PDA

View Full Version : Previous viewed websites

teddybear1873
30-Sep-11, 01:05
Talking about before the org, google, facebook, youtube came along.

What was your website that you popped in and out off?

Before 2000, the only ones I can really remember using on a regular basis were cnet, imdb, askjeeves, amazon and ebay. I think I also used astavista as my search engine.

The chat program I used was ICQ, It must be 10 years ago since I used that. That damn annoying sound 'uh oh'

Changed days indeed.

Wizzbang
30-Sep-11, 01:16
I used to use Webcrawler for a search engine. Just checked and its still up and running.
Lycos as an email account but they closed down some time ago.

I also had an AOL account. lol installed from a free disk. A dial up modem at 28kbs

teddybear1873
30-Sep-11, 01:21
I used to use Webcrawler for a search engine. Just checked and its still up and running.
Lycos as an email account but they closed down some time ago.

I also had an AOL account. lol installed from a free disk. A dial up modem at 28kbs

Lol, remember Lycos and Webcrawler. That AOL disk was a pain in my posterior.

ducati
30-Sep-11, 06:46
Dial up freeserve, I think I still have the same account now but it has morphed to Yahoo via Wanadoo.

Actually thats clap thinking about it, because we went digital with BT about 8 years ago.

Not digital, broadband. I'm getting too old for this!

Bobinovich
30-Sep-11, 09:31
Software Warehouse which then became Jungle.com was where I bought most of my gear from. E-mail started on Compuserve then got a Softnet address prior to getting my own domain. Altavista was my search engine. Had dial up then ISDN (BT Business Highway) for a couple of years before broadband appeared. Don't remember much else tbh!

weezer 316
30-Sep-11, 13:25
I can remember seeing a computer in 1992 from our local college (I was 8) and it had internet access. The guy was using bulletin boards because there was no webpages!

I think about 1997 i started using the net. Used to use yahoo! and mIRC for chat!

joxville
30-Sep-11, 18:24
A very good question teddybear; it was so long ago I can't recall what sites I visited, though Ebay must have been one of them because I still have the same account. I used AOL when I first got on the internet, I hated that awful dial-up tone. I think I probably just looked at motoring and photography websites, since they have been long time interests of mine.

teddybear1873
30-Sep-11, 18:30
A very good question teddybear; it was so long ago I can't recall what sites I visited, though Ebay must have been one of them because I still have the same account. I used AOL when I first got on the internet, I hated that awful dial-up tone. I think I probably just looked at motoring and photography websites, since they have been long time interests of mine.

Yep, I get you on those photography websites Jox ;) lol.

joxville
30-Sep-11, 18:58
Oh yeah, I forgot about those ones, lol.

Torvaig
11-Oct-11, 09:37
Not quite on the original subject..... during a visit to the Prudential Insurance's Head Office in London in the 70s I saw my first computer! It was housed in a large room; consisted of many white cabinets and all the operatives wore white coats. We weren't allowed into the room; could only look through glass walls! I was astounded at the amount of information held on large reels - probably stored in a full stop these days!

I'm glad they are now made slightly smaller.......:lol:

RecQuery
11-Oct-11, 09:53
I got online in 94 or 95 I forget which. Beyond the sites already mentioned. AltaVista and Slashdot were fairly popular. I used ICQ myself and something called IRC which has been around forever and is still used. A while back Google published their index from 2001 it was pretty interesting to see what was popular and what different terms would bring up.

Some mentioned the BBS, which was a precursor to the consumer internet. There's a Creative Commons (basically free) BBS documentary that's pretty interesting. You can find it for download in a few places, but there's a video of part 1 here (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1731271864657931901).

brandy
11-Oct-11, 10:27
the first time i went online was when i was 18.. so that was in 1995, i used web-crawler.. and i remember there was a spider web with a cartoony black spider on the page!
i first chatted in a chat room called hyperchat UK (HUK) and it was where i eventually met hubby *Laughs* scary thought!!
i used hotmail, and ICQ
wow, and sending e-cards was the coolest thing ever!!

gillsbay
11-Oct-11, 16:56
I remember logging onto BBS using an acoustic modem (where you put the handset into the modem and it picked up the sounds from the modem) way back when, first isp was Caithness Multi-Media who resold Zetnet (who were Shetland based and are one of the oldest isps in the uk). I don't remember the sites I visited but it is interesting to think that ebay, amazon etc were on the go in the90s

brandy
11-Oct-11, 18:21
i def. remember 28.8 bps.. and there was one before that.. i started out with win 95, i think it was anyway*laughs* i do remember my mates pc was an ibm.. and i thought it was the coolest thing ever!

ducati
11-Oct-11, 19:40
i def. remember 28.8 bps.. and there was one before that.. i started out with win 95, i think it was anyway*laughs* i do remember my mates pc was an ibm.. and i thought it was the coolest thing ever!

