PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Your Children Meat Is Child Abuse

connieb19
11-Oct-06, 14:12
This is the latest from the animal rights activists. Personally I dont think it's the meat that is making children obese, I think it's more to do with the sweets, fizzy drinks and processed food that they are eating and lack of excercise. :confused
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/news/farmingtoday/

connieb19
11-Oct-06, 14:27
I suppose if it's children meat, then it is child abuse lol. (before someone else says it) :eek:

saxovtr
11-Oct-06, 14:30
rite ok then....

Gleber2
11-Oct-06, 14:30
I brought my children up as vegans and it is really nice to see that other people agree with me.

connieb19
11-Oct-06, 14:32
I brought my children up as vegans and it is really nice to see that other people agree with me.
What would happen to all the animals if everyone turned vegan though?

Billy Boy
11-Oct-06, 14:42
i was brought up on meat and did me the world of good in turn i'am bringing up my wee one the same way.....:D

saxovtr
11-Oct-06, 14:45
i dont see the problem in eating meat?

Gleber2
11-Oct-06, 14:51
What would happen to all the animals if everyone turned vegan though?

Nobody eats bears but they survive. Do you think other animals are different just because we eat them? Threre would be a lot less of them of course.

connieb19
11-Oct-06, 14:56
I think people can eat a bad diet whether they are vegetarian or meat eaters. some vegetarians don't even like vegetables and live on chips, pizza and cheesy pasta. :confused

acameron
11-Oct-06, 15:11
[QUOTE=Gleber2;145170]Nobody eats bears ........QUOTE]

I’m a meat eater through and through - I have meat as a side dish with my meat.
I would eat the bears and goldilocks given half a chance.
As for forcing childen with meat is abuse? My oldest lad refuses to eat red meat by choice, and my youngest lad and myself are like a couple of wild dogs fighting over the last sausage!
Fair do's it’s a personal choice and good luck to them (more meat for me), but eating meat is what humans have done for millenniums, it’s only in the last 50 odd years that veggies have been popular.

Keep you green stuff; I need the energy to stick the frying pan on.

Bobinovich
11-Oct-06, 16:41
Having been vegetarian for 6 years I can see both sides. There are some superb vegetarian/vegan recipies and now and again they would be a nice alternative, but I don't think I could go back there again - I enjoy my meat too much now!

Dreadnought
11-Oct-06, 16:45
I would agree with animal rights activists... IF... they all wear a bracelet or necklace clearly stating that in the event of medical emergency they cannot be treated with any drug, tool or treatment which had animal testing as part of it's development.

Also maybe a vegetarian can explain the statement: 'I'm a vegetarian but I eat fish, eggs and chicken...' Do these people have access to fish trees and chicken bushes that I am not aware of?

Gleber2
11-Oct-06, 17:02
IAlso maybe a vegetarian can explain the statement: 'I'm a vegetarian but I eat fish, eggs and chicken...' Do these people have access to fish trees and chicken bushes that I am not aware of?

It's easy. These people are not vegetarians.

mareng
11-Oct-06, 17:05

I can't say that I have studied the pros and cons of a vegan diet, but .... is it possible to have a balanced vegan diet without supplements?

mareng
11-Oct-06, 17:14
i was brought up on meat and did me the world of good in turn i'am bringing up my wee one the same way.....:D

Oh no!

This thread is going to turn into an "I eat meat and I'm okay"/"I'm a vegan and I'm okay" pingpong game.

Okay - I'll join in:

"Mrs West brought her son Fred up as a carnivore."

Right - that's 1-0 to the vegans by my estimate.

JAWS
11-Oct-06, 17:21
The only thing I have to say about the PETA Statement is, go boil an egg.

The only abuse I can see is when extremist pressure groups on any subject abuse me with their twitterings.

I have no inclination to tell them how to live their lives. All I ask is that they extend the same courtesy to the rest of us.

Personally, I have a great deal of sympathy with the poor subjugated vegetables which are kept in constant captivity, many of them struggling to escape from where they have been buried alive by humans in order to see the light of day.
just when they have freed themselves and tasted the warm sunlight they are violently dragged, screaming, (Yes plants do have feelings and can scream), from their surroundings, physically abused and, more often than not, sealed into some kind of container without water or sustenance for extended periods, dissected and then boiled alive.

I can hardly look a poor vegetable in the face as it grows in a field knowing what will eventually befall it.

With that I will close because my potatoes are ready for mashing and the beef stew won't taste the same if they are over boiled!

Dreadnought
11-Oct-06, 17:49
Look, it's simple, if we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made of meat?

