PDA

View Full Version : Tattooist in Thurso

Maccy
05-Oct-11, 21:17
Does anyone know anything about the tattoo shop in Thurso that's opening next to bud's and blooms.

PartChimp
05-Oct-11, 23:59
Hi Maccy,

The tattoo shop there should be open very soon (hopefully within the coming week or so).
The guy that's opening it is Antony Dube, he's been tattooing since 1996 and worked in various places all over the world including South Africa, Italy, Spain and more recently in Inverness, Ireland & Wales. I would highly recommend him having been tattooed a number of times by him in Inverness.

I'm pretty sure that it's going to be no appointment necessary, and piercings are also available.
I think there will be an ad in the local paper this week or maybe next with some info on it all too.

:)

Bazeye
06-Oct-11, 01:36
Does he do removals?

LENSMAN
06-Oct-11, 18:03
This sounds like him.
Some tattoos in the gallery.

http://www.kevinskustomtattoos.co.za/antony_dube.html

Bazeye
06-Oct-11, 21:58
Seems to be a bigger selection of tattooes these days. When I got mine all that seemed to be available were the usual panthers, tigers, eagles, red indians, hearts and scrolls and that sort of thing.

Maccy
06-Oct-11, 22:40
This sounds like him.
Some tattoos in the gallery.

http://www.kevinskustomtattoos.co.za/antony_dube.html

Yep thats your man.

Xposin
07-Oct-11, 00:19
Its a well known fact that tattooists who require appointments are far better than walk-ins (i guess thats pretty obvious if you think about it). This may put off alot of people who are serious about their tatts. It wont put me off as i normally judge by seeing their previous work. But from what ive heard so far, this guy is the real deal. So its great for Thurso & the rest of Caithness to finally have someone of his standard bringing this to the area.

Aaldtimer
07-Oct-11, 03:49
I've posted this before on other threads about tattoos. It's from a well respected scientist of Scots birth, who works in the US.

""I'm not too concerned with the aesthetics of tattoos, it's the health risks which worry me...a tattoo is little more than a sterile needle injecting an unsterile metal oxide pigment under the skin...and, in my view, a nasty trick to play on an immune system. Putting a non-native substance into the body triggers an immune response...in rare cases it can trigger an _auto_immune response and then look out...autoimmune responses can't be turned off and they don't go away.

Moreover, most people don't know what questions to ask, such as "What carrier solution do you use for the ink?" Some of the "artists" use ethylene glycol or aldehydes instead of glycerin because the former spreads the ink better. The problem is that those substances...which are toxic/hazardous enough in and of themselves... when combined with the topical alcohol used to sterilise the skin, become synergistic biochemical promoters which can cause cellular mutation in tissues _other_ than the tattoo site.

Additionally, while the needles can be heat sterilised, the pigments themselves _can't_ be owing to their composition...Cadmium, Chromium, Cobalt, Lead, and Mercury are still used in some places and they can be seriously nasty customers...you don't need to be a chemist to know injecting any of them into the body (even subcutaneously) is probably not the most health conscious thing one can do.

People seem to think hepatitis or HIV are the primary risks in tattooing...they're not by a long chalk, they're merely the ones people understand easily...the _real_ danger lies in the less well-known biochemical, physiological risks. Every successful tattoo is a biochemical bullet dodged and every unsuccessful one is life forever changed. In my eyes, it's just not worth it."

Your choice really.:confused

onecalledk
07-Oct-11, 10:27
I've posted this before on other threads about tattoos. It's from a well respected scientist of Scots birth, who works in the US.

""I'm not too concerned with the aesthetics of tattoos, it's the health risks which worry me...a tattoo is little more than a sterile needle injecting an unsterile metal oxide pigment under the skin...and, in my view, a nasty trick to play on an immune system. Putting a non-native substance into the body triggers an immune response...in rare cases it can trigger an _auto_immune response and then look out...autoimmune responses can't be turned off and they don't go away.

