PDA

View Full Version : tesco in thurso?

sweep
12-Oct-06, 10:15
o/h got chatting to guy from tesco on plane from edinburgh,he was part of building team. on mentioning competition would be coming in asda form to thurso he said tesco had already bought land in thurso. can anyone confirm?

jaykay
12-Oct-06, 12:53
Maybe they are the supermarket comany who are supposed to be interested in the old auction mart site!

Royster1911
12-Oct-06, 16:55
Maybe they are the supermarket comany who are supposed to be interested in the old auction mart site!

Thats what I have heard also.

Buttercup
12-Oct-06, 17:18
Wasn't there talk a few years back about Tesco coming to Thurso (to the mart site) but the council(?)/traders(?) didn't want them?:confused

rfr10
12-Oct-06, 19:15
If they have bought land, I doubt they will get planning permission unless it is just a small store.

jaykay
13-Oct-06, 15:06
If they have bought land, I doubt they will get planning permission unless it is just a small store.
Why would they not get planning permission? I thought that the local councillors were keen to develop the old mart site. It keeps getting mentioned that it would be suitable for an Asda supermarket. Surely if it is suitable for an Asda supermarket it would follow that it must be suitable for a Tesco supermarket!!

changilass
13-Oct-06, 15:12
Having Tesco in Wick and Asda in Thurso is gonna be great, to have both in both towns would be IMHO going too far

rfr10
13-Oct-06, 20:10
Why would they not get planning permission? I thought that the local councillors were keen to develop the old mart site. It keeps getting mentioned that it would be suitable for an Asda supermarket. Surely if it is suitable for an Asda supermarket it would follow that it must be suitable for a Tesco supermarket!!

I've probably mis read something but what I'm saying is that they wont allow planning permission for an Asda and a Tesco in Thurso especially with Tesco already being in Wick.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
13-Oct-06, 20:19
When the competition arrives then its commercial warfare.21 miles means nothin'.

Anne_Mas
17-Oct-06, 15:43
I've probably mis read something but what I'm saying is that they wont allow planning permission for an Asda and a Tesco in Thurso especially with Tesco already being in Wick.

How do you know what they will allow? Why would they not allow an Asda and a Tesco in Thurso. They have an Asda and Tesco in Huntly which is just as small a place as Thurso.