Gleber2
11-Oct-06, 17:53
I can't say that I have studied the pros and cons of a vegan diet, but .... is it possible to have a balanced vegan diet without supplements?

My wife and I and two of my chidren have been vegan for over 20 years and our diet seems to have been balanced enough without supplements. The only thing a vegan diet is short on is B12 and my son who has been vegan from birth has no B12 shortage. Our bodies are a lot more versatile than we give them credit for.

Billy Boy
11-Oct-06, 18:00
Oh no!

This thread is going to turn into an "I eat meat and I'm okay"/"I'm a vegan and I'm okay" pingpong game.

Okay - I'll join in:

"Mrs West brought her son Fred up as a carnivore."

Right - that's 1-0 to the vegans by my estimate.

they say that hitler was supposed to be a vegetarian lol, and we all know what a lovely man he was:Razz
1 - 1 me thinks

mareng
11-Oct-06, 18:27
My wife and I and two of my chidren have been vegan for over 20 years and our diet seems to have been balanced enough without supplements. The only thing a vegan diet is short on is B12 and my son who has been vegan from birth has no B12 shortage. Our bodies are a lot more versatile than we give them credit for.

Right - in the absence of conflicting views, thanks for clearing up that misconception.

(I've had a few kebabs, late at night that would challenge your assertion that our bodies are more versatile than we give them credit for, however.)

danc1ngwitch
11-Oct-06, 18:49
Ma boyz will eat meat till it comes outta der ears. I think that if you take a step back. We were not meant to eat a pack of 6 mars bars, A few multi packs of crisps, oh and a gallon of Coke.. We were supposed to be able to run and hunt, eat meat and veggies etc etc. Tho hell those choccies are a curse. Lol.

grumpyhippo
11-Oct-06, 18:58
Meat is murder and right now I could murder a steak :lol: :lol:

percy toboggan
11-Oct-06, 19:04
Nobody should preach to anyone else what and what not they should eat.
It's undeniable that humans are carnivores by design. I like meat very much.
You don't want it? Why the heck should I care. Why should anyone care what I eat? Animals are killed for food - so what, that's what the food chain is all about. So long as humans kill them humanely then our debt to lesser species discharged. Civilised people slaughter animals humanely.

How would a vegan, or a vegetarian faced with starvation view a rabbit? Would they talk to it nicely and try to glean where it's stash of carrots was? I dunno. I kind of doubt it though. An inhumane rock over the bonce and an ex-rabbit for supper might be on the menu.

Don't preach, just thank goodness you have choice when it comes to edibles. Millions on the planet have no such choice.

obiron
11-Oct-06, 19:27
im finding im eating less and less meat and im introducing the boys to vegetarian food. the only meat i seem to like these days is chicken but i did find the other week the quorn equivalent bit dear thou.

Tristan
11-Oct-06, 19:43
To meat or not to meat, that is the question.
I can see arguments for both, detriments to both and benefits to both.

Whatever you choose is going to be healthier than eating any prepackage meals, crisps, penny sweets, fast food or any other types of meals and snacks that are passed of as food.

Rheghead
11-Oct-06, 19:47
I would agree with animal rights activists... IF... they all wear a bracelet or necklace clearly stating that in the event of medical emergency they cannot be treated with any drug, tool or treatment which had animal testing as part of it's development.

Most animal rights activists and 'normal' people shared a universal desire to reduce suffering whether be it animal or human. Some vegetarians don't eat meat for the purpose of reducing suffering caused by the meat industry. But every camp has its extremists (yes extremists have their extremists as well), but many of the people who speak for the creatures that we have sway over are all too acutely aware that animal testing can provide a route to the relief of suffering for millions at the expense of a relative few. And they are all too aware that there are pointless and terrible animal tests still going on. So to hold an opinion of yours is a sign that you may not have researched on the subject. There is animal testing and there is animal testing even for drugs that benefit other animals! There are vegetarians and there are others for other reasons. Nothing is black and white so I would hope you would like to appreciate that vegetarians can reduce the suffering of animals while refraining from eating meat and still partake in the fruits of animal testing.

golach
11-Oct-06, 19:48
[quote=Gleber2;145170]Nobody eats bears ........QUOTE]
I’m a meat eater through and through - I have meat as a side dish with my meat.
I would eat the bears and goldilocks given half a chance.
As for forcing child with meat is abuse? My oldest lad refuses to eat red meat by choice, and my youngest lad and myself are like a couple of wild dogs fighting over the last sausage!
Fair do's it’s a personal choice and good luck to them (more meat for me), but eating meat is what humans have done for millenniums, it’s only in the last 50 odd years that veggies have popular.
Keep you green stuff; I need the energy to stick the frying pan on.
I am with you Ac nothing better than a good bit of Aberdeen Angus, or Ham Ribs, but I use my George Forman Grill no the frying pan unless I hev an egg with my rare rump, or a few rashers of gammon. I am not obese I am 5ft 6in and weigh 140lbs when Im wet. But throw in a salad with my Steak I like that too, with my vinagarette dressing, see the recipes forum

scorrie
11-Oct-06, 19:53
Look, it's simple, if we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made of meat?

