PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know the oldest company still in going in Caithness?

teddybear1873
01-Oct-11, 16:31
My wife asked me this a few days ago and I'm scratching my napper to find out. Has to be a Caithness business.

Mosser
01-Oct-11, 16:53
My wife asked me this a few days ago and I'm scratching my napper to find out. Has to be a Caithness business.

Not absolutely certain but John Hood & Son Sculptors in Wick was founded in 1820

Mosser

orkneycadian
01-Oct-11, 16:56
Tesco?????

Lingland
01-Oct-11, 17:28
Maybe the woodyard in Wick think its been around a while

teddybear1873
01-Oct-11, 17:46
Tesco?????

Probably will be in the year 2111.

annemarie482
01-Oct-11, 19:13
had a quick google as you caught my interest too!

no answer im afraid, but did find out this interesting bit of info!

https://www.facebook.com/haygarthguns?sk=info

states that C H Haygarth & Sons Gun and Rifle Makers (dunnet) are scotlands oldest rifle makers! (didnt know that)

here's their website.

http://www.haygarthguns.co.uk/

teddybear1873
01-Oct-11, 19:18
had a quick google as you caught my interest too!

no answer im afraid, but did find out this interesting bit of info!

https://www.facebook.com/haygarthguns?sk=info

states that C H Haygarth & Sons Gun and Rifle Makers (dunnet) are scotlands oldest rifle makers! (didnt know that)

here's their website.

http://www.haygarthguns.co.uk/

Pretty hard to find. I did have a wee look to see if it is maybe a hotel, but that's out I think.

annemarie482
01-Oct-11, 19:39
just had a thought, could it be.......

the old pulteney distillery?!
since 1826

http://www.oldpulteney.com/home.php

teddybear1873
01-Oct-11, 19:40
just had a thought, could it be.......

the old pulteney distillery?!
since 1826

http://www.oldpulteney.com/home.php

Close. John Hood & Son 1820

annemarie482
01-Oct-11, 19:44
Not absolutely certain but John Hood & Son Sculptors in Wick was founded in 1820

Mosser

think your winning so far!!

"Est. 1820 John Hood is one of the longest established businesses in the far north, having served Caithness, Sutherland and Ross-shire for almost 200 years."

http://www.johnhood.co.uk/

annemarie482
01-Oct-11, 20:37
its bugging me now!
thought it's might have been the john o groat journal but na 1825 :(

teddybear1873
01-Oct-11, 20:40
its bugging me now!

Tried that and failed Anne.

sids
01-Oct-11, 22:36
Probably the Sinclairs' lairdship.

gleeber
01-Oct-11, 22:54
John Sinclairs grandfather was the first name grabber and he only goes back to the 1940s when they were rewarded a hereditary title because Archibald Sinclair was on Churchills war cabinet. No doubt their business expertise goes back much further though. :roll:

orkneycadian
02-Oct-11, 12:18
Probably will be in the year 2111.

Good lord know, will happen long before then! They don't need to be around for a long time to be oldest - They just need to put the other older businesses to the wall and then they can claim the crown! The rate its happening over here, I guess about next July!

Mosser
02-Oct-11, 17:30
its bugging me now!

Na, the Groat was 1836, same as Sutherland's wood yard

teddybear1873
02-Oct-11, 17:57
Seems as though John Hood & Son is the oldest business. I need to call my sister on this one, she knows everything about everyone.

thirsaloon
02-Oct-11, 18:45
I reckon it is the Sinclair family, but could be wrong. I have seen and handled estate records going back to the late 1600s. I have also worked through records to do with leasing the river, farms etc all under their name.

Mystical Potato Head
02-Oct-11, 19:05
Good lord know, will happen long before then! They don't need to be around for a long time to be oldest - They just need to put the other older businesses to the wall and then they can claim the crown! The rate its happening over here, I guess about next July!

Why not get the boringly repetitve Tesco in Orkney chip of your shoulder and actually contribute an answer to a question,without sarcasm,just for once.No smart ass comments,just a genuine attempt to be helpful.Too much to ask,i know.

teddybear1873
02-Oct-11, 19:17
Talked to my sister. She may think it could be the Wick Laundry but is not sure of the date of establishment. Anyone know?

sids
02-Oct-11, 20:04
Talked to my sister. She may think it could be the Wick Laundry but is not sure of the date of establishment. Anyone know?

The John O'Groats Steam Laundry in Newton Road closed years ago and has been demolished.

The Wick Laundry in Louisburgh St closed in the Sixties.

teddybear1873
02-Oct-11, 20:10
The John O'Groats Steam Laundry in Newton Road closed years ago and has been demolished.

She did mention that McAllans does it somehow and it's still goes through the Wick Laundry. Don't ask me why or how. I'm just going by what she said.

sids
02-Oct-11, 21:11
There's a new laundry at the Camps, owned by Jocky Sutherland I think.

poppett
02-Oct-11, 22:02
My bet would be with Thuraloon and the Sinclair Family Trust farm at Thurso East, the fisheries, shooting lodges at Altnabreac and Dalnawillan also ownership of the Ulbster Arms in Halkirk.

sids
02-Oct-11, 22:44
My bet would be with Thuraloon.

We can't all be that clever.

sheilapl
03-Oct-11, 08:02
What about Johnstons Bakery or Sinclairs Shoe Shop in Thurso, not suer how long its been going but its a fair time

Mosser
03-Oct-11, 19:40

It only came into existence in 1926, founded by Percy McGhan, it was formerly the Temperance Hall opened in 1840

Bobinovich
03-Oct-11, 19:47
...Sinclairs Shoe Shop in Thurso, not suer how long its been going but its a fair time

Don Sinclair's was established in 1882 according to their logo.

thirsaloon
03-Oct-11, 20:06
Don Sinclair's was established in 1882 according to their logo.

Bobinovich is right with the date. They are the second oldest in Thurso under the same family.

joxville
03-Oct-11, 21:30
Johnston's Bakery has been in business under the Johnston family since 5th May 1950, although I believe it was run as a bakery for 10 years previously by someone else. I worked for them at the time of their 50th Anniversary, which was on the same day as my 35th birthday.

almo
04-Oct-11, 00:48
Johnston's Bakery has been in business under the Johnston family since 5th May 1950, although I believe it was run as a bakery for 10 years previously by someone else. I worked for them at the time of their 50th Anniversary, which was on the same day as my 35th birthday.
Does that make you 24 then?

thirsaloon
04-Oct-11, 10:24

It was a bakery prior to the previous owners and went by the name The St. Clair Bakery, I have a photograph of the staff, I imagine taken around the 1930s. I think Johnston still has a "St Clair Bakery" sign facing on to Sinclair Street.

Gleber2
04-Oct-11, 13:58
Interesting that Hood and Sons has been around for so long. For many years it was Hood and Sutherland, my grandfather being the Sutherland partner. He and his family left Wick in 1927 to open the Thurso branch in Princess Street.