You started with 16 bit OS???? Young people these days.................[lol]

RecQuery
11-Oct-11, 22:04
I started with an Amstrad, my first PC I got when I was 12/13, it was an Olivetti. I forget if it ran 95 from the start or if it had 3.1 or 3.2 for workgroups and I upgraded. It cost £1299. My smartphone is about 20 times more powerful than it now.

Angel
11-Oct-11, 22:35
My first encounter with these computers things was a sinclair ZX80 then an ZX81 with a big black brick attached with a full 1k memory... then I went at collage doing systems analisys... They were IBM's and had Winchester discs about 12 diameter which were stacked 8 high in a room full of fans... Whist I was there I was given a Sharp PC1248 (which I still have). This is a hand held device the size of a scientific calculator. Then I got a Amstrad 1512 then a 1640 with color monitor which weighed more than my car...lol... (just noticed this is an American auto spellchecker). Fist internet was via AOL 2 via Windows 3 then 3.11 and AOL 3... It was great until I realised they would not let you see anything outside of their AOL SYSTEM... i broke through AOL eventually and opened an e-mail account with Freezone which I still use to this day (along with others)... Tried Compuserve and Netscape then Internet explorer (can't remeber what release)... then google about 2000 ish... Currently using Windows 98, XP and 7 (on different machines)... My first P.C was made up for me with all the top spec of the day.. 405MEG HD 4 meg memory 5 1/2 & 3 1/4 floppys... 14.4 kb modem...

Sorry for waffleing on... what a nostalgia trip...lol...

Angel...

ducati
12-Oct-11, 08:04
The first time I saw Windows 95 I Freeked it was that fast.

Then, when we migrated to a windows network from Novell it seemed like the world had changed gear.:lol:

secrets in symmetry
12-Oct-11, 23:14
I started with an Amstrad, my first PC I got when I was 12/13, it was an Olivetti. I forget if it ran 95 from the start or if it had 3.1 or 3.2 for workgroups and I upgraded. It cost £1299. My smartphone is about 20 times more powerful than it now.Did you live in China when you were running Windows 3.2?

teddybear1873
13-Oct-11, 00:57
The first time I saw Windows 95 I Freeked it was that fast.

Then, when we migrated to a windows network from Novell it seemed like the world had changed gear.:lol:

And it went down a few gears with Windows ME.

RecQuery
13-Oct-11, 07:38
Did you live in China when you were running Windows 3.2? I always make that mistake, I seem to think 3.11 is 3.2 probably because at the time it was odd for anything to use minor versions and revisioning.

secrets in symmetry
14-Oct-11, 23:40
I always make that mistake, I seem to think 3.11 is 3.2 probably because at the time it was odd for anything to use minor versions and revisioning.I was pretty sure there was no 3.2, but I Googled it to make sure.... So I was surprised to discover that there was indeed a Windows 3.2 - but only in Chinese!

That gave me an idea...

Let's create a Caithness Linux distribution, I suggest calling it Staxigoe - because cool people come from there - or Culltrix if it were BSD based. :cool:

It would come bundled wi' e native commands: e macs, e vince, e grep, e Wordies document processor, e ChunderBirdie mail client....

ducati
15-Oct-11, 06:50
I was pretty sure there was no 3.2, but I Googled it to make sure.... So I was surprised to discover that there was indeed a Windows 3.2 - but only in Chinese!

That gave me an idea...

Let's create a Caithness Linux distribution, I suggest calling it Staxigoe - because cool people come from there - or Culltrix if it were BSD based. :cool:

It would come bundled wi' e native commands: e macs, e vince, e grep, e Wordies document processor, e ChunderBirdie mail client....

How about e Leaning fo after a bottle of Old Pultney

RecQuery
17-Oct-11, 08:46
I was pretty sure there was no 3.2, but I Googled it to make sure.... So I was surprised to discover that there was indeed a Windows 3.2 - but only in Chinese!

That gave me an idea...

I did this for the LUG I was in at uni actually, they gave it out at one of the Software Freedom Days. Also did a slightly more involved 5MB live CD distro at one of my previous jobs, it basically just boot and then opened a terminal services login screen to a Windows serve it was used as a stopgap measure of increasing client machines using old hardware.

The easy way to do it is to just remaster an existing distro using remastersys or reconstructor, as for commands, shell script wrappers, aliases or symlinks are probably the way to go.

secrets in symmetry
17-Oct-11, 23:22
I once planned to use Remastersys to produce a distro called Barbieken as a competitor to Debian. :cool:

I'd probably use wrappers for the new commands - it's the lazy man's solution.