That reminds me of something I said a good few years ago. If God had wanted us to avoid eating animals, then he shouldn't have made them so tasty!!

I have to wonder about supposed animal lovers who have no problem with digging up and stealing a poor old woman's remains from her grave, in order to make a point. That is sick beyond belief and some of these people are nutters trying to make a name for themselves rather than peacefully campaign for the benefit of animals.

As the Eskimo used to sing "Whale meat again, don't know where, don't know when"

Ricco
11-Oct-06, 19:57
Human beings evolved (or were created, depending upon your beliefs) as omnivores - opportunists who would eat anything. However, long ago our diet DID mostly consist of plant matter, with occasional bugs and carcasses to add some protein. However, over thousands of years we have gradually altered our diet to include more meat, which is a faster source of our dietary needs.

I, for one, do not relish the idea of bug madras and will stick to my largely vegetable diet with a moderate amount of meat. Sorry, Gleber2. ;)

Rheghead
11-Oct-06, 19:58
That reminds me of something I said a good few years ago. If God had wanted us to avoid eating animals, then he shouldn't have made them so tasty!!

I believe that human flesh takes like pork, mmm. So by your reckoning, eh?:lol:

Rheghead
11-Oct-06, 20:09
Human beings evolved (or were created, depending upon your beliefs) as omnivores - opportunists who would eat anything. However, long ago our diet DID mostly consist of plant matter, with occasional bugs and carcasses to add some protein. However, over thousands of years we have gradually altered our diet to include more meat, which is a faster source of our dietary needs.

I, for one, do not relish the idea of bug madras and will stick to my largely vegetable diet with a moderate amount of meat. Sorry, Gleeber2. ;)

So you do appreciate that animals in their evolutionary past have and will in the future alter their diet to survive? It is folly to think that we are not immune to the need to change for our survival as a species. And it is a well known fact that it takes 10kg of plant protein to produce 1kg of meat protein. So as more and more people adopt a western style or meat laden diet then it will eventually happen that the planet will not be able to support its human population and the rest of life. Look around, it is already happening, just look at all the virgin deforestation that is going on in the world to make way for animal husbandry. So I will put it to you that it is not a case of if but when the human race will have to give up its meat eating on such an exploitive way.:~(

_Ju_
11-Oct-06, 20:16
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/4283585.stm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,922557,00.html

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1209032

http://www.veganrepresent.com/forums/printthread.php?t=1184&pp=40

Giving children a balanced diet based solely on fruit and vegetables is VERY difficult. If nature intended us to be solely vegetarian, then giving them (children) a balanced vegeterian diet would be EASY and never ever risk the childs life with malnutrition. Nor would teenagers raised as vegans from baby-hood by parents who are improvising their childs diet have to take them to hospital for hip fractures usualy suffered by meopausal and osteoporitic women.

( I know that the sites are specifically selected with extreme situations that the large majority of parents, be they vegetarian or vegan would never get to. But they serve to ilustrate the point that nature makes sure that in each ecological niche, the young of any living animal can easily learn and live off what is it's species natural diet- they only starve if there is no food.)

pultneytooner
11-Oct-06, 20:30
Did you give them a choice, this isn't a criticism just an enquiry?:D

Cedric Farthsbottom III
11-Oct-06, 20:39
Love meat....especially in curry....pity aboot the ring sting in the mornin though!!:lol: :lol:

JAWS
11-Oct-06, 20:45
I believe that human flesh takes like pork, mmm. So by your reckoning, eh?:lol:If I remember correctly it was known by sailors as "Long Pig".

And to clarify one point, yes we are very much akin to Chimpanzees, or if you prefer, Chimpanzees are very much akin to us.

They are very territorial. They will fight to defend their territory. They will raid neighbouring territories to extend their own. They will hunt, trap and kill members of neighbouring troupes. They eat meat and, on occasions, are cannibalistic. Oh yes, and they are adept at making weapons and using them.

