PDA

View Full Version : did i take it too far??????

bigk
30-Sep-11, 15:57
some friends of ours have been quite astonished that i took my seven year old son to the police station lately to teach him a lesson....let me explain further,
my son came home with a magazine costing nearly three pounds knowing full well that he did not have that amount of money i asked him how he got it...eventually after a bit of quizzing he informed me that he stole it from our local shop.....wondering how best to deal with the situation i took him to the shop in question the following day after school and made him explain what he had done to the manager and paid for the item to ensure that i "nipped it in the bud" so to speak i then took him to the police station to explain what he had done....a very nice wpc explained to him the wrong in what he had done and so on,she also showed him the cells and explained to him that thats where they put the bad people that do bad things like stealing,anyway on our drive back home my son apologised to me and said he would never steal again...
Personally i think i got a better reaction from him and made more impact than grounding him or whatever....i would be interested in your replys on this!

................after one reply i would also like to add that i was never an angel when i was young by no stretch of the imagination i have never claimed to have been but i done this to hopefully make sure that my kids take a different outlook on life than i did...if my parents had done the same i possibly would have not got into the troubles that i have in life..i honestly do not think i would have got the same impact from grounding etc and we do not believe in smacking our kids which only lasts a short time anyway......thanks.

Allthatglitters
30-Sep-11, 16:05
I remember my dad doing the same with one of my brothers. He appeared home with a chocolate bar that he had no money for, he was around 8 at the time, and he had "helped himself" from the school tuckshop. My brother and dad saw the headmaster of the primary school the next day and then he was taken along to the local police station for a chat and shown the cells. It was a lesson learnt, especially when he realised there were no sweets in the cells!!!!!

weezer 316
30-Sep-11, 16:10
Top notch. Tbh I would have booted him up the backside, although I accept that likely wouldnt have got anywhere

annemarie482
30-Sep-11, 16:23
spot on, if only more parents acted in the same manner, we wouldnt be in the mess we are today.
a bit of respect goes a long way in life.

golach
30-Sep-11, 16:32
Well done to you, and well done the WPC

teddybear1873
30-Sep-11, 16:37
Good on ye bigk. Some parents would have just grounded them to the bedroom, while they played video games on their big HD telly:confused

gmcborgie
30-Sep-11, 16:45
Good on you! A hard lesson that he will remember for life.

sandyr1
30-Sep-11, 16:51
I agree 100%. Glad the Police were helpful.

John Little
30-Sep-11, 17:06
More than a lesson in right and wrong, you gave a him a lesson in responsible citizenship.

A very good lesson indeed; and a fine example to follow.

More - I think you are a very good father and he's a lucky boy to have someone who cares enough to take the time and trouble to do what you did.

steverolly
30-Sep-11, 17:38
we all pinched and we all got away with it kids do all sorts so wat let them be kids doin this doin that we all ave to learn grow ups ay wat can we say about u

golach
30-Sep-11, 17:47
we all pinched and we all got away with it kids do all sorts so wat let them be kids doin this doin that we all ave to learn grow ups ay wat can we say about u

To quote Captian Manwaring............You Stupid Boy!!!!!!!!!!! [disgust]

annemarie482
30-Sep-11, 17:47

after 2 attempts to read that, i think i get what your saying.
but totally disagree.
no child of mine will ever think that behaviour is acceptable nor will i will let such behaviour go unpunished.

Corrie 3
30-Sep-11, 18:16
I think you need a week or two in the cells....but...................I am guessing that you are an Internet Troll and just made your poor reply to get a reaction...never mind, one day you will grow up!!!

C3........[disgust][disgust]

Corrie 3
30-Sep-11, 18:18
BTW..............Good call bigk....Well done to you in showing your boy wrong from right!!!
Wish there were more like you!!!

C3................:):)

bekisman
30-Sep-11, 19:03
You did the right thing - although I expect there will be some pseudo-psychologists along soon..

