PDA

View Full Version : Early '50's holidaying in Wick

Tony S
28-Sep-11, 14:44
“Over the Ord”

Came across your site when my ageing brain cells were triggered into remembering Wick and spending three of my summer holidays there, back in the early ‘50’s. Got me to thinking whatever happened to my relatives the Sinclair-Faulds, (by marriage only).

The book “Over the Ord” was, I was told at that time, written by an“uncle” and I did have a copy for many years, now sadly lost with my and my now deceased parents, many moves.

The relation link by marriage was thro’ John Sinclair –Faulds, a carpenter who moved south into “enemy”territory, before the second world war and married my mother’s, mother’s sister, Sylvia Horne. They had a daughter Jean* in the 1920’s who was my second cousin and it was with her that I had the pleasure of holidaying in Wick. The return train fare was £10.2s.4d ! It took 23 hours from Birmingham and we changed twice. From Inverness as dawn was breaking up that eastern coast was some of the finest sunrises that I have ever seen, but too young to really appreciate it’s beauty at the time sadly .

* John, Sylvia and Jean have all passed away now, so I am unable to get any more info…

We stayed at a Bed & Breakfast called “Amhurst” Malcolm Street, which was attached to a church. It was run by “uncle” George (John’s brother) and “Auntie” Jenny their sister I was lead to believe. Their hospitality and food was second to none, if only my inexperienced young palate could have appreciated it more fully. The fresh fish that Uncle George used to get from the returning fishing boats in the morning…the taste and flavour has never been matched since, despite all Birds Eyes claims to freshness !

Whether the B & B was owned by them or the church I do not know, only that it was crammed full of a plethora of antiques, old furniture and paintings, which would keep the“Antique Road Show” busy for weeks !

It had several permanent boarders who I recall were either Customs & Excise officers or Airport officials…Riddock and Thoms comes to mind as they were very patient with me and kept me amused when they returned from their day jobs. I had found when playing in the over grown garden that the lawn had several holes in it, which transpired to be a small putting green. After I cut it with a lawn mower, it became quite presentable and upon their returning home that particular evening, the boarders produced some golf clubs and proceeded to show me the rudiments of golf.

NB I see on Street Google that it is still there and the lawn looking if it’s to be returfed or seeded?

Another “Uncle” that I met briefly, I believe was the Chief Constable, maybe that explained why “uncle”George could take me target shooting with an air rifle along the rocks on the coast ?

Another memory was of Alec Borthwick, married to Annie (another of John’s sisters perhaps?) and their son George, a very clever talented but shy lad, slightly older than I. Alec I think was a senior member in the Customs & Excise Office.

Cabrelli’s Ice cream and café, another fond memory. They used to put us up a picnic lunch if we went out to Reiss sands, with proper fresh dairy butter, hmmm so tasty, nothing to compare today, and Elsa or Irma their daughter, whom I had a huge crush on, hmmm so tasty yet again ! We walked along the beach passed a castle and spoke to a lady there, as we went along, since found out that it was the Queen Mothers Castle of Mey.

Thanks for reading my ramblings, would love to return and see what it’s like now “in the flesh” and find out what’s happened since to family etc, So many fond memories, my wife sadly not a good traveller, so I cannot see me ever revisiting one of my favourite teenage holiday destinations…

Would appreciate your posting this on your Forum to see if anyone can update me please.

From Tony Savage SaltashCornwall (…the other end of the mainland!)

gleeber
28-Sep-11, 17:15
Hello Tony. Although I cant help you by virtue of living on the sunny side of Caithess your thread was a treat to read. Im sure there are a few on here who will recall your connections and I will point an old Wick friend to your thread in the hope he may know some of your connections.
I felt moved to welcome you to the org.

poppett
28-Sep-11, 18:05
Hello Tony, and welcome from me too.

I thoroughly enjoyed your post and could almost smell the sea air around that fresh fish.

I do hope someone will be along soon to share your memories in greater detail.

Tony S
28-Sep-11, 18:40
Many thanks for those thoughtful kind replies.

Look forward to receiving similar comments.

The B & B was "Amherst" with an "e" by the way, I see there's a Play school named such at no. 2 William Street

Tony S from an exceptionally hot Cornish day for late Septmber.