Sounds to me like we have very much in common indeed. All Chimpanzees have to do now is to learn how to make fires, to cook, to give their food strange fancy names and nobody will be able to tell the difference.

brandy
11-Oct-06, 20:54
Nobody eats bears but they survive. Do you think other animals are different just because we eat them? Threre would be a lot less of them of course.

umm actually people do eat bears.. bear meat is quite common where i come from. and there is a bear hunting season.. however hunters often become the hunted! *grins*
i was raised on meat as well.. with a healthy dose of veg and fruit and breads.
my mum was always very strict with salt and fizzy drinks.. and sweets tended to be more the home made variety.. ie pies cobblers and cakes..

but then that was 20 years ago.. and not many people bake and cook as they use to.. *laughs* i can remember very easily the first time i saw a microwave! i was about 13 and i thought it was the bomb!!
and just to let you know.. im not an old foggie im still in my 20s!

pultneytooner
11-Oct-06, 20:59
Typed in jaws' long pig and the first site was aboutnthe best cuts from a human........barf.[disgust]

Gleber2
11-Oct-06, 21:05
Did you give them a choice, this isn't a criticism just an enquiry?:D

Giving a child a choice when he or she is too young to make an informed choice is not right. I wouldn't allow my bairns to eat anything that would harm them any more than you would allow your bairns to drink bleach or eat poisonous toadstools. Two of my children are still vegetarians as grown ups and both thank me for their upbringing. What they ate when away from home was up to them and, after first experiments, they continued as vegetarians. So, to answer your question, they were given no choice at home but made up their own minds when they were old enough to know for themselves.

brandy
11-Oct-06, 21:09
on this i do know.. my brother and his mate went vegan for about a year.. and then started to eat meat again, dont know why.. i just thought they were being idiots..
they came across all holier than thou.. and started preaching to us.. how we were polluting our bodies and this and that..
well after a year they became fed up on not having meat or soda or any other form of junk food.
when my brothers mate started to eat meat again.. he ended up in hospital.
what happened was because he had gone so long strictly vegan. not drinking milk, cheese eggs nadda.. and suddenly started to eat red meat again.. his system just sort of shut down as it could not process it.. and he was also malnurished .. from lack of protien..

pultneytooner
11-Oct-06, 21:14
Giving a child a choice when he or she is too young to make an informed choice is not right. I wouldn't allow my bairns to eat anything that would harm them any more than you would allow your bairns to drink bleach or eat poisonous toadstools. Two of my children are still vegetarians as grown ups and both thank me for their upbringing. What they ate when away from home was up to them and, after first experiments, they continued as vegetarians. So, to answer your question, they were given no choice at home but made up their own minds when they were old enough to know for themselves.
SO then it would be okay for someone to feed their kids meat then alow them to have their choice whether they want to become a vegan or carry on eating meat?

JAWS
11-Oct-06, 21:20
Typed in jaws' long pig and the first site was aboutnthe best cuts from a human........barf.[disgust]~I'm admitting nothing.~ I will, however, confirm that Crocodile tastes of fishy chicken which is nicer than it sounds!

WeeBurd
11-Oct-06, 21:30
My eldest was weaned on fruit and veg only, before introducing portions of breads, cereals, dairy (other than breast/formula milk, obviously!) & meats at around 6 months.. she used to love her veg, would wolf it down as soon as she saw it. But she's getting to a stage now where she's becoming fussy, and will sometimes turn her nose up at a plate of veg - knowing she'll eat other food groups as well re-assures me that at least she is eating something, rather than nothing.

No. 2 has just started weaning, so it's solely fruit and veg at the mo.

My personal choice is not to restrict their diets right now, however if either wish to go veggie/vegan once they're older than 5yrs, then as long as they're healthy and the doc has no concerns about their growth/development, I will be happy to make the neccessary changes in their diet to accommodate their wishes.

pultneytooner
11-Oct-06, 21:32
~I'm admitting nothing.~ I will, however, confirm that Crocodile tastes of fishy chicken which is nicer than it sounds!
lol, maybe you're a cereal killer then?[lol]

Cedric Farthsbottom III
11-Oct-06, 21:36
Kids are fussy eaters at the best o' times.As long as their healthy thats fine by me.Regularly enjoy a Beer and a Burger at Wetherspoons,wi ma boys.The only thing they complain aboot,is not the meat in the burger but that its just a coke they get and not a Fosters!!!:lol: :lol:

Gleber2
11-Oct-06, 21:39
SO then it would be okay for someone to feed their kids meat then alow them to have their choice whether they want to become a vegan or carry on eating meat?

To addict them to meat as infants gives them no easy choice when they grow up. I don't how you can arrive at the above conclusion from my statement. If my knowledge about the subject is in fact right then to feed children meat is intrinsically wrong. I took no chances.

changilass
11-Oct-06, 21:45
I feel really sorry for parents, they are under enough pressure as it is without someone accusing them of child abuse for giving them a balanced diet.

