PDA

View Full Version : hard kiwi fruit

bigk
04-Oct-11, 10:51
just bought some kiwi fruit and i could actually use them as golf balls....i'v been told to put them in a bag with a banana to ripen/soften them.....anyone else heard of this?.....any other ideas on how to make them eatable within the next three weeks?....

_Ju_
04-Oct-11, 11:32
just bought some kiwi fruit and i could actually use them as golf balls....i'v been told to put them in a bag with a banana to ripen/soften them.....anyone else heard of this?.....any other ideas on how to make them eatable within the next three weeks?....
Banana produces methane ( or some other -ane or -ene) which accelerates ripening. However, greener Kiwi is more tart and Prefer it to ripe kiwi. Try one. You might like it.

bigk
04-Oct-11, 11:52
they taste nice but are as hard as dogs b...s lol,i will try the banana thing to see if it works thanks.

starfish
04-Oct-11, 12:10
banana do work on tomatoes in a bag had loads of green ones which ripen ok

Beat Bug
04-Oct-11, 12:54
You could also just keep them in a bowl in the kitchen. They should ripen of their own accord.

Bazeye
04-Oct-11, 13:37
Next time give 'em a poke before you buy 'em.

_Ju_
04-Oct-11, 13:46
Next time give 'em a poke before you buy 'em.

And this, Ladies and gentleman, is why buying avocados, tomatoes, melons and kiwi is so hit and miss here! :( Please do not squeeze the fruit. It ruins the fruit. If it is not ripe, it will get ripe with time and patience.

MrChow
04-Oct-11, 15:41
God knows how many time your fruit's been poked before it makes it into your basket.

George Brims
04-Oct-11, 21:23
Banana produces methane ( or some other -ane or -ene) which accelerates ripening. However, greener Kiwi is more tart and Prefer it to ripe kiwi. Try one. You might like it.
It's ethylene.

Dadie
04-Oct-11, 22:09
depending on how many you plan to eat at the same time...
Put some in a paperbag with some bananas (they will ripen first)
some in the fruit bowl (other side of the room from the bananas)
and some in the fridge for later...(take them out once the ones on the paper bag are eaten or later)
Dont over poke or squish them or you will end up with yucky bits on unripe fruit whick is no use!
But for an alternitive use try bunging loads of them in vodka with sugar for a while then straining(muslin then coffee filters) for a kiwi flavoured drink...discard them when they lose their colour!
Maybe not exactly not eatable in the true sense of the word....but drinkable!

thebigman
05-Oct-11, 09:44
Buy your fruit and veg out of Lidl where it is much more likely to be ready to eat, IMHO

jock leith
05-Oct-11, 10:06
Put them in the airing cupboard in a plastic bag,will soften up in 10days

oldmarine
05-Oct-11, 21:54
Some good responses here, but being not an expert on this subject I will back off.