:50
Nothing on the bacon.

Broon sass on the sassigess.

Tomata sass on e eigg and johnstone's pie.

Leanne
06-Oct-11, 17:51
Red sauce is for ladies and the effeminate...

John Little
06-Oct-11, 17:55
Nah - you ladies just trying to keep a good thing for yourself...

shazzap
06-Oct-11, 18:52
Red sauce is for ladies and the effeminate...

Nah - you ladies just trying to keep a good thing for yourself...

Ketchup, you two. :roll: We live in the age of equal rights. :lol:

John Little
06-Oct-11, 18:59
I must tell Mrs L...

George Brims
06-Oct-11, 19:18
The only thing I want on top of my bacon is more bacon. You can't have too much bacon.

John Little
06-Oct-11, 19:19
The only thing I want on top of my bacon is more bacon. You can't have too much bacon.

Can you get the proper stuff over there???

George Brims
06-Oct-11, 19:28
Yes John, though at significant extra expense and a little trouble. Most US cities (including ours) have a "British shop" selling Tetley and PG Tips and Mars Bars and McVities Digestives, all horribly marked up. Ours stocks very nice bacon from Ireland and sausages made in the US from a British recipe (I'm only allowed those once or twice a year!). Our local one is run by a wee wifie from Glasgow, who has lived here 40 years and still sounds like she just got off the plane.
However we now have a rash of shops called Fresh & Easy Market, a subsidiary of Tesco. They have pretty decent bacon too, and it's not as dear as the wee Glasgow wifie's stuff. We still go to her though out of loyalty and anyway there are things for which she's the only source.

teddybear1873
06-Oct-11, 19:29
Can you get the proper stuff over there???

No you can't, well not in the south east anyway. They tend to call our bacon, ham and we call their ham, gammon. You can't even get good sausages, mainly all either breakfast or Italian sausage.

teddybear1873
06-Oct-11, 19:35
Yes John, though at significant extra expense and a little trouble. Most US cities (including ours) have a "British shop" selling Tetley and PG Tips and Mars Bars and McVities Digestives, all horribly marked up. Ours stocks very nice bacon from Ireland and sausages made in the US from a British recipe (I'm only allowed those once or twice a year!). Our local one is run by a wee wifie from Glasgow, who has lived here 40 years and still sounds like she just got off the plane.
However we now have a rash of shops called Fresh & Easy Market, a subsidiary of Tesco. They have pretty decent bacon too, and it's not as dear as the wee Glasgow wifie's stuff. We still go to her though out of loyalty and anyway there are things for which she's the only source.

I think the South East of the States seem to pretty hard to find any kind of British Foods George. Elsewhere they seem to be easier to get. The only shop I ca get any locally is either World Market or Publix. Just you McVitie's, Oxo, Jam, PG Tips. As for bacon or sausages I have to go to Hilton Head which is 2 hrs drive from me. They are expensive, 4 Scotch Pies - $10, A pack of Irish Bacon -$9.

There is a place up in Michigan called Ackroyd's Scottish Bakery which I intend to try out soon. Going by reviews, It seems to be good.

George Brims
06-Oct-11, 19:56
Our latest and best innovation is an Irish pub that has opened up a few miles away. We have a place called the Crown and Anchor which does passable British pub food too.

I can't stand American bacon. Imagine what a British person would call "streaky" and make it half as lean.

John Little
06-Oct-11, 19:59
George - I get a definite sense you are missing home - you going to retire here?

Or there?

John Little
06-Oct-11, 20:01
Teddybear - Michigan is an awful long way from you for groceries ain't it?

teddybear1873
06-Oct-11, 20:48
Teddybear - Michigan is an awful long way from you for groceries ain't it?

A fair trek John, but they deliver at a reasonable price.

George Brims
06-Oct-11, 21:06
George - I get a definite sense you are missing home - you going to retire here?

Or there?
Oh no I'm not leaving California - the Old Pulteney is CHEAPER here!

gingernut
06-Oct-11, 21:09
HP fruity sauce for me.

DeHaviLand
06-Oct-11, 21:19
I cant for the life of me work out why anyone would put ketchup on bacon. Only HP sauce should be used on such a culinary delight. Ketchup should only ever be used to disguise the taste of the rancid fat that your chips were fried in.

Metalattakk
06-Oct-11, 21:21
Personally I wouldn't tarnish a good bacon roll by putting any kind of sauce on it. It's almost sacrilegious to even contemplate it.

Fresh roll, butter and fine crispy bacon (none of your wishy-washy, limp, half-cooked slevery stuff).

It's what pigs are for.

Edit: DeHaviland - snap! :D

Corrie 3
06-Oct-11, 21:51
Personally I wouldn't tarnish a good bacon roll by putting any kind of sauce on it. It's almost sacrilegious to even contemplate it.

Fresh roll, butter and fine crispy bacon (none of your wishy-washy, limp, half-cooked slevery stuff).;)

It's what pigs are for.

Edit: DeHaviland - snap! :D
Dont forget the bread to be dipped in the bacon fat !!!

C3.......;)

ducati
06-Oct-11, 22:37
no bacon the message you have written blah blah blah

ducati
06-Oct-11, 22:40
Hmm 2 pages, can't be anything worrying anyone then ;)

bigk
15-Oct-11, 22:26
i have actually tried vegetarian bacon and its quite good..different texture mind you but fairly close!...i like the fact that you can now get vegetarian haggis among many other recipes...gone are the days of vegetarians only eating nut roast or salad etc....whats next vegetarian sunday roast now wouldnt that be a good idea?

bigk
15-Oct-11, 22:28
[QU

OTE=ducati;893851]no bacon the message you have written blah blah blah[/QUOTE]
.....if you think what i wrote was 'blah blah blah' you did not have to read it or indeed reply to it.......

ducati
15-Oct-11, 23:34
[QU

OTE=ducati;893851]no bacon the message you have written blah blah blah
.....if you think what i wrote was 'blah blah blah' you did not have to read it or indeed reply to it.......[/QUOTE]

Nope, you misunderstand. My message was too short so I had to write sumink else and inspiration failed.:lol:

bigk
16-Oct-11, 07:44
ah i see so sorry for snarky reply then...

pinkpluggy1
16-Oct-11, 10:26
Tommy sause with Maccaroni and eggy bread... HP with everything else! ooo fancy a bacon butty now nom nom nom!