PDA

View Full Version : Expectant woman was kicked, it was alleged

Nwicker60
01-Oct-11, 13:27
Boyfriend says he tried to protect her

A THURSO man claimed he tried to shield his pregnant partner after her ex-boyfriend aimed at kick at her in a local housing scheme.
Paul Crossley said that he wasn’t able to prevent Liam Henderson’s foot making contact with Ashley MacPhee’s stomach but was able to minimise the force of the impact, by placing his hand in front of it.
Wick Sheriff Court heard two conflicting versions, this week, of the confrontation near a garage complex in Ormlie Road, on August 29. Henderson (24) of Trostan Road, Thurso, denied assaulting, Miss Macphee.
Miss MacPhee (20) of Ormlie Road, Thurso, said that she was heading to Fraser’s shop with Mr Crossley, in the early evening, when they observed Henderson, with whom she had previously been in a relationship with. It ended in February of this year, but "not amicably". Crossley, she said, had a brick and a bottle of cider at his feet..
Miss MacPhee said that Henderson challenged Mr Crossley to fight but her boyfriend did not take him up on it.
She went on: “Then Henderson punched me in the head and attempted to kick me. Paul put his hand in front of me, so the kick only connected a little bit. I was petrified, because I was five-and-a-half months pregnant.” Miss MacPhee added that she went to hospital, later, to have her baby checked out.
Cross-examined by solicitor, Ian Innes, Miss MacPhee denied lying and said: “Just because I don’t like him (Henderson) doesn’t mean I am going to tell lies against him.”
Giving evidence, Henderson (24) of Trostan Road, Thurso, said that as he was making his way through the garage area, Mr Crossley and Miss MacPhee appeared and “began screaming abuse at him”. The accused said that his mother had advised him to phone here if there was any more trouble, and he dialled her, so she could listen to it.
Henderson continued: “There was a heated argument, then Ashley slapped me. I didn’t react because I knew she was pregnant and I would never do anything to harm and unborn baby.”
Henderson denied having a bottle of cider with him at the time.
Referring to the history of trouble between Henderson and Ashley, the accused’s mother, Mrs Sandra Henderson, confirmed she had told her son to phone her if there was any further difficulty.
She said it was difficult to hear properly at first, but heard a shout-“Hit him...hit him” and Liam saying “You would love me to hit you, so you could go to the police. Ashley said she was going to the police to get Liam charged with assault.”
Mrs Henderson described the evidence that her son had hit Miss MacPhee as “all lies” and added that Miss MacPhee and Mr Crossley were “making this up”. Mrs Henderson added that Liam would never have hit Miss MacPhee if there was a possibility her baby was his.
Senior fiscal depute, David Barclay, asked Mrs Henderson: “Are you here today to try to put a positive spin on things to help your son?”
Mrs Henderson: “No-I am telling the truth.”
Sheriff Andrew Berry found the charge against Henderson, not proven.