PDA

View Full Version : A Bridge Street Gem

bagpuss
03-Oct-11, 21:50
I heard with dismay that Cormack the jeweller closed its doors for the last time on Saturday 1st October. While I wish Elaine a long and very happy (if premature) retirement, I'm saddened. Every time I've been in the county I've always come away with something for myself- and gifts for my friends. They've always looked forward to those beautifully giftwrapped boxes. Now before anyone takes me to task for not shopping locally in Hampstead, could I point out that small independent jewellers offer things you don't find in every single chain store.

The men in Wick will now be stuck at Christmas and birthdays- as I recall lots of them diving in there at the last moment to get their gifts for their wives and daughters.

So- my question to you is - do you have a particular favourite item bought there? I heard one lady say how she bought a gold bracelet when she started her first job- with her first pay packet.

orkneycadian
03-Oct-11, 22:47
Radio Orkney reporting this morning that 3 on street business in Orkney are closing last week / this week.

Wonder if Tesco stock jewellery.....

Hibeechick
04-Oct-11, 10:20
There's still Cameo the jewelers!

Isn't it funny how a thread which started asking about your favourite piece of jewellery bought from Cormacks before it closed has once again turned into a thread about larger chain stores and their prices compared to locally run independent retailers? A shame to see another shop shut yes, but can't really see how the "T" word could possibly be to blame this time.

Back on topic...I have a few items that I have from Cormacks. A ring which I got for christmas many years ago with a set of ruby stones. Then I got a necklace when I was living in Edinburgh which I wanted some stones added to. Cormacks set two emeralds in to it for me.....och and there's a whole load of other bits and pieces over the years too which my Nan has bought and she's given to me.

xxx

poppett
04-Oct-11, 18:58
A gold bangle bought for my 16th birthday came from Cormacks.

DEEKER
04-Oct-11, 19:14
although it is sad to see a quality jewellers close in the town where i live, i always try to shop locally, only problem being when i tried to buy a solitaire diamond engagement ring for my beloved last year and couldn't get one locally in any of the jewelers,although this is a very popular choice, i'm lead to believe. so had a mad dash to inverness of an afternoon to aquire one before they closed.if they had this type of ring in stock locally the jewellers and i would have both been happy.

secrets in symmetry
04-Oct-11, 23:47
The Groat said on Friday that Elaine was planning to sell the business - presumably as a going concern? That suggests to me that the wake being born in this thread is a wee bit premature....

dunbrake
05-Oct-11, 22:17
Elaine has had a sale on since weeks, most of the stock has now been sold, she is now planning on selling the premises.