PDA

View Full Version : Chaos at Reids Chippy

Kodiak
01-Oct-11, 12:44
Reids Chippy reopened yesterday so Mrs Kodiak and I thought it would be a good idea to try them out as they were always a good chippy.

First impression was good, two doors, one to go in then go through the shop and exit the 2nd one. So I went in and it turns out you have to give your order as soon as you go in to the assistant at the till. Then once you have given your order then you have to pay upfront. You are then given a receipt with an order number on it.

You then go further into the shop and wait until you Order number is called. Not a bad I dea I thought, but as time went on I changed my mind.

At the back of the counter they had plenty of staff, one taking orders 4 or 5 doing the cooking and 2 putting up the orders. The only thing was it was like a episode of "Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares" as hardly any orders were getting out.

After I had been standing for 30 Minutes I asked how long my order would be, I was advsed that they were waiting on one part of my prder it it would be ready in 5 Minutes. 15 Minutes later and still no order and the shop was crowded with people waiting for orders.

I was just about to ask again when one lady handed her receipt back and said she had waited long enough and she was going. She was so angry she wouldn't even accept her money that she had paid. I waited a further 5 Minutes and then asked again and was told that that what I had been waiting was now ready but the first part had been given to someone else and I would have to wait 5 more minutes for that.

After about 5 minutes there was a ruch of activity and orders started flying out. Goody I thought as the number next to mine was called out. But no my number was skipped over and they kept on calling out numbers until I had been by-passed by at least 10.

Then suddenly I heard them call my Number being called, I admit I was just about to ask for my money back as I had now been waiting 65 minutes, I collected my food and out the door. I had just got out of the shop when my Mobile phone rang. It was Mrs Kodiak asking if I was allright as she was worried since I had been so long.

I do not know who thought it was a good idea to have this numbering system put in but it simply did not work, at least last night it did not work. By the time I arrived home I was so Tired and my legs were hurting something terrible, it took me all evening to recover.

I am sure it is just teething problems, but I am not sure if I want to risk it any time soon.

bekisman
01-Oct-11, 13:31
Well, after seeing the "we're reopening on Friday 30th" signs on all entrances to Thurso, Mrs Beks and I thought we'd give it a try on way back from Wick, but had a meal in spoon instead.. seems glad we did..

However Reids has always been a good chippie and as soon as this system is ironed out, it'll be fine, like everything else 'new' give a while before trying em..

changilass
01-Oct-11, 13:59
If everyone 'gives it a while', then they won't see the problems for a while - just an observation.

Dog-eared
01-Oct-11, 14:02
Don't go at rush hour.

Corrie 3
01-Oct-11, 14:08
Is Reid's a "Fast Food Outlet" ????
Thanks for the heads up, I certainly wont be going in if I have to wait an hour for my "Fast Food" !!!!

C3................:roll::eek:[disgust]

onecalledk
01-Oct-11, 14:09
this system is in place in other chippies outwith the county and can take a bit of getting used to - like holding onto the receipt with the number in the first place ! and of course then hoping the assistant then shouts your number loud enough .......

do they take telephone orders? saves time and hassle queueing....

K

thoms83
01-Oct-11, 14:38
I found that you had to wait an age for anything in there before the old chippy burnt down, even for one or two suppers. Think its cos they cook everything fresh, chips were usually the business tho;)

teddybear1873
01-Oct-11, 16:11
Is Reid's still in the same location (Riverside Pl) I haven't been into that chippy in a long time, probably at least 15 years.

thirsaloon
01-Oct-11, 16:34
I was in Reids, around 5:40pm, ok there was a bit of queue, that’s likely a sign of popularity as they always were prior to the fire. I did not mind having to wait, especially since it was their first day opened. With new equipment and a new system I’m sure it will take a little while for them to get into the swing of things but once they are up and running they will likely be back to normal. Give them a chance to get into the new routine, like any new set up it takes time.
Regarding the quote about Gordon Ramsey, he also says people are prepared to wait for good food, and mine was good and I was more than happy to wait!

Best of luck to them I say and I will be back!

bekisman
01-Oct-11, 16:38
If everyone 'gives it a while', then they won't see the problems for a while - just an observation.My 'a while' (being old and creaky) would be a week, younger buffs, maybe a day or so, medium folk; a few days - there you are; sorted, a continual stream.

As thirsaloon says above 'like any new set up, it takes time'. ;)

thirsaloon
01-Oct-11, 16:52
My 'a while' (being old and creaky) would be a week, younger buffs, maybe a day or so, medium folk; a few days - there you are; sorted, a continual stream.

As thirsaloon says above 'like any new set up, it takes time'. ;)

Indeed, its not like they were deliberately keeping people waiting, was just one of things. Can always go home and open a bag oven chips or peel a few tatties if you aint prepared to give them a chance.

NickInTheNorth
01-Oct-11, 18:01
I was also in there around 5.40 on friday. I ordered the special 'cos I love hake, one of my favourite fish! Despite the shop being full, and queued literally out of the door when I arrived I was munching on my fish supper within 9 minutes. Not too shabby in terms of service methinks.

And the fish and the chips were superb!

thirsaloon
01-Oct-11, 19:44
Agree with you Nick. I wouldnt say there was a delay at all, especially in the circumstances. It was so good last night I went back in again just now. Spoke to the owners when I was, just out of interest, they said it was news to them that anyone handed their order slip back and refused to take their money nor were they aware of any order taking 65mins, no where near in fact.

Just like you said Nick, the food was really good, and on both nights the people that were with me all agreed - likewise as others did that had brought it up in conversation. On Friday night when I was there i was standing outside because it was so busy inside, but I was certainly happy I did!

