PDA

View Full Version : Bus tours to Orkney

teddybear1873
05-Oct-11, 04:00
Does anyone know what the bus tours, including the ferry to Orkney cost? It's for 4 passengers and I'm looking into going just after the new year.

It's been a long time since I made the trip there so I'm out of touch. I don't know if it's best or cheaper to take the ferry from Scrabster or John O Groats.

Thanks folkies.

orkneycadian
05-Oct-11, 10:11
I think you will be hard pressed to find any bus tours at that time of the year. They only really run in the tourist season. Your best bet would be a private charter, and for 4 people, a taxi charter will likely be the most cost effective rather than chartering a bus.

Not a lot moves at the back end of New Year as everyone is either skint, knackered, hungover or a combination of all 3!

p.s. - Your cheapest ferry to Orkney will be www.pentlandferries.co.uk unless you are an island resident

David Banks
05-Oct-11, 16:13
I recall a thread bemoaning the lack of tourism initiatives for Caithness -- compared with what is available for Orkney. Are their bus or mini-bus tours of Caithness available in the summer and fall months? If not, I think it would be a wonderful idea (if I may be so bold as to make a suggestion).

A few years ago, I took my 3 Canadian kids (adults) to see my old haunts, spending most of our time in Caithness. We had only a couple of days in Edinburgh and I am so glad we took a bus tour of the city - the one and only bus tour I have ever taken. All of us, me included, enjoyed it. Although I had lived there for 10 years, I would not have done well with the "new" one-way streets and parking regulations.

Eilanboy
05-Oct-11, 16:30
I recall a thread bemoaning the lack of tourism initiatives for Caithness -- compared with what is available for Orkney. Are their bus or mini-bus tours of Caithness available in the summer and fall months? If not, I think it would be a wonderful idea (if I may be so bold as to make a suggestion).

A few years ago, I took my 3 Canadian kids (adults) to see my old haunts, spending most of our time in Caithness. We had only a couple of days in Edinburgh and I am so glad we took a bus tour of the city - the one and only bus tour I have ever taken. All of us, me included, enjoyed it. Although I had lived there for 10 years, I would not have done well with the "new" one-way streets and parking regulations.

Anumber of people have tried to set up a Caithness Tour Business with out success.It would appear there was no demand for it which is surprising