PDA

View Full Version : Scottish or Gaelic names

Sarah
29-Sep-11, 00:10
I'm getting a new dog on Friday. Trying to think of names...I like Scottish names, like lochs, mountains, islands, glens etc and Gaelic words also. At the moment I am thinking Sula, which I really like, but I'm scared of missing a good name :lol:

She's a brindle greyhound, looking for female names :)

carasmam
29-Sep-11, 19:33
Sula is a great name. Morven ? :)

The Happy Humanist
29-Sep-11, 20:21
I've heard a few Sula's being called recently, its very nice.
Morven is nice too. How about Suilven, after the other mountain : combines the two but just a bit different?Enjoy your new doggie :D

Wizzbang
29-Sep-11, 23:25
Dileas pronounced Jee-lass means faithful I think . I'm not a gaelic speaker
My Girlfriend thinks you should call her Whiskey

patsy1
18-Oct-11, 15:48
tigh-na and either your first name or your surname. tigh-na translates as home of so it would be home of sara etc tigh-na for short

poppett
18-Oct-11, 18:30
Eilidh means Helen or Nell. I had a collie by that name.

Cieulidh means collie.....she came with that name as a rescue dog and was 3/4 spaniel.

Sarah
20-Oct-11, 14:07
Dileas pronounced Jee-lass means faithful I think . I'm not a gaelic speaker
My Girlfriend thinks you should call her Whiskey

Having an alcoholic father, I need no more reminders of whiskey! :p
I love Dileas, always have done, but I think of it being more a male dog name.

Sarah
20-Oct-11, 14:08
Eilidh means Helen or Nell. I had a collie by that name.

Cieulidh means collie.....she came with that name as a rescue dog and was 3/4 spaniel.

I like Eilidh, but I think its a bit human :) Never heard Cieulidh before, how is that pronounced?

Commore
21-Oct-11, 11:11
I'm getting a new dog on Friday. Trying to think of names...I like Scottish names, like lochs, mountains, islands, glens etc and Gaelic words also. At the moment I am thinking Sula, which I really like, but I'm scared of missing a good name :lol:

She's a brindle greyhound, looking for female names :)

We are of the same frame of mind, currently we have, Caolas (the cat) Gunna (dog) Rhum (dog) Canna (dog) Lewis (dog) Rhuaridh (dog) Harris (dog, has new owners) Muck (dog, now called Jake and has new owners), Coll and Tyree were others we have used before,
in girls we have Cara, Rona, in the past we have had Iona, Shuna, Isla (Islay),
we think the gaelic language is wonderful for pets names too.
:)