Two of my boys were Tim 9 and Chris 7 who had got into a spot of bovver.. They were into Lego and they were desperate for some small figurine or something and it was decided that they - in cahoots with another; Denham, 8 year old - would try and help themselves to said item in Tesco.

Chris was the lookout and Tim & Denham would take it..

First thing we heard was a phone call from Tesco's manager to say they had three very frightened boys who had been nicked by an assistant there. I said I'd be up there straight away.

Having a close relationship with the Police in the town, I phoned a sergeant I knew who was on duty and said I'd be bringing two of our boys and could he 'have a word' in their ear.. Also phoned the Brockhill Remand Centre where arranged for another Officer to meet us there later..
To Tesco's, Denham's Dad had been and he had been whisked away. My boys to the Police station, where the sergeant - in a stern but firm manner explained the error of their ways, with a quick visit to the cells..

Onto Remand Centre, down the long drive and waiting by the imposing entrance was 'our' Prison Officer, complete with peaked cap down over his eyes and his arms folded.. a tour of the place and the cell, was all taken in by two wide-eyed kids, before returning home..
Was I wrong? well 32 years later both kids have passaged through life in an exemplary manner..

Those kids were not terrified or bullied, but simply shown by two Officers what 'could' happen..

You did the same, so well done bigk

witchschild
30-Sep-11, 19:17
Congratulations and well done for your positive response. A lesson learned and more positive parenting like this could well sort out problems before they start.

bigk
30-Sep-11, 19:33
i stole some things when i was young i have been there and done that and i know what you are saying"we all did it at some point right?"....yeah we did but i dont want my kids thinking it is ok to take something that is not theirs simply because i wish for my kids to have a different view on life than i did..i have been in bother i have been in the nick i want better for my kids and therefor feel sorry for any kids that you have/will produce if that is your reply .......

lindsaymcc
30-Sep-11, 19:42
Well done!

If the issue ever arises with my children, I would do exactly the same thing.

bigk
30-Sep-11, 19:42
I agree 100%. Glad the Police were helpful.
thank you so much......and yes i agree thank you to the dark haired wpc..(sorry i didnt get your name or number ) from thurso police station you done a great job and hopefully taught my wee one a lesson....no~one is 100% innocent in this life but i really hope to drag my kids onto a different path that i followed....once again thank you so much all.

bigk
30-Sep-11, 21:03
really thought of that weezer316.........but how long would that lesson stay with him.....but i know exactly what you mean pal..lol.

celtic lass
30-Sep-11, 22:36
some friends of ours have been quite astonished that i took my seven year old son to the police station lately to teach him a lesson....let me explain further,
my son came home with a magazine costing nearly three pounds knowing full well that he did not have that amount of money i asked him how he got it...eventually after a bit of quizzing he informed me that he stole it from our local shop.....wondering how best to deal with the situation i took him to the shop in question the following day after school and made him explain what he had done to the manager and paid for the item to ensure that i "nipped it in the bud" so to speak i then took him to the police station to explain what he had done....a very nice wpc explained to him the wrong in what he had done and so on,she also showed him the cells and explained to him that thats where they put the bad people that do bad things like stealing,anyway on our drive back home my son apologised to me and said he would never steal again...
Personally i think i got a better reaction from him and made more impact than grounding him or whatever....i would be interested in your replys on this!

................after one reply i would also like to add that i was never an angel when i was young by no stretch of the imagination i have never claimed to have been but i done this to hopefully make sure that my kids take a different outlook on life than i did...if my parents had done the same i possibly would have not got into the troubles that i have in life..i honestly do not think i would have got the same impact from grounding etc and we do not believe in smacking our kids which only lasts a short time anyway......thanks.Well good for you , a parent with common sense .To many parents nowadays say my kid would never do anything like that , pat on the back to you

Koi
30-Sep-11, 23:12
As spoken from the mouth of a 3 year old i knew "It's boring in there!" Sums up police cells!
I think its great what you did for your boy. Sure some people may think its extreme but i'm pretty sure you've scared your boy enough that he won't steal again. I would properly do the same and i'm glad that the police are happy to help children understand right from wrong.

