PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Court?

John Little
02-Oct-11, 09:06
Neither of us play tennis but there is a really nice house in Somerset which we are interested in with a bit of land for a largish garden. The trouble is that it is a 1930s house and it has a tennis court; the house and the court (which is a real professional job) were obviously built together.

My wife is a very keen gardener and the tennis court takes up one third of the land which would be her garden. She makes no bones about it but would, if we bought the place, get some blokes in with jack hammers and skip the lot. She'd bring in a few loads of topsoil and plant stuff.

I have a real problem because I can't stop looking at the house and the court as a sort of time capsule; they sort of go together and I'd be very reluctant to dig up the court because as a piece of history they seem to form a single artefact.

When we had a look at it earlier this year there were some locals playing on the court and the Estate Agent was happy about it - it seems to be a sort of custom with them. But we would not want people walking into our garden to play tennis...

I wonder if digging it up might cause bad feeling.

So three issues - would you get rid of it or do something else with it?

Would you worry about the history aspect?

Would you care about what the neighbours had been doing before you arrived?

pmcd
02-Oct-11, 09:32
John - just ponder the thought of the Memsahib glaring at some Hooray Henrys playing tennis on what would have been her fabulous delphinium area. Also consider that those who play tennis aren't short of a bob or two, and might at least afford the bus fare to Frome or wherever to spend time at the municipal tennis courts there. Then consider that a well-loved garden is a love affair for those who care for it, a mirror of nature, a haven of peace, an attraction for many, a conversation piece for passers by, a joyous riot of colour, growth, fecundity - a demi-paradise which is nothing less than a votive offering of thanks to a heavenly being who inspired and created this panoply of shapes and varied hues.

Tennis, on the other hand, is two chinless wonders going "pock....pock....pock.....sorry!" all day....

John Little
02-Oct-11, 09:38
My wife says to tell you 'I love you'

She's also laughing like a drain..

The place is a very good price because it's very run down. The court ain't though

gollach
02-Oct-11, 09:43
...the bus fare to Frome...

Frome is lovely. You'd be doing them all a favour by digging up the tennis court.

orkneycadian
02-Oct-11, 12:42
You could always farm possums on it. Aussies would be delighted to sent you a "starter kit"

gleeber
02-Oct-11, 12:57
If I were an extremist this is the sort of wrong I would pounce on. I have a vision of England during the 20s and 30s formed by P.G. Wodehouse and this house is a time capsule from those times. It would be criminal to destroy it as it now stands.
No doubt some fool will start up a facebook campaign to foyle your wifes destructive plans John but dont bother about that. Apparently no one pays any attention to them anyway.

squidge
02-Oct-11, 13:09
Houses are made to be lived in. A run down house is sad so if the price of bringing laughter and happiness and love to the house is to get rid of the tennis court then I would do just that. If you are worried about the opinion of the neighbours then have a farewell to the tennis court tournament, a party and a few laughs. Im sure it will be fine.

John Little
02-Oct-11, 14:36
You could always farm possums on it. Aussies would be delighted to sent you a "starter kit"

No - I would have to go for Canadian possums. There is an obtuse and artless appeal to them for some people.

John Little
02-Oct-11, 14:38
If I were an extremist this is the sort of wrong I would pounce on. I have a vision of England during the 20s and 30s formed by P.G. Wodehouse and this house is a time capsule from those times. It would be criminal to destroy it as it now stands.
No doubt some fool will start up a facebook campaign to foyle your wifes destructive plans John but dont bother about that. Apparently no one pays any attention to them anyway.

You are right Gleeber - over 800 million users and every one of them a complete numpty.

Sad world we live in eh?

Gronnuck
03-Oct-11, 08:20
The art of compromise - let SWMBO bring in the jack hammers and lift the tennis court, bring in loads of topsoil and plant . . . . . grass. Create a croquet lawn. I'm sure P.G. Wodehouse would approve.

NLP
03-Oct-11, 10:11
Keep the tennis court and fill it with flower pots, best of both worlds.

_Ju_
03-Oct-11, 11:00
My wife is a very keen gardener and the tennis court takes up one third of the land which would be her garden. She makes no bones about it but would, if we bought the place, get some blokes in with jack hammers and skip the lot. She'd bring in a few loads of topsoil and plant stuff.

If you don't turn it into a Garden, someone else will probably build another house ontop of the Tennis court and turn a quick buck.

John Little
03-Oct-11, 20:53
Thankyou folks - you have focussed my mind. If by any remote chance we get the house then the tennis court is History....

orkneycadian
03-Oct-11, 22:48
You could always set up a domestic scale nuclear power plant on it? And prove to ywindy that there is life after oil without windmills!