PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me?

cuddlepop
11-Oct-06, 16:03
We were down in Glasgow and had sometime to kill so Mr C wanted to check out this car in a garage that he had previously bought a car from and felt he had a good deal.
Now the car was a 01 plate the road tax had just expired ,there was only 44 000 on the clock,in emaculate condition.When the guy try to start it up it wouldn't.The car alarm just kept going off.It wouldn't even start with a jump start.
After what seemed like ages they decided it had a dodgy battery and a faulty connection,which would be replaced and fixed.
I want nothing more to do with them as I feel they should check there stock.Mr C thinks its ok and too carry on negotiating .
What do you think?:confused

hobbes1962
11-Oct-06, 16:06
I think that if it won't start before you buy it when just looking then its not worth it. There could be no end of problems down the line. I certainly didn't buy the car I once looked at which wouldn't start when I arrived (on appointment) to look at it.

cuddlepop
11-Oct-06, 16:34
Thats what i think but I'm being accused of being irrational:roll:

Dreadnought
11-Oct-06, 16:53
I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

mareng
11-Oct-06, 16:59
You live in Skye and are contemplating buying a car from a dealer in Glasgow that you have doubts over???????

Run fast, run far!

cuddlepop
11-Oct-06, 17:06
Yeah I know but its madness to buy a car in Skye its so expensive and Inverness is just as bad.All our cars have been bought down in Glasgow and we've lived here over twenty years.

George Brims
11-Oct-06, 21:29
If a dealer has a lot of cars, sometimes one will sit for a long time without being run, and the battery will give up. I was recently told by a guy who tows cars for a living that he gets calls from people who have been away on holiday and find their car won't start. He claimed many modern cars, especially the luxury ones with GPS, XM radio etc etc, will suffer total battery discharge in under a week if left static.

Mind you the alarm going off and jump starting not working sounds to me like another problem. Remember that people selling cars very often know absolutely nothing about them! Last year they were selling windows, next year it might be carpet....

If you buy the car make the deal contingent on having it inspected by the AA or another reputable mechanic. I once bought a car from a salesmane called Dan Straight (I'm not kidding) and when I took it for a test drive it shoogled like the Wick-Inverness train and made a horrible noise at the rear end when I got up to slightly over the speed limit (all right about 85!). He sold me the car on the promise it would be fixed by the time my cheque cleared and I picked it up. He got in big trouble with his boss as they had to put a new set of tyres on it and replace all the shocks and some suspension buishings and align the wheels.

Get the promise in writing!

cuddlepop
12-Oct-06, 13:53
thanks sids,think i've convinced him to leave it alone.:roll:

cuddlepop
12-Oct-06, 14:00
George its disgusting the condition there allowed to sell there cars in.My brother's a mechanic and some of the story 's he tells are eneogh to make your blood boil.The bigger the company the poorer the sevice tends to be the norm.[disgust]

saxovtr
12-Oct-06, 14:13
if you ask me the immobiliser was playing up,wether he knew it was or not,these can randommy play up,it looks like you got the luck of the draw!!