Ricanna
01-Oct-11, 19:59
It is true that a woman handed in her order slip. She did not refuse her money back, she just said sorry she was in a hurry and couldn't wait and it didn't matter--got the impression she did not want to make a fuss.

However the problem seemed to be while the place prides itself on fresh frying and that is why the food is so good, at a busy time the thing to do would be for the till to shout the order so if someone came in and orders 4 fish suppers and at the back of it someone asks for 2 put 6 fish in not 4 or anticipate that at a busy time x amount of fish are going to go and put them on. They cook one order at a time amd that is where the delay lies.

Service lesson can be learned from the other shop in the town where the service is excellent--they take your order just about when you walk in the door though you might be a dozen behind the front of the queue. Unfortunately they don't change their fat often enough so Reids have a better product--IMHO of course

kitty
02-Oct-11, 16:40
Does anyone know if its open today or have a phone number for it. I did a quick google and only got numbers for the bakery and not sure if its the same number.

Reids Bakery
03-Oct-11, 10:45
A very big thank you to everyone who came along on our first weekend.
We apologise to anyone who had to wait longer than they anticipated. Although we made every effort to be ready for our launch we can only truly find out how the system is working when we have the customers there to put it into practise. As most of you say it will take a little time, and we thank you for your patience.
In response to Kitty, yes we are open today at 12.00noon to 2.00pm and 4.00pm to 8.00pm, our telephone number is 893574. Could Kitty please call in at the Chip Shop when it is convenient for you as Mr Reid would like to speak to you personally.

upolian
03-Oct-11, 12:58
I wouldn't go to any other chippy,no matter how long the wait truly fantastic food from Reids :D

Dog-eared
03-Oct-11, 15:05
Reid's are the best chippy in town.

teddybear1873
03-Oct-11, 16:00
Can't wait to try Reids out when I eventually get back to Thurso, I haven't had a good fish supper in years.

wickscorrie
03-Oct-11, 17:24
Its better than the one we have in Wick ordered to be picked up 45 mins later went to collect food only to be told they had none left of one paricular part of order argh,surely when you order it should have some relevance just the same as if you were there in person to give them your trade?

secrets in symmetry
03-Oct-11, 23:06
Could Kitty please call in at the Chip Shop when it is convenient for you as Mr Reid would like to speak to you personally.Should that not be addressed to Kodiak?

thirsaloon
05-Oct-11, 12:47
Should that not be addressed to Kodiak?

Maybe a wee typo there, but think you could be right secrets!

sids
05-Oct-11, 12:58
Its better than the one we have in Wick ordered to be picked up 45 mins later went to collect food only to be told they had none left of one paricular part of order

So, when you go in to collect, you ask what they've got hot and have that.

gleeber
05-Oct-11, 13:09
Your so old fashioned Sids.

Kodiak
05-Oct-11, 14:54
Should that not be addressed to Kodiak?

Perhaps it was meant for me, perhaps not, I do not know. Since it was adressed to Kity, I can only assume it was meant for Kitty.

As it being a Typo, all I can say there is a very big difference between Kitty and Kodiak.

If Reids really do wish to contact me they can send me a PM.

kitty
05-Oct-11, 15:18
Perhaps it was meant for me, perhaps not, I do not know. Since it was adressed to Kity, I can only assume it was meant for Kitty.

As it being a Typo, all I can say there is a very big difference between Kitty and Kodiak.

If Reids really do wish to contact me they can send me a PM.

I've been presuming its for you as well Kodiak. I sent them a pm saying that i didn't think it was intended for me as i was only asking about opening times but i haven't heard back :)

Just checked and they haven't been back on line since

sids
05-Oct-11, 17:37
Could Kitty please call in at the Chip Shop when it is convenient for you as Mr Reid would like to speak to you personally.

Don't go- it's a trap!

oldmarine
05-Oct-11, 21:41
You have my curiousty. Perhaps I shall try it if I should get back to Caithness.

Maccy
05-Oct-11, 22:16
Nice fish supper but too expensive.

Bazeye
06-Oct-11, 01:42

Both begin with K and have got at least one i in them havent they? A simple enough mistake, surely?

sandyr1
06-Oct-11, 01:49
Cheezzzze Whiz guys..The unofficial 'Police' will be onto to you for corrupting this thread..
Only speak of that which the OP stated......Tongue in cheeky!

secrets in symmetry
07-Oct-11, 00:10

If Reids really do wish to contact me they can send me a PM.Don't hold your breath over the PM. If they got your order wrong after you waited nearly an hour, and they got your name wrong on the forum, then it'll be a week before they've cleared the backlog of customers in the chippy and found some time to log on to the forum again.

The chippies around here are much the same. Sometime I think I'd be quicker growing my own tatties and restoring an old seine netter....

At least Macdonalds are fast....

Metalattakk
07-Oct-11, 03:34
At least Macdonalds are fast....

How does the two-hour drive to Inversneck fit into your time-scale?

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z55/Metalattakk/f_doh.gif

secrets in symmetry
07-Oct-11, 23:47
How does the two-hour drive to Inversneck fit into your time-scale?

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z55/Metalattakk/f_doh.gifIt's only 55 minutes longer than Kodiak had to wait in Reid's. It's less than 10 minutes for me.

Metalattakk
08-Oct-11, 02:39
So it doesn't really fit into the time-scale at all, for Kodiak at least.

Hmmm. . .

So, how are Reids getting on with the delays and waiting times now that their system is up and running, and everyone (staff and customers) have got their heads round it?

sids
08-Oct-11, 08:37
It's only 55 minutes longer than Kodiak had to wait.

Then he's got to get back.

secrets in symmetry
08-Oct-11, 14:39
Then he's got to get back.What would be the point in that? He'd have to drive for another two hours next time he wants to go there. :cool: