PDA

View Full Version : How unreasonable

henry20
12-Oct-06, 10:05
I have just been in a shop where I overheard a telephone conversation.

The woman phoning was complaining because the premises alarm had gone off in the early hours and woken her up - this must have been annoying.

However, the owner apologised profusely for the upset and explained that he too had been woken to go and turn the alarm off, that it was an insurance requirement to have the alarm and he felt that he had done his upmost to rectify the situation in the quickest time possible.

Now, had I been a resident near the premises, I would have been annoyed to get woken up too, but I would also be grateful that had it been a would be break in, that it wasn't my house that had been the target. Also, how was the woman to know that it hadn't been a genuine burglary (thankfully it was a false alarm). Things could have been so much worse. Thankfully, the police were also on the scene at the time as they were in the area.

Am I the only person that feels relieved that this wasn't the worse case scenario? In a worst case scenario, the owners family could have also been woken up at an unreasonable hour to be told the owner had been fatally attacked after facing the robber. Had this been the case, I don't think the complainer on the phone would've gotten such a pleasant response!

sweetpea
12-Oct-06, 10:11
It's often the case that we don't stop and think that there are 2 sides to everything, instead of thinking about our own gripes. Not enough people put themselves in others' shoes these days. Glad it was a false alarm.

angela5
12-Oct-06, 12:55
I could see this womans point if this was happening all the time. Sounds like it's a one-off and she has nothing better to do..:roll:

cuddlepop
12-Oct-06, 16:15
Where we are there's a few houses that do BB ,which is fine but what is annoying is the car alarms going off.Car owners are usually down the village so cant turn them off which means they go off intermitently until the car realises its not being stolen.
I can understand her annoyence but sometimes you have to put up with alarms.:roll: