PDA

View Full Version : Tartan Army Soldiers in violent exchanges

willowbankbear
11-Oct-06, 16:15
Scotland fans injured in attack

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42187000/jpg/_42187660_scotlandfanspa203.jpg Scotland fans in Independence Square in Kiev

Several Scotland fans have been injured in Kiev after an attack by a gang of about 100 local youths.
They were assaulted in the city square while enjoying the build-up to Scotland's Euro 2008 qualifying match against Ukraine.
The incident took place at Independence Square on Tuesday evening, according to the Scottish Football Association.
Some of the fans were treated for broken bones and cuts following the attack.
After the "entirely unexpected" incident, the Scottish FA has advised fans to be careful in the city, before and after the match and to avoid further provocation.
SFA security adviser Derek Kirkwood said: "The Scotland fans were absolutely magnificent, in that they did not react to the violence or provocation.
"They chose to walk away from the scene rather than get involved and their behaviour was exemplary." Almost 3,000 Scotland fans are expected to attend the match.

scotsboy
11-Oct-06, 18:39
They must have been part of the UEFA Peace Keeping Core, rather than Tartan Army eh.........surely an Army would fight back if attacked.

JAWS
11-Oct-06, 19:49
What can I say. This almost ranks with the attempt by certain sections of the press and certain publicity seeking Politicians to turn the minor misbehaviour of one or two silly intoxicated English fans during the last World Cup into a major International Incident.

The Tartan Army, by all accounts, behaved impeccably. Not only were they the totally innocent victims but, when attacked, refused to be drawn into a confrontation. I can only admire their good behaviour and extreme self control.

What puzzles me is why on earth the Scottish FA, a complete bunch of Numpties if ever I saw one, simply seem intent on outdoing the English FA as an example of extreme stupidity.

The demand they make of Scottish Fans is that they should, "avoid further provocation!"
Further Provocation? That would imply to me that the Tartan Army was guilty of some "provocation" in the first place.
Just what Dream World are they living in to arrive at that conclusion?

Being English I have a right, if not a duty, to poke fun at the Scotland Team and tease the Scottish Supporters but even I draw the line at your own FA behave in the same way.

willowbankbear
11-Oct-06, 19:55
Aye we ken what ye mean Jaws, SFA well known for sweepin things like that under the carpet, "We`re good, we`re tartan army, we never get in trouble"
Aye right.
On a sad note, Scotland 0 Ukraine 2:~(
On a good note, Croatia 2 England 0:lol:

JAWS
11-Oct-06, 21:40
Aye we ken what ye mean Jaws, SFA well known for sweepin things like that under the carpet, "We`re good, we`re tartan army, we never get in trouble"
Aye right.
On a sad note, Scotland 0 Ukraine 2:~(
On a good note, Croatia 2 England 0:lol:Only one problem with England having lost, weeks and weeks of "If only Beckham -- !"
Even I am in danger of throwing up at the prospect of that!

Cedric Farthsbottom III
11-Oct-06, 21:48
Was sitting in Glasgow Queen Street,had been to Ayrshire for a visit.Suddenly all this flash photography started.Aye,aye I thought a celebrity has just arrived in the station.

Nope.Wee Japanese tourists taking photos of the Tartan Army coming off the Aberdeen Train to get to Hampden.An unbelievable sight,but then when a French support on Saturday applauds the Tartan Army leaving Hampden on Saturday wit can ye say.:D :D