Frith
30-Sep-11, 23:33
You did the right thing - although I expect there will be some pseudo-psychologists along soon..

Two of my boys were Tim 9 and Chris 7 who had got into a spot of bovver.. They were into Lego and they were desperate for some small figurine or something and it was decided that they - in cahoots with another; Denham, 8 year old - would try and help themselves to said item in Tesco.

Chris was the lookout and Tim & Denham would take it..

First thing we heard was a phone call from Tesco's manager to say they had three very frightened boys who had been nicked by an assistant there. I said I'd be up there straight away.

Having a close relationship with the Police in the town, I phoned a sergeant I knew who was on duty and said I'd be bringing two of our boys and could he 'have a word' in their ear.. Also phoned the Brockhill Remand Centre where arranged for another Officer to meet us there later..
To Tesco's, Denham's Dad had been and he had been whisked away. My boys to the Police station, where the sergeant - in a stern but firm manner explained the error of their ways, with a quick visit to the cells..

Onto Remand Centre, down the long drive and waiting by the imposing entrance was 'our' Prison Officer, complete with peaked cap down over his eyes and his arms folded.. a tour of the place and the cell, was all taken in by two wide-eyed kids, before returning home..
Was I wrong? well 32 years later both kids have passaged through life in an exemplary manner..

Those kids were not terrified or bullied, but simply shown by two Officers what 'could' happen..

You did the same, so well done bigk

I'm all for good parenting and well done, they must have been absolutely bricking it. I kinda feel for them a bit, no amount of lego is worth that!

rogermellie
01-Oct-11, 01:15
great that you took the action you did, but somewhere along the line you've made a boob, otherwise you're kid wouldn't think that stealing was okay.

linnie612
01-Oct-11, 02:06
great that you took the action you did, but somewhere along the line you've made a boob, otherwise you're kid wouldn't think that stealing was okay.

Gosh, yes! That deviant behaviour should have been nipped in the bud long before the boy reached the lofty age of seven.

sandyr1
01-Oct-11, 02:21

Think again before you say that!

bekisman
01-Oct-11, 07:57
You've not mentioned your kids; do tell..
but then again you're not on here for senisible discussion are you?

poppett
01-Oct-11, 08:13
Good call, wish more parents took the short sharp shock approach.

bigk
01-Oct-11, 10:26
i take it by you saying that that your kids are angels who would never do such a horrible thing.....you are one of these parents who are always first to say ' it wasnt my wee boy/lass honestly they wouldnt do that'........IF you are a parent,with that attitude do them a favour and move away!!!!

rogermellie
01-Oct-11, 11:05
lol here we go, how dare i have a different opinion

i'm a parent and can happily say that even at the tender age of 7 all my kids knew the difference between right and wrong ... or maybe they just never got caught.

trix
02-Oct-11, 02:26
probly better doin'ed yer way, aye.....

ma brither stole two pound notes fie ma mithers purse an' when he got found oot ma faither took him a walk oot til 'e grey bulls an' telt him that 'e next time he stole fie his mither he wid throw him over 'e rocks...

so 'e story goes anyway....

Dog-eared
02-Oct-11, 02:56
Ats e wey till do id.

nospropertyservices
02-Oct-11, 09:27
i totaly agree with your solution we need more parents like you in the area, when my wee one grows up the same thing will happen to her god forbid lol. people seem to turn a blind eye and mollycuddle there children because they are all little angels and yes they are but when they start to disrespect people and steal from people then they need to learn very quick that its wrong.well done to you "bigk"

donnick
02-Oct-11, 12:03
CLAP CLAP CLAP well done a mum with common sense and who openly admits that she was no angle but has learnt a lesson along the way .I actually felt a bit proud of what you did and i don't even know you.If only a few would take a lesson out of your book.I am ssure ur bairn has learnt a lesson too.