If we stayed off all things the so called experts tell us are bad for us then we would die of starvation and boredom.

pultneytooner
11-Oct-06, 21:50
To addict them to meat as infants gives them no easy choice when they grow up. I don't how you can arrive at the above conclusion from my statement. If my knowledge about the subject is in fact right then to feed children meat is intrinsically wrong. I took no chances.
What I mean is whilst you brought your kids up to be vegan then let them choose their own way of life why would this be different from someone feeding their kids meat then allowing them their own choice.
Are kids what we make them not what they want to be?

Gleber2
11-Oct-06, 21:57
What I mean is whilst you brought your kids up to be vegan then let them choose their own way of life why would this be different from someone feeding their kids meat then allowing them their own choice.
Are kids what we make them not what they want to be?

Most parents feed their children meat because they believe this is the right thing to do and cannot stop them making a choice when they are older. I am of the school of thought which believes, for whatever reason, that eating meat is bad for you. According to this belief, I believe the bairns should not have it until they decide they don't want to be vegetarians anymore. Therefore I would say, from my point of view, that it is not right to feed your kids meat until they are old enough to decide for themselves.

pultneytooner
11-Oct-06, 22:07
Most parents feed their children meat because they believe this is the right thing to do and cannot stop them making a choice when they are older. I am of the school of thought which believes, for whatever reason, that eating meat is bad for you. According to this belief, I believe the bairns should not have it until they decide they don't want to be vegetarians anymore. Therefore I would say, from my point of view, that it is not right to feed your kids meat until they are old enough to decide for themselves.
So both sets of parents would feed their kids as they see fit then let them decide for themselves when they are old enough so are they both right?

engiebenjy
11-Oct-06, 22:27
I have got really angry reading this thread. How dare they say that it is child abuse to feed children meat. It is child abuse if you batter your kids, hitting, depriving of food etc. It is not child abuse to feed your children meat. My attitude to this is the same as it is to religion. Each to their own, but do not try to force your views on to me. For example, I am not going to say that Gleber2 was wrong to raise children as vegan, that's a choice that was made as parents, so I don't expect anybody to tell me that I am a child abuser for feeding my kids meat. (I buy all my meat from Bews butchers, not the value added stuff with 40 ingredients in a packet of sausages).

Gleber2
11-Oct-06, 22:27
So both sets of parents would feed their kids as they see fit then let them decide for themselves when they are old enough so are they both right?
Except that one might be wrong!!!

pultneytooner
11-Oct-06, 22:28
Except that one might be wrong!!!
Arggggggggh, life is too complicated.[lol]

Gleber2
11-Oct-06, 22:30
Very profound....which one might be wrong?

You in your small corner and I in mine.[lol]

mareng
11-Oct-06, 22:37
You in your small corner and I in mine.[lol]

Yeah, but we've got the sausages in our corner.

Yum!

Has anyone noticed that one side in this exchange has started to preach??

Gleber2
11-Oct-06, 22:39
Yeah, but we've got the sausages in our corner.

Yum!

Has anyone noticed that one side in this exchange has started to preach??

Is to answer direct questions to preach? We have a different understanding of the English language it would appear.

WeeBurd
11-Oct-06, 22:43
Mareng, I think both sides are bright enough to follow their own insticts, me thinks Gleber2 simply feels more passionately about it though, as it's a subject close to his heart.

I am wrong in his opinion, he's not wrong in my opinion, just different to me. Room for everyone and all that [lol] !

pultneytooner
11-Oct-06, 22:45
Mareng, I think both sides are bright enough to follow their own insticts, me thinks Gleber2 simply feels more passionately about it though, as it's a subject close to his heart.

I am wrong in his opinion, he's not wrong in my opinion, just different to me. Room for everyone and all that [lol] !
Gleber2 is entitled to his views and I to mine, I like to get all points of view and make up my own mind.

Bobinovich
11-Oct-06, 22:53
Giving a child a choice when he or she is too young to make an informed choice is not right.

Sorry for taking this off topic for a moment but I feel the same way about children and religion - am I alone?

I am an atheist and do not agree that children should be introduced to religion in any form until they are old enough to understand it and choose for themselves.

Yet schools, and groups such as Beavers, insist on including religion from an early stage. Is this right?

