PDA

View Full Version : Abandoned Vehicles

bigpete
11-Oct-06, 08:50
'Out West' in North sutherland, the whole area is littered with wrecked cars, with a regular comment by visitors of "why don't they get rid of them"? well the Council will for a considerable sum, there are no 'dumps' around, it's too far from Thurso to be collected as scrap, so why don't the Highland Council follow the example below? (down there, there are facilities to get rid of 'em, but still get assistance from the Council)

Plea to surrender unwanted cars
Police are urging residents to surrender their abandoned cars before the end of an unwanted car amnesty. The Bin the Banger campaign is a joint project between Lancashire police, the fire service and Hyndburn council. During the amnesty, the council will collect and dispose of unwanted cars free of charge. Councillor Peter Clarke, from Hyndburn Council, said "Abandoned vehicles blight the environment, are dangerous and can lead to further crime."
Unclaimed cars The Bin the Banger scheme is supported by the Home Office Safer, Stronger Communities Fund and is due to end this month. Owners must agree to legally surrender the car by completing the blue section on the Vehicle Registration Document and send it with an accompanying letter requesting removal to the council.

willowbankbear
11-Oct-06, 09:27
Did somebody not post on here that the reason there are so many abandoned cars around was to scare off foxes? I agree with ye , they are eyesores though.

saxovtr
11-Oct-06, 10:40
i had a car for the fields to get it up lifted a company wanted 80 quid!! i got a loader+tractor+trailer crushed it and sum1 took it for free!!! so the price of picking scrap cars up is putting people of i suspect,but yeh it is an eye sore

connieb19
11-Oct-06, 10:59
Wasnt Speedy skips in Thurso taking them for nothing?

saxovtr
11-Oct-06, 13:45
it was them that gave me the stupid price

willowbankbear
11-Oct-06, 14:01
A bit steep to park near the sheep,
At £80 a tow, I wid say no!

saxovtr
11-Oct-06, 14:32
i asked how much,'£80 sir' he got a swift beep beep in his ear(me hanging up) im not paying that price the car only cost 40 quid lol

willowbankbear
11-Oct-06, 14:33
My bike cost more than that[lol]

saxovtr
11-Oct-06, 14:42
i bet your bike has more stable suspension and 2more pumped tyres than the car lol probably goes faster 2 lol

Fran
12-Oct-06, 00:29
I see in the Courier today that dumped cars will be uplifted free for a short period.

thrumsterloon
12-Oct-06, 20:32
If anyone needs rid of any old Sierras a mate of mine would be interested