Moreover, most people don't know what questions to ask, such as "What carrier solution do you use for the ink?" Some of the "artists" use ethylene glycol or aldehydes instead of glycerin because the former spreads the ink better. The problem is that those substances...which are toxic/hazardous enough in and of themselves... when combined with the topical alcohol used to sterilise the skin, become synergistic biochemical promoters which can cause cellular mutation in tissues _other_ than the tattoo site.

Additionally, while the needles can be heat sterilised, the pigments themselves _can't_ be owing to their composition...Cadmium, Chromium, Cobalt, Lead, and Mercury are still used in some places and they can be seriously nasty customers...you don't need to be a chemist to know injecting any of them into the body (even subcutaneously) is probably not the most health conscious thing one can do.

People seem to think hepatitis or HIV are the primary risks in tattooing...they're not by a long chalk, they're merely the ones people understand easily...the _real_ danger lies in the less well-known biochemical, physiological risks. Every successful tattoo is a biochemical bullet dodged and every unsuccessful one is life forever changed. In my eyes, it's just not worth it."

Your choice really.:confused

Many, many people have more poisions in their bathroom cabinet and use them daily. Toothpaste has fluoride in it, is used by millions of people every day and its a poision. Tattoos are a choice, many other chemicals that are harmful to the human body are popped into lots of things that people are unaware of. It would surely be down to the individual who wants a tattoo to check out what the tattooist uses, from needles to ink. I have seen many tattoos done with poor quality ink. They are permanent so surely people would check PRIOR to the tattoo. The responsiblity is always with the individual.

The scientist in question in your statement appears to have decided he doesnt like tattoos and is validating this. Its subjective. I am sure there are other "scientists" out there who would minimise the risks and put the words in a different order.

I dont think tattooing is going to go away any time soon ......

K

Dadie
07-Oct-11, 11:25
Tattooing has been done throughout the ages at least as far back as the egyptian times as body art and beforehand as tribal markings(trattooed ice age mans remains have been found).
The methods-piercing the skin and substances-inks have evolved over time.
To the modern methods and needles and inks and tattoos are back in "fashion" and more and more people are getting them done.
Its not my thing as I cannot think of anything I would want permanently etched on me, but, can see the appeal of something personal that means something important to the person being tattoooed being there for the lifetime of that person.
The only thing that worrys me is those people that go on a whim and just get "something/anything" without having thought about it.
That worrys me a bit, if its a walk in without appointment place.
But im sure there are a lot of people who have the artwork they want well thought out and just cannot get anyone to do the work without forking out a fortune running up and down the road(especially if its a big piece or on a bit near a bone and hurts more)for lots of sessions to another artist whos work they like....so are eagerly awaiting the shop opening!

zebedy
07-Oct-11, 21:00
Its a well known fact that tattooists who require appointments are far better than walk-ins (i guess thats pretty obvious if you think about it). This may put off alot of people who are serious about their tatts. It wont put me off as i normally judge by seeing their previous work. But from what ive heard so far, this guy is the real deal. So its great for Thurso & the rest of Caithness to finally have someone of his standard bringing this to the area.

Antony is the real deal. He's done a lot of the ink you see in my band NoExitWound. He is a gentleman and will treat you all well.

Koi
07-Oct-11, 23:47
Tattooing has been done throughout the ages at least as far back as the egyptian times as body art and beforehand as tribal markings(trattooed ice age mans remains have been found).
The methods-piercing the skin and substances-inks have evolved over time.
To the modern methods and needles and inks and tattoos are back in "fashion" and more and more people are getting them done.
Its not my thing as I cannot think of anything I would want permanently etched on me, but, can see the appeal of something personal that means something important to the person being tattoooed being there for the lifetime of that person.
The only thing that worrys me is those people that go on a whim and just get "something/anything" without having thought about it.
That worrys me a bit, if its a walk in without appointment place.
But im sure there are a lot of people who have the artwork they want well thought out and just cannot get anyone to do the work without forking out a fortune running up and down the road(especially if its a big piece or on a bit near a bone and hurts more)for lots of sessions to another artist whos work they like....so are eagerly awaiting the shop opening!

I share your concerns Dadie. I have 3 and planning a fourth if i can find the right design that sings out to me as my other 3 have done. Took 6 months for one and only 20 minutes for another lol. I've designed all mine and planned them all. I do look forward to the shop opening so i can go in and ask about his work, ink etc before perhaps arranging a date for my fourth. I've gone to inverness for all of mine so far and don't mind going for this one if i'm not compeltly happy with this guy.
One of my partner's friends got one of his tattoos done on a whim. To me it seems that since it is permant and the whole idea is that it is really, then why on a whim would you get one. How can you be sure that it is really the one you want? It's a concern that on a whim can happen alot with places with no appointments.

secrets in symmetry
08-Oct-11, 00:04
The scientist in question in your statement appears to have decided he doesnt like tattoos and is validating this. Its subjective. I am sure there are other "scientists" out there who would minimise the risks and put the words in a different order. Absolute rubbish! Have you ever offered an opinion on this forum that isn't tainted with moronic postmodernist crap?

How do you live your life in an objective world?

Bank Manager: "Onecalledk, you have an overdraft of a thousand pounds. You can't withdraw any money."

Onecalledk: "That's subjective. We make our own truth. You are an illusion, my truth is that I have a million pounds in my account. I want to withdraw half a million of that million."

Bank Manager: (faints)

I've previously explained why your nonsense about poisons in your bathroom is just that. Nonsense.

Metalattakk
08-Oct-11, 02:43
I've previously explained why your nonsense about poisons in your bathroom is just that. Nonsense.

She doesn't care. She has snake oil to sell.

orkneycadian
08-Oct-11, 13:38
Could branding not be adopted as an alternative form of "self marking"? No worries over poisonous metals or getting aids, as the branding iron will be pretty sterile. Works fine with coos so no reason it wont work on humans. In fact, searching for images in Google of Human Branding shows plenty!

secrets in symmetry
08-Oct-11, 16:10
She doesn't care. She has snake oil to sell.So I am led to believe. Does she keep a herd of snakes in her grass for the purpose of extracting their oil herself, or does she import the stuff directly from the High Council of Orion? If she squeezes her own, what does she do with the skins? Is this a case for Environmental Health?

Could branding not be adopted as an alternative form of "self marking"? No worries over poisonous metals or getting aids, as the branding iron will be pretty sterile. Works fine with coos so no reason it wont work on humans. In fact, searching for images in Google of Human Branding shows plenty!I don't think branding irons can produce sufficiently fine detail, and how do you get colour with them?

bigk
27-Oct-11, 13:53
hey yh he is sapossed to be really good he prises tattoos by size and detail which may be better than gettin charged by the hour

weezer 316
27-Oct-11, 14:11
Absolute rubbish! Have you ever offered an opinion on this forum that isn't tainted with moronic postmodernist crap?

How do you live your life in an objective world?

Bank Manager: "Onecalledk, you have an overdraft of a thousand pounds. You can't withdraw any money."

Onecalledk: "That's subjective. We make our own truth. You are an illusion, my truth is that I have a million pounds in my account. I want to withdraw half a million of that million."

Bank Manager: (faints)

Ahem..........

God? Ring a bell?

Hypocrite

secrets in symmetry
27-Oct-11, 14:28
Ahem..........

God? Ring a bell?

HypocriteHmm, that's the second post from you today that I can make no sense of....

theone
27-Oct-11, 19:11
Many, many people have more poisions in their bathroom cabinet and use them daily. Toothpaste has fluoride in it, is used by millions of people every day and its a poision.

"Everything is poison, there is poison in everything. Only the dose makes a thing not a poison." Paracelsus

If you are inferring that tootpaste is poisonous in any reasonable respect, you are simply wrong.

P.S. Stay away from that air, it's got oxygen in it.