Rheghead
11-Oct-06, 22:55
Would it be child abuse if the parents did a Morgan Spurlock (google:supersize me)on their kids day in day out? I think it would, but that is an extreme case. Strangely, the kids wouldn't mind with all that fizzy drink and daft free gifts and stuff.:eek: And with all the difficulty in getting a guilty verdict over poisoning a kid with table salt, I doubt if social services would be interested in an over dose by Big Mac.

connieb19
11-Oct-06, 23:00
I don't really eat a lot of meat but the woman on the Radio was speaking abut squirrel pie, now dosn't that sound tempting? :eek:

pultneytooner
11-Oct-06, 23:01
I don't really eat a lot of meat but the woman on the Radio was speaking abut squirrel pie, now dosn't that sound tempting? :eek:
Watched a prog about food foraging, fresh spit-roasted squirrel with wild cranberry sauce......Mmmmmmmm:D

Rheghead
11-Oct-06, 23:02

Provided they were made out of the American Grey then I can see a point to it.

connieb19
11-Oct-06, 23:04
Watched a prog about food foraging, fresh spit-roasted squirrel with wild cranberry sauce......Mmmmmmmm:DMmmmm, i still like the sound of these babies though!! :eek:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/5371500.stm

pultneytooner
11-Oct-06, 23:04
Provided they were made out of the American Grey then I can see a point to it.
Is the american grey tastier?

pultneytooner
11-Oct-06, 23:07
Mmmmm, i still like the sound of these babies though!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/5371500.stm
EEEEEEEEEEEEEkkkkkkkkk:eek:....never part a squirrel and his nuts.[lol]

engiebenjy
11-Oct-06, 23:07

You ever seen hugh fearnley-whittingstall (river cottage) doing it? not much eating in them though!

connieb19
11-Oct-06, 23:08
You ever seen hugh fearnley-whittingstall (river cottage) doing it? not much eating in them though!
I enjoy his programme, never saw the squirrel though. The woman on the radio said it tastes like chicken but nutty.

pultneytooner
11-Oct-06, 23:14
I enjoy his programme, never saw the squirrel though. The woman on the radio said it tastes like chicken but nutty.
Crazy nut cutlet chicken , lol.
How come everything not normaly eaten tastes lek chicken??????????:confused

connieb19
11-Oct-06, 23:16
Crazy nut cutlet chicken , lol.
How come everything not normaly eaten tastes lek chicken??????????:confused
Except Quorn chicken pieces, it tastes like sawdust. [disgust]

mccaugm
11-Oct-06, 23:31

Also maybe a vegetarian can explain the statement: 'I'm a vegetarian but I eat fish, eggs and chicken...' Do these people have access to fish trees and chicken bushes that I am not aware of?

I am vegetarian and have been asked countless times "Do you eat chicken or fish?" No of course I don't! My usual tag line is "if it had a face then I don't eat it".
Lacto - Does not eat meat
Vegan - Does not eat/use meat and animal products
Beta - not a true veggie but does not eat red meat

Dreadnought
11-Oct-06, 23:45
Nothing is black and white so I would hope you would like to appreciate that vegetarians can reduce the suffering of animals while refraining from eating meat and still partake in the fruits of animal testing.

I specified 'animal rights activists', not vegetarians.

Here's a question. How many of the vegetarians/vegans here drink beer? Beer has animal (fish) extracts in it.
How many eat Polo mints? Polo mints also have animal extracts in them. The same with toothpaste. There are many, many things that have animal extracts as ingredients.

Gleber2
11-Oct-06, 23:50

Here's a question. How many of the vegetarians/vegans here drink beer? Beer has animal (fish) extracts in it.
How many eat Polo mints? Polo mints also have animal extracts in them. The same with toothpaste. There are many, many things that have animal extracts as ingredients.

And those of us vegans are clever enough to know all that.

Gleber2
11-Oct-06, 23:52
Sorry for taking this off topic for a moment but I feel the same way about children and religion - am I alone?

I am an atheist and do not agree that children should be introduced to religion in any form until they are old enough to understand it and choose for themselves.

Yet schools, and groups such as Beavers, insist on including religion from an early stage. Is this right?

I totally agree with you. To me it is as wrong as addicting children to poisonous liquids like milk.

mostlyharmless
12-Oct-06, 00:13
If animals are not meant to be eaten why are they made of meat.......? good ole Peter Kay.

But seriously heading up something like this as child abuse is irresponsible.

However the sentiments of many vegetarians I can relate to ..but I could not live it so I decided to raise my own meat and eat my own vegetables and fruit.
I know what has gone into them and I hope I have given them the best life they could have.

'I hope' my children can also appreciate the life of all things and be grateful for them. 'I hope' it will teach them to grow up appreciating all life and how precious it is. 'I hope' because they understand the life and death of things it will help them take responsibility and make it easier to make choices when they are older; such as becoming vegetarian or not.
'I hope' by not pushing the reality of life and death away from them I help them to make the right choices in life. We'll see...