cat
02-Oct-11, 17:49
well done! but i do kind of think that at 7,could you not deal with it yourself? i hope everyone doesnt pop into the nearest police station if their bairn does something wrong. i know that when i was working in a shop it would annoy me when a kid was being bad when id hear the parent say till behave or the lady would give them a row!! i always felt like telling them till do it themselves! dont get me wrong,i do have kids so i know what they are like,but if they are bad then its my job to deal with it.

teddybear1873
02-Oct-11, 17:54
well done! but i do kind of think that at 7,could you not deal with it yourself? i hope everyone doesnt pop into the nearest police station if their bairn does something wrong. i know that when i was working in a shop it would annoy me when a kid was being bad when id hear the parent say till behave or the lady would give them a row!! i always felt like telling them till do it themselves! dont get me wrong,i do have kids so i know what they are like,but if they are bad then its my job to deal with it.

I don't think 7 is too young. If it was my kid at that age I would ask the police officer to show him inside the cells.

If that was me at the age of 7, I wouldn't be able to sit doon for a week..........Thank you father.

cat
02-Oct-11, 19:30
i didnt think it was too young to see inside a police station either,just thot at 7 yrs old surely a parent could do the job themselves? suppose every child is different and every parent is too.

pmcd
02-Oct-11, 19:49
In this scenario, the policeman is seen as an ally of the parent, and the result is nothing more than a friendly warning. Kid thinks cops are a good thing, and not the enemy. Net result, a bit of understanding and a better society. Well done, all concerned!

sandyr1
02-Oct-11, 21:19
In this scenario, the policeman is seen as an ally of the parent, and the result is nothing more than a friendly warning. Kid thinks cops are a good thing, and not the enemy. Net result, a bit of understanding and a better society. Well done, all concerned!

Yes, that is what I thought this Thread/situation was about.
Patently obvious...................... Perhaps some people didn't think about it this way!

bekisman
02-Oct-11, 21:42

First you say "well done", then immediately cancel that by saying she should have done it herself. The situation was not as you mention as an example of a kid 'making a nuisance of itself in a shop' but stealing, which requires rather more explicit action..

cat
03-Oct-11, 10:57
i realy mean well done.i dont think it was too far,which is what was asked. and it was great how it was dealt with at the police station too,credit where its due. and i know that stealing has to be dealt with more seriously than playing up in a shop. i mearly ment that on another day,it might of been someone different at the police station,or they might of been too busy and surely a parent could deal with it themselves. it was great it worked out the way it did tho.

bigk
04-Oct-11, 08:12
thanks for all the replys first of all i am the 'father' of the seven year old not the mum!lol and done what i did with the full backing of my wife/mother of said child, Cat i know exactly what you mean so dont worry i could have dealt with the situation myself yes but i wanted to make a big impression on my wee one so he learnt first time round and had already gone to the police station by myself before taking my wee one along and it was explained to me that they would 'have a word' if an officer was present and not busy....as the very nice wpc said to me they would rather do something like they did than have to go round someones house and deal with all the paperwork so in a way i saved them that journey etc as well as teaching my lad not to steal again so two birds with one stone could be used...........thank again for all replys.

cat
04-Oct-11, 10:00
i wasnt getting at you,just there is plenty of people who would have done nothing,and plenty of others that would want someone else to deal with their kids. this obv isnt the case with you as you had already dealt with it very well without the police,but its great that you spoke to them and they "had a word" . hopefuly it will of made a lasting impression.

oldmarine
04-Oct-11, 22:59

................after one reply i would also like to add that i was never an angel when i was young by no stretch of the imagination i have never claimed to have been but i done this to hopefully make sure that my kids take a different outlook on life than i did...if my parents had done the same i possibly would have not got into the troubles that i have in life..i honestly do not think i would have got the same impact from grounding etc and we do not believe in smacking our kids which only lasts a short time anyway......thanks.
I had to do the same thing with one of my 4 children. After it was done, we never again had that problem.

sassylass
04-Oct-11, 23:38
Your son won't soon forget that lesson. Children benefit from strong, fair guidance, and I don't mean 'the stick'.