Religion always sneeks in somewhere surely you should explain things to your children yourself then , people have different beliefs etc this is what I believe etc, you can't hide them from everything just tell them how you see it and help them understand others!

acameron
12-Oct-06, 00:14
I totally agree with you. To me it is as wrong as addicting children to poisonous liquids like milk.

No offence Gleber2, but how does a child have an option to choose. Do you tell them milk meat etc are poisonous, but make your own mind up. If so are you not brainwashing them to not choose, in the same way a good parent would tell there child not to smoke?

Rheghead
12-Oct-06, 00:19

You are talking in absolutes again, some beers have isinglass in them, some do not. Some toothpastes may have animal products in them, some do not. etc etc etc. Vegetarians and other people have the right to choose which products that do not have an animal suffering footprint. Sometimes it may be necessary to buy a product with animal products in it due to availability etc, but, the objective of the exercise imo is to reduce the demand for such products and seek alternatives whenever possible, therefore reduce suffering by animals.

Gleber2
12-Oct-06, 00:39
No offence Gleber2, but how does a child have an option to choose. Do you tell them milk meat etc are poisonous, but make your own mind up. If so are you not brainwashing them to not choose, in the same way a good parent would tell there child not to smoke?

A child has not gathered enough information to make a considered choice about anything. It is the parents right and duty to educate the child according to their own beliefs and if this is brainwashing for one side it is the same for the other.

Kingetter
12-Oct-06, 01:35
Oor Rabbie may have understood -

The Selkirk Grace

Some hae meat and cannot eat.
Some cannot eat that want it:
But we hae meat and we can eat,
Sae let the Lord be thankit

Maybe?

brandy
12-Oct-06, 09:04
omg just remembered my great grandpa use to love fried squirell brains *ugghhh* now thats just gross..
there are so many weird and strange foods back home.. mountain oysters are one of them! yuck!
my two toddlers are totally dif in appetites
the oldest.. 3 1/2 is not a big eat meater .. ever now and again he will nibble a bit of chicken.
i usually give him peanut butter as a protien sub. (however my best mates swears giving children peanut butter is child abuse in itself! *G* she hates the stuff!)

now my two year old loves meats..
and will eat anything you put in front of him
he loves a roast with tatties turnips and yorkshires! and dont forget the gravy!
so not to bothered... as long as they are getting all the nutrients they are needing im happy!

scorrie
12-Oct-06, 12:42
I believe that human flesh takes like pork, mmm. So by your reckoning, eh?:lol:

I have often wondered if the first thought occuring to someone desperate enough to resort to consuming their fellow human was "Oh, that tastes just like pork"

You would have thought they would have the decency not to visualise it with some nice salad potatoes and a cheeky wee apple sauce.

Still, it takes a whole new meaning to "Having a Chinese for Dinner", "Spare Ribs" and "Finger Lickin' Good"

connieb19
12-Oct-06, 12:47
I've always wondered what's in Mr Brains Pork Faggots..YUK!! :eek:

_Ju_
12-Oct-06, 13:30

Human babies are mamals. mamal mother produce milk through lactation to feed their young. Are you defending that babies should not be breast fed, or when the mother cannot do that be given a milk substitute?

bigpete
12-Oct-06, 13:49
Re: connieb19
We're having Mr Brains Pork Faggots for tea today! (used to be just 'Brains faggots' which put the kids off a bit)
Ingredients: (Pork Faggots): Water, Rusks, Pork Rind, pork Liver, Onion, pork, pork Fat, Wheat Flour, Salt.
Tastes delicious! did the kids no harm..

connieb19
12-Oct-06, 13:56
We're having Mr Brains Pork Faggots for tea today! (used to be just 'Brains faggots' which put the kids off a bit)
Ingredients: (Pork Faggots): Water, Rusks, Pork Rind, pork Liver, Onion, pork, pork Fat, Wheat Flour, Salt.
Thanks bigpete, you're the first person I've come across that eats them, and I've always wondered. Don't think I fancy them myself though. :D
Don't you think there's so many foods that have the same ingredients but just a different shape? I rekon Bernard Mathews is one of the worst culprits. Everything must be just thrown in a big pot, then shaped into whatever it's going to be. :eek:

scorrie
12-Oct-06, 14:13

I thought Firemen didn't like Faggots ;o)

bigpete
12-Oct-06, 14:34
very witty Scorrie!

Is there really no-one else out there that eats them? (Brains faggots that is)

Kingetter
12-Oct-06, 14:37
very witty Scorrie!

Is there really no-one else out there that eats them? (Brains faggots that is)
At the risk of embarrassing myself in the minority - yes, I do, occasionally. Only prob is I'm still tasting them hours later, though with less enthusiasm.

golach
12-Oct-06, 16:10
I was brought up on cows milk unpasturised because my mother could not supply enough "mothers milk" my 4 siblings were brought up on "National Dried Milk", none of us has been poisoned in anyway and none of us have any addictions to milk or have any allergies attributed to cows milk. I drink milk by itself now and again and with my daily porridge, but I cannot stand milk in coffee or tea.

Gleber2
12-Oct-06, 18:01
Human babies are mamals. mamal mother produce milk through lactation to feed their young. Are you defending that babies should not be breast fed, or when the mother cannot do that be given a milk substitute?
Human milk for human babies. Cows milk is meant for calves who have a few more stomachs to digest their mother's milk. My children were weaned onto a mixture of oat flour and brown rice flour which has all the nutrients required and is easily digested. All it lacks are the hormones present in human milk which are important to the mental development of the child.

Rheghead
12-Oct-06, 18:09
Human milk for human babies. Cows milk is meant for calves who have a few more stomachs to digest their mother's milk. My children were weaned onto a mixture of oat flour and brown rice flour which has all the nutrients required and is easily digested. All it lacks are the hormones present in human milk which are important to the mental development of the child.

I think the only meat that a vegan will eat is the placenta of their newborn baby. Until relatively recently, I think it was commonplace for it to be eaten by the parents as celebration for the newborn.

Dreadnought
12-Oct-06, 18:48
I often wonder... if there were some catastrophe which caused famine in Britain, how many vegans/vegetarians would still eschew meat?

Gleber2
12-Oct-06, 19:19
I often wonder... if there were some catastrophe which caused famine in Britain, how many vegans/vegetarians would still eschew meat?

Vegans are still humans and will do anything that any other human will do to survive.

Rheghead
12-Oct-06, 19:46

Ironically, the solution to any such disaster or even as a means to avoid one would be to go veggie to maximise the availability of protein.

No crops, no animals...

Also, if disaster happens, what vegans are eating is the last of your worries.

acameron
12-Oct-06, 20:46
There are people who eat meat, people who eat veg, and people who try both and there are people who do not have a choice.
I eat meat, because I like it. I also eat veg with my meat and I eat veg on its own. There are also pastas, rice etc that I will eat.
I only have preached to my lads that eating too much sweeties is bad for them, but mainly as a family we eat a balanced diet (although I sometimes eat more of the diet than is required).
Milk is not poison, meat is not poison, veg is not poison - unless you have an allergic reaction to it. There are nutrients in all edible food and may it be stew and dumplings or lentils and carrots, its all good for you if your body needs it.
No doubt I will be shot down for this but, I have over the years be told more than a few times that eating meat is bad for you, eating meat is murder, this is bad for you, and that is bad for you. It all comes down to personal choice, and whatever you eat and choose to eat, I hope you enjoy it. But don’t tell me what I’m eating is bad for me when I’m tucking into my mince and tatties
;)

golach
12-Oct-06, 21:19
But don’t tell me what I’m eating is bad for me when I’m tucking into my mince and tatties
;)
Ac nothing better than a plate or two of good scotch beef steak mince and tatties to warm the cockles of your heart......a nut cutlet and brown rice does nothing for me ;)

connieb19
12-Oct-06, 21:22
There are people who eat meat, people who eat veg, and people who try both and there are people who do not have a choice.
I eat meat, because I like it. I also eat veg with my meat and I eat veg on its own. There are also pastas, rice etc that I will eat.
I only have preached to my lads that eating too much sweeties is bad for them, but mainly as a family we eat a balanced diet (although I sometimes eat more of the diet than is required).
Milk is not poison, meat is not poison, veg is not poison - unless you have an allergic reaction to it. There are nutrients in all edible food and may it be stew and dumplings or lentils and carrots, its all good for you if your body needs it.
No doubt I will be shot down for this but, I have over the years be told more than a few times that eating meat is bad for you, eating meat is murder, this is bad for you, and that is bad for you. It all comes down to personal choice, and whatever you eat and choose to eat, I hope you enjoy it. But don’t tell me what I’m eating is bad for me when I’m tucking into my mince and tatties
;)
Well said acameron, it's a personal choice. As long as it's not processed junk, sweeties and rubbish, who can say that anyone else is wrong.

emszxr
12-Oct-06, 21:51
my daughter who is 2 years loves her meat. we mostly eat venison which my hubby shoots and butchers himself. we also fattened up a pig earlier in the year and is now in my freezer.
i was a vegetarian once, teenage phase, but i like my meat too much.